Dana 35 to Dana 44 swap

Then I need educated on installing pinion nut. I have a torque wrench but am unfamiliar on this special tool you guys speak of. The pinion gears do have very slight rub marks on the tip. So it does look like the pinion slipped away from the yoke and made contact with the internals. Ill do some research but would appreciate any feedback on how to make sure I'm I'm doing this right the first time. Really don't want to take to a gear shop but will if I need to.

View attachment 395962

View attachment 395964

View attachment 395965

I don't see any REAL damage to the pinion gear teeth. With the forces related to the gears getting the marks you have doesn't surprise me. The ARB in my CRD60 is marred up worse than yours. But I also ate some teeth in mine. IMO if it was mine I'd run those gears just pay attention to any noises and don't ignore them.

As already stated I'd get the FSM and following the book on how to replace a seal. If you don't have the inch lb torque wrench you can rent one from a parts store many times.

Reactions: reddvltj
Pull up the FSM for the Rubicon and read the directions on replacing the pinion seal as it will cover the proper procedure.

It's been too long since I've done a Rubicon axle for me to comment on the proper way to do it.

Edit: I would recommend that you install a new seal since you have the yoke off. And while some disagree I'd install a U-bolt style yoke instead of the strap style yoke.

The video @cpwolf linked is a Dana 35 rear axle & while similar here is a Dana 44 rear axle pinion seal replacement video.

Only issue on this video, is that he doesn’t test the torque to spin the nut with the jeep raised and wheels off. If I remember correctly, the FSM said to turn it with the torque, get that setting, do the job, and tighten the pinion nut, then check the torque, should be what it was when you started, if not tighten it more and keep testing until it’s there. Then done.

Only issue on this video, is that he doesn’t test the torque to spin the nut with the jeep raised and wheels off. If I remember correctly, the FSM said to turn it with the torque, get that setting, do the job, and tighten the pinion nut, then check the torque, should be what it was when you started, if not tighten it more and keep testing until it’s there. Then done.

I'll have to look at the FSM as I'm not sure if the Rubicon axles have a crush sleeve or not. If they don't then you tighten to a specified amount and then double check the preload. With a Dana 35 which has a crush sleeve than yes you tighten until you reach the specified preload. What can SUCK about this is when you've tightened it too far and then have to pull the pinion back out and install a new crush sleeve. Don't ask how I know.

Then I need educated on installing pinion nut. I have a torque wrench but am unfamiliar on this special tool you guys speak of. The pinion gears do have very slight rub marks on the tip. So it does look like the pinion slipped away from the yoke and made contact with the internals. Ill do some research but would appreciate any feedback on how to make sure I'm I'm doing this right the first time. Really don't want to take to a gear shop but will if I need to.

View attachment 395962

View attachment 395964

View attachment 395965

Its a rubicon dana 44. To put the yoke and nut back on you simply torque the nut to spec.but i wouldn't do that

Since it came loose before, you need to make sure it won't happen again.especially since it was neglected.

Gotta pull out the carrier and then slide the pinion out. Check the pinion bearings and races for any pitting or grooving and replace as needed.

Reassembling the pinion you need a dial type inch pound wrench and possibly new/different pinion shims to set bearing preload on reassembly. But only if you use new bearings.

There is a string and pick trick to getting the carrier back in with the dumb sensor in the side of the diff. Or just unscrew it and plug the hole since it isn't going back in a rubicon.

I agree with wildman.i wouldn't condemn the gears yet

And check the locker before it goes back in! Just blowing into the air bladder with a clean piece of vacuum hose and rotating the side gears will tell you a lot

One more thing. Front dana 30 yokes are a great way to convert to your jeeps 1310 ujoints. Use pinion seals for a non rubicon rear Dana 44 in both rubi axles with the Dana 30 yokes.

Last edited:
Here is the FSM page for installing the yoke back on.

1675060732551.png

I use a pipe wrench or a yoke tool to hold it you don't need the fancy spanner.

Its a rubicon dana 44. To put the yoke and nut back on you simply torque the nut to spec.but i wouldn't do that

Since it came loose before, you need to make sure it won't happen again.especially since it was neglected.

Gotta pull out the carrier and then slide the pinion out. Check the pinion bearings and races for any pitting or grooving and replace as needed.

Reassembling the pinion you need a dial type inch pound wrench and possibly new/different pinion shims to set bearing preload on reassembly. But only if you use new bearings.

There is a string and pick trick to getting the carrier back in with the dumb sensor in the side of the diff. Or just unscrew it and plug the hole since it isn't going back in a rubicon.

And check the locker before it goes back in! Just blowing into the air bladder with a clean piece of vacuum hose and rotating the side gears will tell you a lot

I do agree that it would be a good idea to pull the carrier and take a look at the pinion bearings. And I won't tell you how long I fought with the sensor when I'd done a regear for a club member who had a Rubicon. It was a PITA.

Reactions: Rickyd

One more thing. Front dana 30 yokes are a great way to convert to your jeeps 1310 ujoints. Use pinion seals for a non rubicon rear Dana 44 in both rubi axles with the Dana 30 yokes.

What is the torque spec on a dana 44 front pinion nut? I saw 250 min but I am getting vibes from the front at that value and ujoints feel ok.