Dana 44 axle leaking all over the place

CentxTJ

Got under my (new to me) jeep today to start looking around in preparation to tackle sye and adjustable control arms. Noticed way too much diff fluid coming out the the rear axle around both wheels and where the pinion enters the rear axle.

Axle is a Dana 44 with Eaton true track and 4.10 gears (installed in 2019). Brakes are disk. Fill plug is tight as shit so haven't checked fluid level yet. Don't have my breaker bar and don't really want to put an impact on it. Front Axle is a Dana 35 with gears and true track installed at the same time. No issues up front.

Breather seems to be clear. Obviously I am not gonna drive it till I get the plug off the diff and can make sure it has fluid.

Is this a job worth doing or is it worth taking it to the shop? Any insight is appreciated.

IMG_3431.jpeg

IMG_3432.jpeg

IMG_3435.jpeg

IMG_3435.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: Necro
Both axle seals need replacing as well as the pinion seal. You can check the fluid level in the differential, fill as necessary and run it until such time you can fix the seals.
I don't know what level of mechanical experience you're at but to replace the axle seals the bearings have to come off. A hydraulic press is a good idea and the usual way to remove the axle bearings is to use a grinder and cold chisel to remove and press on. You'll buy new seals, bearings and retaining rings for reassembly.
The pinion seal isn't quite as in depth but will also take some tools you may not have like a very large torque wrench.
Only you know your capabilities and your willingness to do it yourself. I prefer to do the work myself, although there's no shame in taking it to a shop.There's lots of good videos available as well as forum members willing to offer advice.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Both axle seals need replacing as well as the pinion seal. You can check the fluid level in the differential, fill as necessary and run it until such time you can fix the seals.
I don't know what level of mechanical experience you're at but to replace the axle seals the bearings have to come off. A hydraulic press is a good idea and the usual way to remove the axle bearings is to use a grinder and cold chisel to remove and press on. You'll buy new seals, bearings and retaining rings for reassembly.
The pinion seal isn't quite as in depth but will also take some tools you may not have like a very large torque wrench.
Only you know your capabilities and your willingness to do it yourself. I prefer to do the work myself, although there's no shame in taking it to a shop.There's lots of good videos available as well as forum members willing to offer advice.

Thanks for the reply. I checked the fluid today.. poured out the plug as soon as I screwed it off. PO might have overfilled it if it is that full after leaking as much as it did. I also pulled a hub to make sure the little plate that goes on was facing the correct direction (lip in I believe)

After getting one side off I think I’m gonna do the job myself. Now to find a buddy with a press

Reactions: flyinfish and Necro
Thanks for the reply. I checked the fluid today.. poured out the plug as soon as I screwed it off. PO might have overfilled it if it is that full after leaking as much as it did. I also pulled a hub to make sure the little plate that goes on was facing the correct direction (lip in I believe)

After getting one side off I think I’m gonna do the job myself. Now to find a buddy with a press

It's not a tough job, just take your time and only grind the inner bearing races enough to fracture them with a cold chisel and not cut into your axle. On the bearing retainer ring, you can use a pilot drill bit followed by a larger bit to remove enough material before hitting it with a cold chisel.
If you can't find a buddy with a press and have the room, Harbor Freight has 20 Ton presses for pretty cheap. If you have a coupon or they're on sale it's a big savings over regular price.

Last edited:

And then after you get done you realize you put the bearings or retainer plate on backwards...

Last edited:
Since the diff was overfilled I would correct the fluid level then wait and see if the leaks persist.

That’s a good call… I let some drain out till it was below the fill plug level. Will prob still tackle seals for my own peace of mind