Dana 44 Axle Shaft Bearing Race Stuck

Kerndone

Supporting Member
A couple weeks ago I noticed my rear driver side axle tube was leaking. I had just switched bolt patterns, so inevitable, I only had myself to blame. Background too... I swapped discs to my 99 TJ, and the axle shaft retaining plates were for drums, with a spacer placed between that and the 9912 seal. This was a mediocre solution at best, but I was leak free for 5 years.

So today, I have everything ready to replace the retainer plates with the correct style (for discs), and replace the seal with a 9912S (and a new bearing and retainer ring). Since I am digging so far into my axle, I also decided to do my rear caliper flip for outboarding at some point in the future.

I have everything torn down, but I cannot get the driver side bearing race out. A couple things I noticed...

There is a chunk of metal in the axle shaft tube itself, right where the bearing race should seat. I have no idea where it came from, but I am wondering if it deformed the race ever so slightly to put a bump on it that won't let the race come out. I also noticed some very minor scratches, likely from me re-installing the axle shaft a month or so ago.

Any ideas how to get this race out? Do I carefully cut it, or do you all have any tricks!? I also plan on taking some emery cloth to the housing itself to soften those ridges.
20230520_130010.jpg

metalDebris.jpg

metalScratches.jpg

Update, race is out, no cutting required! I hit the outside edge of the tube with some emery cloth. And several minutes and some sore fingertips later, I was able to walk it out very carefully.

Any thoughts if those scratches in the bottom of the tube are a cause for concern, or likely the source of my initial leak? With the 9912S, I think it is supposed to be slightly more forgiving... but I don't know if a touch of RTV for gear oil would be smart. Or, put it all back together and check for leaks.

Thank you!