Dana 44 cover marks inside

ALScott

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
6360DD41-E7A6-4404-90D7-6A73D44FD5DA.jpeg
Are these marks/streaks normal? I don’t see any chunks of metal anywhere. The marks are not raised or deep.

IDK squat but i see 2 different sets of marks. 1 (red) set is inline with might could be some very slight contact to a rotating surface.
and the other (yellow) appears as an abrasive slung from this rotating device.
if you feel nothin i'd not worry about it............... unless your not showing us a dent on the other side.

any witnesses on the ring gear?

dif scrapes.PNG

View attachment 279333Are these marks/streaks normal? I don’t see any chunks of metal anywhere. The marks are not raised or deep.
The only thing I could add to the other responses would be; were there any metallic particles in the gear lube when you drained the pumpkin ?
Could you provide a couple pictures of the carrier and ring gear assembly ?

No dents in cover and I didn't find any metal bits inside and none on the magnet. The fluid was very, very dark though. Cover is back on so no pics, sorry. I didn't see any marks on anything really. To be fair, my knowledge of these extends to changing fluid in the front and rear yesterday for the first time. Which one is the ring gear and carrier?

No dents in cover and I didn't find any metal bits inside and none on the magnet. The fluid was very, very dark though. Cover is back on so no pics, sorry. I didn't see any marks on anything really. To be fair, my knowledge of these extends to changing fluid in the front and rear yesterday for the first time. Which one is the ring gear and carrier?
The carrier (locker, limited slip, open) is mounted with bearings clamped and bolted to the housing interior, the ring gear has teeth and is bolted to the carrier. The ring gear meshes with pinion which the yoke bolted to and then the rear driveshaft connects to the yoke.