Dash lights problem/ circuit board burnt?

TBEDDY

Hey all! This is one of my first posts here, glad to be a part of the community. I was fixing the dash lights and doing an LED conversion for the instrument panel. The first light I went to fix was the middle light the lights up the gauges (ILM, BL3 for reference). I plugged the dash back in and turned on the lights, the second I turned them on smoke came from the dash. I quickly unplugged it and checked to see what was wrong. After taking the white panel off the back, it seems that the burn was on the circuit board. Anyone know what this is or how to fix it?
image.jpg
image.jpg

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Welcome to the forum. It's possible the LED bulb was inserted backwards or in such a way that it presented a complete short causing that circuit board path to burn.

For someone who's a good solderer of small devices that's an easy repair. I have repaired many burned circuit board paths like that. It's nothing more than cleaning any protective coating off the path so you have a bare copper path showing. Then solder a small gauge wire, about the same size as the circuit board path across the burned part. A small 20-25 watt soldering iron with some small diameter rosin core solder is what you want, avoid acid core solder like plumbers use.

And a big welcome to WTF! :)

Reactions: TJ Jim