Dash Switch Connector

LJTay

Hey all,
I've been searching the internet for days trying to find information on the dash switches for factory locker / hard top switches. The switches are available on eBay, as are some connectors. I want to know if all switches / connectors are the same between functions (locker, rear wiper, etc). Each connector is $10(!), so does anyone know where this connector is used on other vehicles at the junkyard?

I'm trying to upgrade my non-hard top, non-rubicon LJ with an OEM look.
(I'm working on a 3D printed design for two rows of factory switches, but that's besides the point.)

Thanks!
-Taylor

Last edited:
Hey all,
I've been searching the internet for days trying to find information on the dash switches for factory locker / hard top switches. The switches are available on eBay, as are some connectors. I want to know if all switches / connectors are the same between functions (locker, rear wiper, etc).

Pretty sure each switch has its own unique function and connector.
Are you adding factory Rubicon axles?

Reactions: chili_pepper
Just looked at your profile.
You probably won't want to use the factory locker switch for your Yukon lockers.
Plus there won't be any factory switches for accessories you add that weren't factory.
Better off picking a switch style you like for all the different functions you plan on adding.

Last edited:
Just looked at your profile.
You probably won't want to use the factory locker switch for your Yukon lockers.
Better off picking a switch style you like for all the different functions you plan on adding.

Why so? I’m planning to use factory style switches for my ARB’s. They’ll be wired to be able to be activated at any time in any order.

Reactions: Viking Jeeper
The connectors and switches for OEM units are unique. The locker switch does different things if you push it up vs down. The defrost and wiper likely also have timers, intermittent settings etc. Aftermarket switches that go there and look factory are available. As far I have seen all of those are simple on/off. If your Jeep did not come with hardtop factory its likely not going to have the wiring to the rear for wiper and defrost and retrofitting is a bit of a project.

Last edited:
I have a degree in mechanical engineering, so I’ve gone through and designed my own hard top circuit. I do need to play around with the factory switch functions just to get the wiring correct. Other outputs (from the locker switches, for example) I will bypass if needed. It’s definitely been a project to retrofit but very enjoyable. Rather than buy a second washer pump and bottle, I just put a solenoid inline and will direct flow to the rear using the single pump. I’m surprised I didn’t come across anyone else doing it.

In the end I’ll have 8 switch spots (2 rows of 4), and I’ll repurpose my ash tray blank for a digital gauge for air pressure, a 12v socket and 2 USBs.
The switches I’m planning on having are: compressor, front locker, rear locker, rear washer, rear defrost, winch, light bar and one blank.
I just recently finished putting in locking doors, so I may use that blank for a central door locking switch.

Anyways, it sounds like nobody has info on where to get those oem plugs besides buying on eBay.

Reactions: LONGJP2
I have a degree in mechanical engineering, so I’ve gone through and designed my own hard top circuit. I do need to play around with the factory switch functions just to get the wiring correct. Other outputs (from the locker switches, for example) I will bypass if needed. It’s definitely been a project to retrofit but very enjoyable. Rather than buy a second washer pump and bottle, I just put a solenoid inline and will direct flow to the rear using the single pump. I’m surprised I didn’t come across anyone else doing it.

In the end I’ll have 8 switch spots (2 rows of 4), and I’ll repurpose my ash tray blank for a digital gauge for air pressure, a 12v socket and 2 USBs.
The switches I’m planning on having are: compressor, front locker, rear locker, rear washer, rear defrost, winch, light bar and one blank.
I just recently finished putting in locking doors, so I may use that blank for a central door locking switch.

Anyways, it sounds like nobody has info on where to get those oem plugs besides buying on eBay.

You can use a Cherokee fog light switch for the light bar, but what oem switches are you going to use for the compressor, winch, and separate lockers.

Reactions: JMT
Rather than buy a second washer pump and bottle

Same bottle, you just need a second pump and the wiring/washer tube for it.

I think that's the only place you're likely to find them, that's where I purchased mine for creating a hardtop harness.

I’m surprised I didn’t come across anyone else doing it.

I suspect most people are doing what I'm doing, using the information available here to recreate a version of the factory wiring to do the job.

All of the factory connector pinouts are detailed In the body manual for your year of Jeep, available in the resource section here. Someone may have a lead on a source for new factory-style connectors, but I couldn't find any and opted for used. There are also wiring diagrams and information for creating the harness in the how to section. Do a search for hardtop wiring but be aware there are different versions of the harness, depending on year.

I’m using the main pump and directing it to the rear with a solenoid. No need for a second pump or bottle. Cost $15 for the solenoid.

I’ll have to look at those connector pinouts. I didn’t realize they got that specific but it makes sense.

I’ll use new oem style on-off where needed. Just wanted to use oem rear wiper and defrost at least. I guess eBay is the way to go.

I’ll have to look at those connector pinouts. I didn’t realize they got that specific but it makes sense.

Look towards the back of the body manual, at least that's where they are for the 2005 MY.

I’ll use new oem style on-off where needed. Just wanted to use oem rear wiper and defrost at least. I guess eBay is the way to go.

I purchased the used connectors off eBay, the switches are factory copies and accept the same connectors.

New oem style switches do not light up with the dash lights like the oem ones do.
At least not the ones I've seen.

This may well be true, I can't speak to the original switches as my LJ came with four switch blanks. Only the aftermarket defrost and fog light switches I purchased have illumination, and only light up when on/in use.

New oem style switches do not light up with the dash lights like the oem ones do.
At least not the ones I've seen.

Do you know where to tap the illumination wire for this purpose? I’m also thinking of adding a small LED to shed light on the dark switches.

Any switches that have lighting behind the text would be amazing. I have some small LED's I could use to light the switches from the outside, but internal lighting would be awesome. Do any of them have that functionality?

Do you know where to tap the illumination wire for this purpose? I’m also thinking of adding a small LED to shed light on the dark switches.

The easiest one to find and identify is the lamp connector for the PRNDL console bezel for the auto shifter. It starts right at the front of the console and runs back to the bezel ending in a connector for a 194 lamp. The pair of wires are orange and black. If you T-tap into the orange, the added light will dim with the dash illumination. If you tap into the black, they don't.

Reactions: LJDC
The easiest one to find and identify is the lamp connector for the PRNDL console bezel for the auto shifter. It starts right at the front of the console and runs back to the bezel ending in a connector for a 194 lamp. The pair of wires are orange and black. If you T-tap into the orange, the added light will dim with the dash illumination. If you tap into the black, they don't.

I can see how that would be really easy to get to. Unfortunately (for this wiring purpose) I have a manual.

I think the wiring harness for the radio has an illumination light. I just need to remember which it is.

I can see how that would be really easy to get to. Unfortunately (for this wiring purpose) I have a manual.

I think the wiring harness for the radio has an illumination light. I just need to remember which it is.

The connector is there regardless of trans option. It is used for the auto, laid back and taped to the harness for manuals and I would have pointed out it wasn't there for a manual.

The connector is there regardless of trans option. It is used for the auto, laid back and taped to the harness for manuals and I would have pointed out it wasn't there for a manual.

Neat. Thank you. I’m surprised I didn’t notice it when I was digging around in there adding an outlet and switches. That will be a great little addition.

Reactions: mrblaine
Update for everyone interested: I spent several hours looking at automotive connectors online to find the original manufacturer for the dash switch connectors. No need to buy from junkyards at outrageous prices anymore!
I’ve bought and verified fitment for each of these. I don’t have a fog light switch to check, but it will be either the same as the rear defrost or at least the same family.

Rear wiper switch connector: TE Connectivity / AMP 175658-1
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/571-175658-1

Rear defrost switch connector: TE Connectivity / AMP 174922-1
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/571-174922-1

Pins for both: TE Connectivity / AMP 173630-1 (Loose Piece)
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/571-173630-1-LP