Davemayn13's 2004 LJ Hemi Swap Project

I i
Awesome build. How is your dealings with Red Rock so far? I don't remember where but I'd read some where that people had issues with them as far as getting parts or they weren't following thru type stuff.
Look forward to hearing how you like the Hemi once it is all done.

Your post didn't come thru....

I got a call from them last week about the steering that I had ordered. Seems they had a glitch in their computer system and they had missed my order. So they ordered the part I wanted and it shipped but no offer to reduce the price or anything for it taking a month.

I'll let you know what I think of their steering shaft once it arrives.

• Sad
Reactions: davemayn13
Your post didn't come thru....

I got a call from them last week about the steering that I had ordered. Seems they had a glitch in their computer system and they had missed my order. So they ordered the part I wanted and it shipped but no offer to reduce the price or anything for it taking a month.

I'll let you know what I think of their steering shaft once it arrives.

That's lame but consistent with my experience to date. They underestimated the shipping when I originally purchased, so I had to chip in a few more sheckles to make it happen. To be completely fair and transparent, they did offer to cover the gap in shipping cost to get it to a local terminal, but I paid the extra couple bucks to get it delivered to my house for the sake of convenience.

Safe to say I'll be QC'ing everything when it shows up to make sure everything's there. Fingers crossed!

Reactions: Wildman
Well, it was a busy weekend! Got a fair amount done, and the redrock kit will be delivered Tuesday, which is awesome.

Original Engine and Trans:

Found a new home Saturday AM. Going to be donors for the guy's XJ apparently. Probably the fastest load and go of a motor I've done, had it in and out in less than 20 mins. God speed drivetrain.

20201205_111715.jpg

Next up, I went to replace the original body lift, which turned out to be a rough country 2". Removed the plastic pucks and replaced with the Savvy 1.25" kit. Much better

20201205_101930.jpg

20201205_112243.jpg

I'll share some stance photos later, but obviously seeing 3/4" isn't always apparent.

One interesting note here, the body lift had 2" pucks all the way around, except at the crossmember (In front of the fuel tank) where there were some little 3/4" pucks instead of 2" blocks. Not sure if that was supposed to be that way, but I had to jack the piss out of the body to slide the Savvy pucks in there.

Next up, I went to mount the nemesis corners. The passenger side actually goes under the tailgate hinges. Pretty cool, but I found my kit was missing the spacers for the hinges. No problem, I was just test fitting prior to painting. Sent Nemesis an email to get the spacers needed. These corners will work with OEM fender flare bolts. I ordered a 6.5" set of nemesis' rear flares during their Cyber Monday sale. One word of caution, they are definitely slammed at the moment, so expect a wait on anything you order.

20201206_102953.jpg

Much nicer looking than those short corners, especially on the LJ. The aluminum full corner weighs less than the steel short corner.

20201128_113804.jpg

Next I went to the driver's side, and...Well...

20201205_124625.jpg

20201205_130701.jpg

Seems there's was a slight whoopsie. Gas tank hole is off by a bit. Email number 2 sent to Nemesis.

Today I had a hard time getting motivated, so I decided to start prepping and painting aluminum, because once I started I knew I wouldn't stop.

I took my fender flares, inner flares, center console, and the passenger side corner and cleaned/degreased to start. Then I took por15 alloy prep and coated everything. Another rinse and dry and then we're ready for primer.

20201206_121501.jpg

20201206_124833.jpg

After the primer, ready to hit it all with paint.

I did the inner fenders flat black enamel, the flares in satin black enamel, and the console in satin black too. I did the accent grills for the console and fenders in silver. A few coats later and the sun went down. Not bad progress.

20201206_140933.jpg

I'll let you all know how things go with Nemesis. Disappointed that I couldn't get those done, but definitely glad I test fit before I went to town painting.

Last edited:
Looks like they sent with the ‘Nemesis’ gas filler location which shouldn’t be necessary with only +1” opening. I think I like idea moving it up but definitely frustrating if you had not planned on doing that. Other than that issue how was the fit in terms of matching body by door and bend around corner?

Looks like they sent with the ‘Nemesis’ gas filler location which shouldn’t be necessary with only +1” opening. I think I like idea moving it up but definitely frustrating if you had not planned on doing that. Other than that issue how was the fit in terms of matching body by door and bend around corner?

The bend and fit overall was pretty good. The bend fits the body like a glove, but it seems to be off between 1/2-3/4", leaving a bit of a gap at the rear when fit correctly at the front. Overall no big deal, the poison spyder corners they replaced were about the same, and required a little muscle to fit tight to the rear once the front was attached. I'm happy with them overall, even with the issues, assuming that nemesis corrects it for me. I'll take a pic of the gap when I actually go to mount them permanently to give you an idea of it.

You can kind of see the gap at the rear in this pic if you zoom in, but I'll get some more for you. Safe to say, muscling the aluminum will be much easier than the steel corner I had previously

20201205_124625.jpg

Last edited:
That’s good to hear. So do you ship that driver corner back?

Negative, but I will if they need me to. They didn't ask, just checked the CAD file, confirmed the error, and said a new one was in production. I assume the added cost of return shipping makes it not worth it for them to get back.

I'm an Engineer in my day job, so keeping track of costs and using spreadsheets is kind of my thing. Here's my rough costs to date on the engine swap specifically. I figured those checking out the build would want to know...

Engine Swap Items
DescriptionCostNote
06 Donor Hemi Motor/Trans$ (700)Rolled 06 megacab 220k miles running/moving
Sell Hemi Engine Wiring Harness$ 275
Sell Hemi ECU$ 100
Sell Hemi ABS$ 125
Sell hemi fuse box$ 200
Sell hemi radiator TBD
Sell hemi cowl harnessTBD
Buy 05 Hemi ECU$ 159No skim, no security
Hemi engine rebuild$ (3,950)Machining, rebuild, short block assembly
545rfe Rebuild Kit$ (342)Included bearings, ATSG manual, and rebuild kit
545rfe solenoid pack$ (130)Just in case
545rfe pistons 2nd/4th$ (41)Not included in original rebuild kit
545rfe hard parts input clutch basket$ (165)Original had abnormal wear/gunk
545rfe sonnax piston kit$ (92)aluminum piston upgrade kit
545rfe sonnax ring kit$ (15)replacement scarf rings (jacked up one in the kit)
545rfe TQ Converter$ (158)
Bearing Driver and Trans Tools$ (102)Not required, but helpful
Sell LJ ECU$ 280
Sell 4.0/42re Engine Tranny$ 1,300
Sell LJ Engine Wiring HarnessTBD
Sell LJ RadiatorTBD
Sell LJ Stock ExhaustTBD
5.7L Flexplate/Converter Bolts$ (56)ARP bolt replacements, not required
5.7L Engine sensors, rotating assembly$ (838)ps pump, ac compressor, all sensors, water pump, etc
5.7L recon heads$ (608)heads and head bolts both sides
5.7L Coil Packs$ (144)Not required, but unsure of mileage on donor parts
5.7L Injectors$ (240)Not required, but unsure of mileage on donor parts
5.7L EGR, Alternator, Etc$ (156)Amazon warehouse scores
5.7L EGR Tube$ (35)Local junkyard pull, donor had no emissions gear
squier harness$ (1,955)full conversion harness and programming SMOG compliant
Red Rock Kit$ (5,274)Hybrid stage 2 kit + exhaust kit + freight, removed from
Stage 2 kit: EGR DELETE, BODY LIFT,PEDAL KIT, O2 SENSORS, SYE KIT
Teraflex Pedal Bracket$ (65)Bought ahead of time to ensure I found the right pedal
Grand Cherokee Pedal$ (35)Local junkyard pull
Total$ (12,662)Cost includes not required items as well

Obviously I'm not at the finish line, and I'm sure other costs will creep in, but wanted to share. It can definitely be done cheaper, but damn near everything on the engine and trans is new with this build.

Last edited:
MAIL CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALL!

By far, this us the most exciting delivery to date. The Red Rock swap kit is here!!!!

20201208_111022.jpg

UPS Guy: There's another pallet here for you.
Me: ???? Should only be this one????
UPS: This one has your number on it too. Here ya go

20201208_172700.jpg

20201208_130134.jpg

20201208_130152.jpg

Me: Dude, that's like 50 gallons of DEF...that's definitely not my order

UPS: Cool story bro, it's got your number on it, gotta go! Kthnxbai

Me: ????? The fuck??????

So yeah...there's $500 worth of DEF in front of my house...that's cool.

Back to the kit:

20201208_154933.jpg

20201208_155138.jpg

20201208_155639.jpg

20201208_155829.jpg

20201208_155840.jpg

20201208_155957.jpg

20201208_160052.jpg

20201208_160447.jpg

20201208_160345.jpg

20201208_160629.jpg

20201208_160643.jpg

20201208_162511.jpg

20201208_162528.jpg

I went through all the boxes and came up with the following missing:

1) Hemi swap manual
2) PCV kit
3) Exhaust routing diagram
4) Cable shifter
5) catalytic converters and rear O2 bungs/pipes with bungs

Some of that may be misunderstanding or miscommunication, but have an email into Red Rock on it. Hard to know for sure without a packing slip or guide!

Observations:
Fuel pump assembly appears to be drop in with some splicing of the harness. Fuel line and connectors are all nice, will be great to get the tank and new skid in to check clearance on the rear axle. Also nice in general to get those new lines run.

Radiator looks real nice, includes a 16" electric puller fan and sensor.

Headers are pretty sweet too, assuming red rock did the flange modifications.

AC and PS lines are nice, fabbed with quick connect and threaded ends.

Skinny steering shaft kit looks good, and I dig the red rock logo on the custom brackets.

A fair amount of off the shelf parts, but definitely a fair share of fabbed items.

All in all, super excited to keep this build moving. Will advise on the missing stuff when I hear back.

Last edited:
For some reason, a lot of that stuff looks familiar...

Can‘t wait to see it all put to use.

Wow all that looks great. Damn I wish they'd had kits like this available back when I was doing my engine swap as I might have done a Hemi also instead of the Magnum engine. Hope you get the missing items figured out.

I'm waiting on my steering shaft to arrive. There isn't any info on the website telling me if it's been shipped yet or not.

Dang Nab if you don't need all the DEF I know a truck that could use it. I'm sure someone is going to be missing that shipment.

Edit: Damn I just checked and according to the website they still haven't shipped it yet. What SUCKS is that I made this order back on 29 Sept. And they debited my CC on 27 Nov for the item but still not shipped.

Last edited:
Wow all that looks great. Damn I wish they'd had kits like this available back when I was doing my engine swap as I might have done a Hemi also instead of the Magnum engine. Hope you get the missing items figured out.

I'm waiting on my steering shaft to arrive. There isn't any info on the website telling me if it's been shipped yet or not.

Dang Nab if you don't need all the DEF I know a truck that could use it. I'm sure someone is going to be missing that shipment.

Edit: Damn I just checked and according to the website they still haven't shipped it yet. What SUCKS is that I made this order back on 29 Sept. And they debited my CC on 27 Nov for the item but still not shipped.

You might give them a ring, I chatted with Jim this AM about my stuff. They should be able to give you an update and ETA.

Answers to the missing stuff below, happy with what they came back with:

1) Hemi Book- I will get one sent out
2) Routing diagram for exhaust- I will include one with the book that shows how we set it up.
3) PCV kit- we eliminated all the adapters and gromments- and just welded a tube on the intake. it connects directly to the stock pcv hose coming off the oil fill port that runs across the top of the engine.
4) Catalytic converters for exhaust kit? Bungs/pipes with bungs for lower O2 sensors?- I checked invoicing and you were only billed for the hot rod exhaust kit, not the emissions exhaust kit. If there was a miss in communication I apologize on our end. The emissions kit upgrade is $380 and includes [2] magnaflow high flow heavy metal 3 way cats and [2] rear O2 sensors and bungs. We used to use the cheaper cats but they were throwing codes so now its only magnaflows. If you want to get this, call the shop and let Josh know. There isn’t any reason we can get that shipped out in the next couple days. Worst case would be beginning of next week if we don’t have it all on the shelf. Cats I think we may have in the stock room.
5) 4wd cable shifter kit, I have the 4wd link shifter labeled in a ziploc bag, but no cable shifter. We have gone to the link shifter kit and no longer use the cable shifter- the cable shifter created more issues than needed with the 545rfe set up particularly the output speed sensor. The link shifter eliminates any issues the cable shifter had. I have to go back and re address the kit components and the book too but finding the time seems to be a challenge right now.

Short tab bolts onto the tub shifter via the 3/8 bolt, long tab replaces the shift lever on the transfer case. Put them both in 4 low and adjust the link bar accordingly. A short rod and long rod are included to make sure you get the appropriate distance/alignment for your application.

I went ahead and snagged the additional exhaust components (sans O2 sensors, I've already got those), as I do need to pass smog here in Reno. The book should be helpful in confirming all the parts are here and good to go.

Reactions: Ephry73 and Wildman
Wow very detailed response and looks like all your questions were answered.

I'll give them a shout after my appointments today.

Looking forward to seeing how things go with this swap. Might look into updating my swap at some point. But we'll see how I like my stroker engine first.