Daytime Running Light Defeat

xxdabroxx

TJ Addict
I got some knock off Truck Lites for xmas this past year and I've been getting flashed during early morning drives into work. I think it's time to tackle the reduced voltage high beam daytime running lights that came on my Jeep that originated in Canada. I've heard many times that you just need to cut "X" wire and it will solve all your problems but I wasn't satisfied with that and wanted to know what I was cutting and why. I'll attach snippets from the factory service manual below to help anyone else in my position better understand the why behind the how. I don't claim to be a ASE master tech or anything but I can feel my way through a wiring diagram with a little help from the service manual itself.

We'll start at the DAYTIME RUNNING LAMP DIAGNOSIS page from the FSM (Factory Service Manual).

8L-5.jpg

You can see in the above image how to diagnose DRL's that aren't working. Not really what I wanted but it points us in the right direction, Group 8W of the FSM.

Page 8W - 50 - 2 of the FSM shows the overall front lighting diagram.

8W-50-2.jpg

In the above diagram I believe the upper reference to the DRL Module is just showing where the module is getting power from. The lower module gives us a little more info. You can see that pin 1 on the module ties into the high beam circuit through Splice S105. At the low beam output of the HEADLAMP DIMMER SWITCH you can see Splice S104 which appears again on the DRL diagram below. I believe this tells the module to essentially stop the DRL output. I believe that none of the wires on this diagram do us any good to disable the DRL's as when the module see's an issue like being unplugged it disables your high beam indicator. I want mine to function correctly.

The diagram also leads us to page 8W-50-8 for further info on the module itself.

8W-50-8.jpg

In the above diagram you can see that there are in/outputs for both high and low beam, pins 1 & 10. I don't think we want to mess with either of those, nor do we want to mess with the ground or switched power. This leaves up pin 7 VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR SIGNAL. If we either disconnect or cut this wire the DRL module won't get a signal from the speed sensor and should never turn on your DRL's again. On my Jeep this should be a white wire with an orange trace and should be easy for even my colorblind self to identify as there are no other white wires going to the DRL Module. And I just went out to the Jeep at lunch and cut the wire and no more DRL's.

Below I'll attach some reference images from the FSM that helped me understand these diagrams along the way.

8W-01-2.jpg

8W-01-3.jpg

8W-01-4.jpg

8W-01-6.jpg

Reactions: Chris
I am in Canada and am having the same issue. I can’t disable since it is the law to have DRL up here. I have some cheap 10,000UF capacitors on order which apparently once wired in parallel should fix the issue.

I've seen this method and unfortunately it still doesn't work for me. I gave my drl module away to a friend in need as mine is only a trail jeep. However I do want my high beam indicator back and I'm trying to figure out. How are US jeeps setup? Do they have a drl module and it's just disabled through programming? Do they have some other module there that doesn't enable drl?

My capacitors blew after about 30 seconds of the lights on. Scared the crap out of me.

Also the harness @toximus so graciously gave me did nothing.

I am going to grab some ECE JW Speakers. The ECE designation is what means it has DRL support built into the bulb. I have a few friends running them and they work perfect. From their website:

ECE regulations come from the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe. ECE versions feature DRL & FP functions. ECE-compliant guarantees your lights are compliant in the European Union and in non-European countries that have adopted ECE Regulations for visibility, durability, and reliability.

So I feel a little silly. Bought a pair of JW Speakers and had the same DRL PWM flickering issue. I emailed the JW Speaker Canadian Rep who shipped me the anti-flicker harnesses - didn't solve my problem. He also offered to ship me some J2 lights to demo. I finally got around to thinking that maybe the issue is with my DRL module instead of the lights. As soon as I touched the harness plugging into the module the flicking stopped and both the Amazon knockoffs and the proper JW Speakers stopped flickering. Months of researching and posting was actually a 5 minute fix. Oops.

I got some knock off Truck Lites for xmas this past year and I've been getting flashed during early morning drives into work. I think it's time to tackle the reduced voltage high beam daytime running lights that came on my Jeep that originated in Canada. I've heard many times that you just need to cut "X" wire and it will solve all your problems but I wasn't satisfied with that and wanted to know what I was cutting and why. I'll attach snippets from the factory service manual below to help anyone else in my position better understand the why behind the how. I don't claim to be a ASE master tech or anything but I can feel my way through a wiring diagram with a little help from the service manual itself.

We'll start at the DAYTIME RUNNING LAMP DIAGNOSIS page from the FSM (Factory Service Manual).

View attachment 100065

You can see in the above image how to diagnose DRL's that aren't working. Not really what I wanted but it points us in the right direction, Group 8W of the FSM.

Page 8W - 50 - 2 of the FSM shows the overall front lighting diagram.

View attachment 100066

In the above diagram I believe the upper reference to the DRL Module is just showing where the module is getting power from. The lower module gives us a little more info. You can see that pin 1 on the module ties into the high beam circuit through Splice S105. At the low beam output of the HEADLAMP DIMMER SWITCH you can see Splice S104 which appears again on the DRL diagram below. I believe this tells the module to essentially stop the DRL output. I believe that none of the wires on this diagram do us any good to disable the DRL's as when the module see's an issue like being unplugged it disables your high beam indicator. I want mine to function correctly.

The diagram also leads us to page 8W-50-8 for further info on the module itself.

View attachment 100069

In the above diagram you can see that there are in/outputs for both high and low beam, pins 1 & 10. I don't think we want to mess with either of those, nor do we want to mess with the ground or switched power. This leaves up pin 7 VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR SIGNAL. If we either disconnect or cut this wire the DRL module won't get a signal from the speed sensor and should never turn on your DRL's again. On my Jeep this should be a white wire with an orange trace and should be easy for even my colorblind self to identify as there are no other white wires going to the DRL Module. And I just went out to the Jeep at lunch and cut the wire and no more DRL's.

Below I'll attach some reference images from the FSM that helped me understand these diagrams along the way.

View attachment 100070

View attachment 100071

View attachment 100072

View attachment 100073

I know this was an old post but hoping someone can help me out. I'm hoping to keep the DRL function but make it pass through power to different bulbs than the high/dim in the headlights. My new headlights have dedicated bulbs for the DRLs and I no longer want the high/dim to function as DRLs, but still would like the dedicated bulbs to function the same way, along with the speed sensor and parking brake functionalities of turning them on/off. Also, would it supply full power to the dedicated bulbs, or would they be dimmer than intended due to whatever happens with the module that dims the factory bulb? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

I know this was an old post but hoping someone can help me out. I'm hoping to keep the DRL function but make it pass through power to different bulbs than the high/dim in the headlights. My new headlights have dedicated bulbs for the DRLs and I no longer want the high/dim to function as DRLs, but still would like the dedicated bulbs to function the same way, along with the speed sensor and parking brake functionalities of turning them on/off. Also, would it supply full power to the dedicated bulbs, or would they be dimmer than intended due to whatever happens with the module that dims the factory bulb? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

I'd suggest starting a new thread in the TJ General Discussion section. Your post will likely get lost in here and won't get nearly as much attention as it would if it was it's own thread.