Help with headlight wiring (updated / solved)

thedustyboot

A drug habit would be cheaper
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Good day all,

I've had a decent search around the forum for some answers but no luck yet. Please forgive me if this has already been answered somewhere else. Maybe link the thread?

I'm not the best with wiring so I'm hoping to find the help I need from someone smarter on here😅

Here's my dilemma:

PO installed some mystery brand LED headlight with the coloured halo (Ya I know, barf🤮🤮) and I'm sick of the flickering lights as I drive through town. The lights already have an "anti-flicker" module but they do absolutely nothing.

So far I've learned that of the three wires to my headlight, one is ground and the other two power low beam and high beam. There's a fourth wire on the headlight side that powers the halo light which gets power supplied to it when I turn on my headlights to the low beam setting. The DRL module sends a pulsating flow of electricity to the headlights which with OEM sealed beams makes them operate at a lower brightness. Sadly the LED reacts much faster to the pulsating flow causing the flickering we all know and love.

So my big question here is what do I need to rearrange in my headlight wiring to send the DRL power to the halo rather than the rest of the headlight like it currently does.

TL:DR
Headlights flicker and I'm too poor to get the TJ forum recommended lights😅

A little update to this conundrum:

Since the anti-flicker module wasn't doing it's job, I decided to cut it out completely and splice the two ends of the harness back together minus the anti-flicker module. The daytime running light module gets a signal from the vehicle speed sensor when the vehicle is in motion and will turn on the headlights, but to my surprise this did not happen after cutting out the anti-flicker module pictured below. So now I no longer have flickering have flickering headlights but also no lights at all, which is required up here in Canada.

The yellow wire in the picture is for the halo and was spliced to my low beam. I eliminated that and re-routed it to a fuse tap in slot #10 on the fuse panel behind my glove box. The second image demonstrates the results.

headlight harness.JPG

headlight.JPG

Reactions: Chris
A little update to this conundrum:

Since the anti-flicker module wasn't doing it's job, I decided to cut it out completely and splice the two ends of the harness back together minus the anti-flicker module. The daytime running light module gets a signal from the vehicle speed sensor when the vehicle is in motion and will turn on the headlights, but to my surprise this did not happen after cutting out the anti-flicker module pictured below. So now I no longer have flickering have flickering headlights but also no lights at all, which is required up here in Canada.

The yellow wire in the picture is for the halo and was spliced to my low beam. I eliminated that and re-routed it to a fuse tap in slot #10 on the fuse panel behind my glove box. The second image demonstrates the results.

View attachment 348221

View attachment 348222

After this step, the headlights work properly with the switch but don't come on with the DRL function?

Is that tap to fuse #10 an ignition switched circuit that only turns the halos on when the ignition is on?

After this step, the headlights work properly with the switch but don't come on with the DRL function?

Is that tap to fuse #10 an ignition switched circuit that only turns the halos on when the ignition is on?

Yes that is correct. Headlight switch functions normally. I forgot to get a picture of the fuse panel but slot #10 is 10 amp power to the gauge cluster which gets energized when the ignition switch is turned on.

It was extremely hard to find any information about dealing with the DRL module for a Canadian vehicle, but I managed to achieve what I wanted although not in the way I had expected :LOL:

Reactions: joelachr