Dealership Tricks

egclassic

TJ Enthusiast
My wife drives an '05 Nissan Xterra and in the last two weeks, we have received 2 phone calls and a postcard from the dealer we bought it from back in '07, claiming there is some sort of recall concerning the ECM.
Usually I will research to see what the recall really involves before I take it in, but this time I didn't have time. The postcard that was sent was bright orange and had URGENT RECALL across the top.
So being that we were both off of work today, we decided to go ahead and take it in, and do some last minute shopping while we were in the area.
Well, my wife practically hadn't even got out of the car and they were already trying to sell her an oil change.
She declined, telling them that I performed all the routine maintenance, and we were on our way.
An hour later, they call to let us know that the car is ready. Then it starts, they tried selling us rear brakes, a tune up and a list of other "Nissan recommendations", oh, and the best part? This "supposed" URGENT recall
was mysteriously cancelled, so they did absolutely nothing to her car.
It was all a ploy to get you in the door in hopes to sell you something. Now I expected going in that they were going to try and sell us services, but to make up a recall just to drum up business is unethical!
BTW, I searched the internet and even found a Nissan recall site where I entered her VIN number and it showed NO recalls for her car at all. Rant over!

Reactions: JamesAndTheSahara
That is incredible! My boyfriend has been lured into the local dodge dealership with a promise of getting a brand new truck for 90 Days free as long as he stays under 1500 miles . I keep asking what’s the catch but they never give details over the phone, again, attempts to get him in their doors. Your situation takes the cake. I’d complain especially seeing it was all a lie.

Reactions: Chris and egclassic
That is incredible! My boyfriend has been lured into the local dodge dealership with a promise of getting a brand new truck for 90 Days free as long as he stays under 1500 miles . I keep asking what’s the catch but they never give details over the phone, again, attempts to get him in their doors. Your situation takes the cake. I’d complain especially seeing it was all a lie.
I'm thinking about doing just that!
This was a long standing auto dealer in the Cincinnati area, one of those that has every make.

I'm thinking about doing just that!
This was a long standing auto dealer in the Cincinnati area, one of those that has every make.
It’s sort of false advertising of sorts. It’s not like people have all the time in the world to be dropping off a vehicle , finding a ride while it’s being repaired and getting it back home. It’s a hassle, and it was completely made up. I get your frustration.

It’s sort of false advertising of sorts. It’s not like people have all the time in the world to be dropping off a vehicle , finding a ride while it’s being repaired and getting it back home. It’s a hassle, and it was completely made up. I get your frustration.
Apparently it is not new and has happened in other states as well. Just came across this:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/FTC-Warns-of-Fake-Recall-Notices-340738202.html?amp=y

Now and then, it's fun to turn the tables, and stick it to the dealer. Back in 1990, I was in the market for a new import pick-up. I was test driving a brand new Nissan extra-cab 4X4 that was their top of the line model. An absolutely loaded, beautiful little rig. Well, about two miles away from the dealership, it suddenly shut down. Just flat out died. I called the dealership from a nearby house, and they sent out three "technicians" in white lab coats (no exaggeration) along with a guy in a suit, in one of their company vehicles with the name plastered all over it. The techs headed straight for the truck, and Mr. Suit approached me, and asked what had I done to their truck. Really? After telling him what happened, he said that he hoped this little incident didn't affect my opinion of their product, and was there anything he could do for me? I said there was. I had him drop me off at the Toyota dealership in their Nissan dealership car (flying the company's colors), where I promptly bought the Toyota.

And that, my friends, is how it's done. :cool:

I
Now and then, it's fun to turn the tables, and stick it to the dealer. Back in 1990, I was in the market for a new import pick-up. I was test driving a brand new Nissan extra-cab 4X4 that was their top of the line model. An absolutely loaded, beautiful little rig. Well, about two miles away from the dealership, it suddenly shut down. Just flat out died. I called the dealership from a nearby house, and they sent out three "technicians" in white lab coats (no exaggeration) along with a guy in a suit, in one of their company vehicles with the name plastered all over it. The techs headed straight for the truck, and Mr. Suit approached me, and asked what had I done to their truck. Really? After telling him what happened, he said that he hoped this little incident didn't affect my opinion of their product, and was there anything he could do for me? I said there was. I had him drop me off at the Toyota dealership in their Nissan dealership car (flying the company's colors), where I promptly bought the Toyota.

And that, my friends, is how it's done. :cool:
I love it !!

Wow... that’s some real shady business practice if you ask me. I wouldn’t go back there.

We recently had a legit recall on our 2013 grand Cherokee received letter in the mail called dealer to schedule was asked if needed oil change while in. No I have just done it. Dropped off vehicle asked again for oil change. No not needed Dealer called later in day saying vehicle was ready and would you like a oil change. Next time I ready to change oil I think I’ll pull up in there parking lot so they can watch me change it

Reactions: Jeepcj6
We recently had a legit recall on our 2013 grand Cherokee received letter in the mail called dealer to schedule was asked if needed oil change while in. No I have just done it. Dropped off vehicle asked again for oil change. No not needed Dealer called later in day saying vehicle was ready and would you like a oil change. Next time I ready to change oil I think I’ll pull up in there parking lot so they can watch me change it
That's funny!

I get the idea of upselling, hell, just about every industry does it. If you call an HVAC company to come clean and check your furnace for the season, you can bet they are going to try and sell you filters, water pads for the humidifier etc.
But to be called in to a dealer under false pretenses is bullshit. Today, I am going to call another local Nissan dealer and see if they know of any recalls for her vehicle, then I will take action based on what they tell me.

I get the idea of upselling, hell, just about every industry does it. If you call an HVAC company to come clean and check your furnace for the season, you can bet they are going to try and sell you filters, water pads for the humidifier etc.
But to be called in to a dealer under false pretenses is bullshit. Today, I am going to call another local Nissan dealer and see if they know of any recalls for her vehicle, then I will take action based on what they tell me.
Good for you! Let us know how it goes.

I agree, I hope you make there life miserable