Death wobble when hitting bumps at speed or just cruising

TravisRubiMD

Good afternoon all! I have been reading over forums forever now and trying to narrow down a possible mystery issue. I had a few cases of death wobble, both hitting a bumps at speed or even cruising in the 40 mph range. I had the stabilizer replaced twice(I know I shouldn't even need this if done correctly) and then I have also had the tires replaced to Falken Wildpeak AT as recommended by the shop. Also had the track bar replaced and have had a million alignments. Got new Bilstein 5100s and still feel something is wrong. The steering on uneven roads wants to pull hard on slopes(dangerously) and uphill or off road driving is way too sensitive and bumpy to be correct. I am frustrated by all shops saying everything seems fine or maybe its the stabilizer. Its a 4 inch lift, 35s, 05 Rubi. I'm hoping for help from anyone. Sorry the most recent alignmemt specs are a tad crumpled from the glove of. Also a front end pic maybe a pro on here sees something. Thanks in advance.

20200611_150527.jpg

20200611_150506.jpg

Replace that dropped Pitman arm with the OE factory Pitman arm. A dropped Pitman arm with the track bar mounted on the stock non-dropped driver's side mount WILL cause bump steer which is where the steering is forced left/right when driving over bump/dips in the road.

While dropped Pitman arms are required for older Jeeps like a CJ or YJ with a suspension lift, they're not needed on a Wrangler TJ unless the driver's side track bar mount is lowered with an aftermarket mount.

Thank you for the very prompt reply Jerry. I was also just adding a side note that this thing drove perfectly for thousands of miles so the wear of steering comfortability and tightness has come as a very long agonizing frustrating surprise. So with the height and angles etc. the factory option is actually better then for this setup? Why would there be a use for the mod of the dropped version, just curious. Trying to learn all i can here. Thanks

Jerry is 100% here. My TJ came with a drop pitman and I had the same issues. For $25 I fixed it. Put a stock arm on there and reevaluate. Night and day difference.

I also have a 2005 Rubicon with a 4". Bump steer was awful when I got it.

What I forgot to add Travis is that the reason the TJ doesn't need a dropped Pitman arm is that its steering geometry is simply much better than what the older CJs and YJs had. :)

Reactions: Chris
Awesome replies guys thank you very much I shall do that then. Let me ask one more thing if you don't mind. Would this also be cause for difficulty steering heading uphill in particular AND if i were to say drive on a cobblestone road I would be unable to drive more than 5 mph(albeit bumpy and miserable) and stay on course. Basically if I am driving in slightly uneven off road terrain at any speed the control is awful and the bounce is simply unbearable. Brand new shocks. Tire pressure near 30(maybe this is a bounce culprit).

Awesome replies guys thank you very much I shall do that then. Let me ask one more thing if you don't mind. Would this also be cause for difficulty steering heading uphill in particular AND if i were to say drive on a cobblestone road I would be unable to drive more than 5 mph(albeit bumpy and miserable) and stay on course. Basically if I am driving in slightly uneven off road terrain at any speed the control is awful and the bounce is simply unbearable. Brand new shocks. Tire pressure near 30(maybe this is a bounce culprit).

You may have something else going on besides the drop pitman, but its the obvious issue. Do a dry steering test. Have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth a couple of inches with the engine running. Examine each steering joint for play. Replace any loose components. Check your control arm bushing too. First thing I would do is replace that pitman arm.

Drop the tire pressure to 26-28 too, that should soften up the ride a little.

I started down the steering rehab road a couple of months ago. I also have a 4" lift installed by the PO which included the dropped pitman, and after I learned all about it on here I put a stock pitman on and my bump steer went away. There were still other issues, vague steering, the occasional pop from the front end when making tight turns... I did a dry steering test and felt play in nearly every tierod. Not much, but it was like a death by 1000 cuts thing. I ended up replacing the steering with ZJ parts that @Chris has listed here in another thread, and I'm almost as good as new (still waiting to change my ball joints).

Having trouble keeping up with the old guy I see. 🤣
Replace that dropped Pitman arm with the OE factory Pitman arm. A dropped Pitman arm with the track bar mounted on the stock non-dropped driver's side mount WILL cause bump steer which is where the steering is forced left/right when driving over bump/dips in the road.

While dropped Pitman arms are required for older Jeeps like a CJ or YJ with a suspension lift, they're not needed on a Wrangler TJ unless the driver's side track bar mount is lowered with an aftermarket mount.
Jerry I maybe incorrect but on a closer look I think OP has a dropped track bar bracket frame side.

Reactions: AMS417
Jerry I maybe incorrect but on a closer look I think OP has a dropped track bar bracket frame side.
I could be incorrect on that too, though I zoomed up on it and its height seems normal. A photo from the side of it would confirm it one way or the other.

Reactions: Bill M.
Better side angle there I hope. Also thanks to all who are jumping in to help. What a community it is! Just want nice tight steering and a smooth(in Jeep terms) ride and the ability to have at least some pace on decent off road trails without being flung around. I eill drop tire pressure as well and do a few test runs too.

20200611_164428.jpg

Better side angle there I hope. Also thanks to all who are jumping in to help. What a community it is! Just want nice tight steering and a smooth(in Jeep terms) ride and the ability to have at least some pace on decent off road trails without being flung around. I eill drop tire pressure as well and do a few test runs too.

View attachment 169096
Ok yep and thanks, that confirms the dropped track bar mount, hold off replacing dropped Pitman arm with the OE design.

Though if it was my TJ I'd remove both and go back to the stock OE track bar mount and Pitman arm as I did on my previous TJ. That dropped track bar mount just caused problems for me.

Reactions: Chris
Ok yep and thanks, that confirms the dropped track bar mount, hold off replacing dropped Pitman arm with the OE design.

Though if it was my TJ I'd remove both and go back to the stock OE track bar mount and Pitman arm as I did on my previous TJ. That dropped track bar mount just caused problems for me.

So school me on this @Jerry - I get that the dropped trackbar & dropped pitman have to be installed together to keep the geometry the same, but when does that really become necessary on our TJs, and does installing them when it's not necessary mess anything up? Seems like most of what I've read on here points to not needing them unless you're lifted up to 5 or 6". If a 4" lift (like mine & the OP's) can get along just fine with the factory setup does the addition of a dropped pitman & trackbar mount just introduce another variable that can throw off the steering geometry?

Alright gentleman I shall look into that and then update. Thank you very much thus far for all the help and information. If anything else comes to mind please post and I will keep checking to study up and test.

Reactions: qslim
Could it also be true that these Bilstein 5100s are just absurdly stiff and the reason when I drive over a pebble I get tossed into the woods? They were recommended by a local shop but I have my doubts about them. Looking for a very smooth shock that mutes the bad roads in the area as well as uneven terrain on the trail. Thanks again guys.