Debating on Selling TJ

tonic

So I will be coming up on my retirment in two years from the military, debating on selling the TJ, need to free up some funds to ensure that I am ready to take it somewhat easy when i retire. That and I drive 3 hrs back and forth for work and seeing my son couple times a week. I use my TDI for that, more than likely trade that in once i retire. Just wanted to get eveyones opionion on pricing it. 2004 TJ, 4.0, 5SP, 3.07 gears (yeah need lower) 136K miles, 4" Lift, with the following done in the last couple months: K&N intake system, new tires (33x12.5x15 Dick Cepeck A/T), new shocks all 4, water pump and thermostat (forum helped for sure with that install) New soft top (Sierra Offroad, great fitment and no issues for $200), rear sway bar, Sony radio (apple carplay) complete coolant flush, Fox steering stablizer, exhaust from the headers back (not headers) due to previous owners crazy install, had to replace due to oil pan rusting through (another thanks to the forum) KC lights with LED's. I know what KBB and NADA says but they really dont pertain to Jeep especially wranglers. Pics for attention.

Jeep 1.jpg

Jeep 2.jpg

Nice looking Jeep! You sure need to sell it? Cost way more to get another if you wanted to get back into it. Is parking it for a while an option instead?

If not, I fully understand.. gotta do what you gotta do... Needs come first, wants second....

Nice looking Jeep! You sure need to sell it? Cost way more to get another if you wanted to get back into it. Is parking it for a while an option instead?

If not, I fully understand.. gotta do what you gotta do... Needs come first, wants second....

Thanks, I really dont need to sell it, just looking to free up more funds for the good ol savings account, my plan is to take a year off before going back to work after i retire. I will be doing my current drive for another two years, so will barely get miles on it. I could park it, but I am sure someone else could enjoy it more than I can at the moment.

That is too bad that you need to sell it. Now that you're retiring you can use it more.

I will more than likely end up with another later on down the road, i do really miss the old JKU I had, so that will more than likely what i go for later on.

Right now just getting an idea for pricing it, heck I may not even sell it,

What are they going for in similar condition on your local Craigslist? What kind of condition is the frame in?

If the frame is rusted out then it's not worth much at all. If it's a a rust free frame, I would think 12k would be the max.

The TJ market is down since the JLs came out, even the JK market is down too.

Reactions: tonic
What are they going for in similar condition on your local Craigslist? What kind of condition is the frame in?

If the frame is rusted out then it's not worth much at all. If it's a a rust free frame, I would think 12k would be the max.

The TJ market is down since the JLs came out, even the JK market is down too.

Only 2004 I found that is somewhat similar with less miles (103K, better 4.88 gears, ) is going for 12K, which i thought was HIGH not sure of the frame on it. Frame is in really good shape for the most part, some surface rust, can easily be cleaned up, nothing big in the frame itself.

I was thinking somewhere in between $85-9500 but wanted to see what everyone here thought.

And thanks for moving it to the TJ thread, realized i placed it in the wrong place as soon as i posted.

Reactions: Chris
Only 2004 I found that is somewhat similar with less miles (103K, better 4.88 gears, ) is going for 12K, which i thought was HIGH not sure of the frame on it. Frame is in really good shape for the most part, some surface rust, can easily be cleaned up, nothing big in the frame itself.

I was thinking somewhere in between $85-9500 but wanted to see what everyone here thought.

And thanks for moving it to the TJ thread, realized i placed it in the wrong place as soon as i posted.
Ask for $10.5k and settle for 9.5k. She looks good and you need to write down all th mods and upgrades on your listing. Will sell fast if frame has no rust damage. Light rust no problem but rust damage like holes in frame not good.

Another source for pricing vehicles is Fleabay. You can check out what they sold for, not just the fantasy price people ask for. Do a search and see what you come up with. The tough part is that dealers, resellers and calculators don't factor in aftermarket accessories. In the end, most of the toys tore stuff that gets invested in a Jeep only conveys value to the current owner or a specific buyer.

Ask for $10.5k and settle for 9.5k. She looks good and you need to write down all th mods and upgrades on your listing. Will sell fast if frame has no rust damage. Light rust no problem but rust damage like holes in frame not good.

Not a bad idea shooting for 9.5K.. havent made up my mind yet though.. miles are going anywhere anytime soon.

Don't do it. I retired from the Air Force in 2010. If you don't have to, take the insurance off of it and let it sit a while until you're ready and/or comfortable to run it again. you could always start it up and drive it around the block every couple weeks to keep things moving. It will give you time to do any work on it if you want or need to. It will be worth it to you later.

I was thinking somewhere in between $85-9500
I think that is too low. If someone else is trying for $12K, go for it. Yours looks real clean and has lots of the things guys want. Lift, tires, LED Bar.... you can always accept a lower offer.

Wranglers hold their value real well. Don't give it away.

I think that is too low. If someone else is trying for $12K, go for it. Yours looks real clean and has lots of the things guys want. Lift, tires, LED Bar.... you can always accept a lower offer.

Wranglers hold their value real well. Don't give it away.

thats why I want the fine community here to chime in. Love my TJ, just on the fence with retirement coming up.

thats why I want the fine community here to chime in. Love my TJ, just on the fence with retirement coming up.
It looks like you have a really nice rig there. If you plan on having another in the future, I'd try to find a way to keep the one you have. Good ones are getting harder to find, and definitely are not getting any cheaper.

Reactions: reddvltj and tonic
I’ve been looking at the market for a few months now hunting for a TJ. I think you could definitely get 12k here on the east coast if there isn’t much rust. I’m curious though, which Sony radio did you install that gives you CarPlay? Been looking for a bit.

Prices go up a grand easily up here by me in the spring. They go down in the fall. Who wants a convertible in the cold weather? I would hold onto it as long as you can. TJs here really hold their value. And it seems more and more college kids are wanting them.

Lots of them in Tennessee go for 10k or higher. And most of them are fairly rust free. You come across the occasional deal.
There is one now with alot of mods for 5500 but its been ridden to hell and back on trails and it looks like. "Over 2k in metal cloak armor & mods"