Dented oil pan / pick up clearance

matkal

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
The sump/deep part of my oil pan is dented in about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch starting in the front and tapering towards the middle. Does anyone know how much clearance there is between the bottom of the oil pan and the oil pickup screen? Where in the sump is the pickup located front to back, side to side? Is it centered? I'm trying to avoid replacing my oil pan.

IMG_0366.jpeg

IMG_0365.jpeg

I already posted this in the "What did you do to your TJ today?" thread, but I figured it might be searched in the future, so I should post it here, too.
I can't clearly remember how much clearance there is between the bottom of the pickup horn and the inside bottom of the pan. However, mine did not damage the pickup that I could see. Here's a picture of how much mine was pushed in:

Oil Pan Dent.jpg

The deepest spot of the dent was at the center of the x (the rule is sitting centered on the drain bumpout.) The caliper was zeroed on the width of the rule used, so the 0.9115" displayed is from the bottom of the rule to the center of the x. As I said, this .9" dent did not damage the pickup. Not sure if this helps, but it was a quick 5-minute exercise for me.

• Love
Reactions: ColoJeep and matkal
I pulled my oil pan this morning to replace the gasket. While I had it apart, I measured where the oil pickup horn is to reply here and document it for posterity. The horn is about 9" below the block's mounting surface for the oil pan and about 6" to 10" (it's 4" in diameter) from the dust cover on the transmission (my '05 has the NSG370):

1709403251543.png

For any other knuckleheads like myself and matkal, who dented their oil pans with a jack, hopefully this is helpful. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

• Love
Reactions: matkal