Design and fabrication chat

I knew that was coming. Why is that not hose?

Who knows? There's all kind of flexible tubing for moving fluids. I used to subscribe to the "pipe is for poop," but then I learned about structural pipe. Now the only hard-and-fast rule I recognize is that pipe is round.

It looks like the person who was responsible for the design doesn't regularly work with steel, and likely does things with wood. I say that because those type of people have 2x4s and 4x4s in their head size-wise, and they fail to consider how much stronger and stiffer steel actually is.

Stop acting like you know me. 🤣

1000000764.jpg

(My kids zip line platform)

We all do lot of fab and need to understand some aspects of design rather than just throw lots of material at something. It would help if the folks I've discussed this with hold back some until we get some input. So, this is simple, what is needed on the below project and what was done that is fully unwarranted? Or, put another way, what would you change?
View attachment 517906

I thought that was a new design for an articulation ramp to also simulate obstacles

I'm not into steel but timber. And I can tell you that only the first, second and fifth step are correctly mounted, all others are upside down. They are bound to get lose over time. That's because a shrinking board bends opposite to its growth rings. May not be important to you but if you are after quality work they should be flipped.

That's A LOT of steel. Whoever made it probably could have used the same amount of material and made 2 of them and still have some leftover

Reactions: srimes
I'm not into steel but timber. And I can tell you that only the first, second and fifth step are correctly mounted, all others are upside down. They are bound to get lose over time. That's because a shrinking board bends opposite to its growth rings. May not be important to you but if you are after quality work they should be flipped.

If you read the whole thread, you'll see that it was an exercise in how not to build something. That platform was an example, not something that was built by Mr. Blaine

But to get back to the point that @mrblaine was making (I think). Don't over complicate your product. You waste valuable time & materials that could go to other projects. For example, I made these two tables out of 1" x 0.075" square tubing. They're about 8' x 2½' & 3' tall the shelves have extra tubes to support the plywood, but I tried to use as little material as necessary.
PXL_20240418_001039878.jpg

PXL_20240418_000857600.jpg

When I moved last year I loaded up all my tools onto 1 table & all my materials onto the other. They flexed a little but stayed square.

I also built these 7' racks & 8' shelf out of 1/8" angle & some flat bar
PXL_20240418_001248339.jpg

PXL_20240418_001259983.jpg

What constraints and/or considerations call for this to be made of steel to begin with? I would have built it out of lumber in a fraction of the time and less cost unless I had a really compelling reason to believe wood would not work. A modestly clever carpenter could very likely use the right joining techniques to avoid racking and have something both stronger AND lighter.

I could see going with steel if it'll be under constant moving and abuse, overstressing and loosening joints, but if that's the case then the steel version leaves a lot to be desired anyway. I think I've seen one mention so far of making it break down to flat. Tool free setup and teardown and separate pieces no more than 50lbs each would be starting requirements in my book. If I'm gonna spend hours in metal fab PPE it might as well be badass well thought out.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ