Did anyone here purchase their TJ brand new?

I've bought 3 Jeeps brand new. '97 SE when they first were available in 96, which I promptly sold 6 months later when I discovered it wouldn't go up a hill on the highway; '97 Sport, which I don't know why I don't still have; '07 Rubicon ordered from the factory, and also don't get why I got rid of...

Reactions: Chris
I've bought 3 Jeeps brand new. '97 SE when they first were available in 96, which I promptly sold 6 months later when I discovered it wouldn't go up a hill on the highway; '97 Sport, which I don't know why I don't still have; '07 Rubicon ordered from the factory, and also don't get why I got rid of...

I can tell you on the 2007, you probably got tired of that 3.8 minivan engine... They have lots of issues and are severely underpowered from what I hear.

I hear you on the SE though. My old 4 cylinder XJ wouldn't go up hills on the highway either.

I can tell you on the 2007, you probably got tired of that 3.8 minivan engine... They have lots of issues and are severely underpowered from what I hear.

I hear you on the SE though. My old 4 cylinder XJ wouldn't go up hills on the highway either.
The 2007 was a 6-speed manual, so it was not so apparent. The thing that bugged me the most on that JK was the lag between stepping on the accelerator pedal and it actually doing anything, because of the drive-by-wire, which was brand new in 2007. The 6-speed manual was also a pretty clunky transmission, especially in 4-low. Plus, I never got over the JK look with those goofy fender flares.

When I was shopping for the 2012 Sport, though, I drove a 6-speed manual 2011, and that thing was a total dog. It felt like driving with a rev limiter all the time. Probably had the 3.27 axles, whereby the Rubicon had 4.10.

The 2007 was a 6-speed manual, so it was not so apparent. The thing that bugged me the most on that JK was the lag between stepping on the accelerator pedal and it actually doing anything, because of the drive-by-wire, which was brand new in 2007. The 6-speed manual was also a pretty clunky transmission, especially in 4-low. Plus, I never got over the JK look with those goofy fender flares.

When I was shopping for the 2012 Sport, though, I drove a 6-speed manual 2011, and that thing was a total dog. It felt like driving with a rev limiter all the time. Probably had the 3.27 axles, whereby the Rubicon had 4.10.

I hear they fixed it with the 3.6 in the 2012+ JKs, but then I still hear about all sorts of little issues with those as well. I can appreciate the size of the JKs, I just can't get over the look like you said. It's the goofy fender flares, but also the fact that they did away with the round edges of the doors, angled the front grille... Just certain things that do make it look more modern, but I crave the more classic look.

I hear they fixed it with the 3.6 in the 2012+ JKs, but then I still hear about all sorts of little issues with those as well. I can appreciate the size of the JKs, I just can't get over the look like you said. It's the goofy fender flares, but also the fact that they did away with the round edges of the doors, angled the front grille... Just certain things that do make it look more modern, but I crave the more classic look.
The windshield is also curved, no longer flat, making it more expensive to replace.

I’m in Indiana. Where the weather is hot and sunny one day, and cold and 4ft of snow the next. They use A LOT of salt on the roads here.
Oh crap. Sorry man, I missed you. I don't know about you, but when I drive my TJ in the snow and salt, I make sure to wash it every chance I get (whenever it's above freezing).

My dad bought my TJ when it was new (and I was 2 years old). 224,000 miles later and we still have it. Pretty much everything major that has broken on it has been due to me beating it off road. The frame has some rust on it but nothing major. I'm planning on turning it into a strictly trail jeep in a few years time.

Bought mine new from dealer in 2000. 145k. 2 complete lift kits. 2 different steering setups. 4 different size tires. Different axles f & r. 4 different tops. Drive it to work every day. Done lots of stuff over the years but want to keep stock look of body. That’s what I like best about it.

Reactions: BigskyTJ and Ron505
I rented a brand new lj rubicon back in 05 in Hawaii. Little did i know at time what i was having the opportunity to drive! We bought our JKUR new. They don't have as many issues as ppl are led to believe. It's more the owners that like to complain about how their 40k convertible sometimes leaks a tiny bit of water in massive rain storm, the bfg muds are loud and handle terrible in the rain compared to their bmw, how they are always overheating (I'm sure their bmw with no temp gauge routinely hits 230 degrees, they just don't know it, 3.6 fan doesn't come on till 226) how the headlights are dangerous (get your vision checked, they are regular halogen lights, my lj lights are just as bad).
Sorry for the rant. Mine has been trouble free (I know it's only 2 years old). But I was fully aware when I bought it that the top and doors came off, it had straight axles, and was not a BMW despite its price tag. My JK is the reason I bought the LJ! But I have 3 kids so I need the jku if I want to transport the whole family...I enjoy both of them and will probably have them both forever.
20150608_202003.jpg
20170823_181836.jpg

I suspect there will be very few (if any at all) original owners, but if so, I want to know! Did anyone purchase there TJ brand new from the dealer?
Yep. 1997. Built in March of 1997. Bought on April 1, 1997. $17,500 for the SE 4cyl. Not the original motor. That blew with 76,800 miles (long story, see Worst Jeep experiences thread).

98 SE 105,000. Have the window sticker too. Don't care if it struggles on hills. Was a DD for first 7 years. Sat for 7. Now has small lift, bigger tires and still struggles up the hills. Could care less. It's a TJ. Fits right in with an old dog and good woman.

Reactions: UpperMI