Did Crown Automotive Clone the Discontinued Mopar 52080183 Radiator?

It just means it will physically replace it, whether it's any good or not is an entirely different thing. Lots of aftermarket radiators (and other parts) will pop up when searching for a specific Mopar p/n but it definitely doesn't mean it's a clone or even a good copy. :)

Crown has used Mopar part numbers for ages. I think they do it for two reasons:

1) so that you can tell what each part is a replacement for
2) and so that when you search for Mopar parts, there’s a higher chance you’ll choose them if you either can’t find Mopar or don’t like the Mopar price.

It would be interesting to order one and do a side by side of an oem radiator...also an install with a follow up would be great

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
I wish I had an inside track on Crown's business model. It would be REALLY cool if, after Mopar loses interest in selling the part, Crown stepped in as the new reseller for the same OEM with the same part meeting the same specs, but without the Mopar logo.

Probably not how it works, but would be a lot cooler if it was.

I used to buy direct from the crown warehouse before it moved to Reno, lots of their parts were made in the Philippines, I actually went in the warehouse in west side of Salt Lake, got a couple of tours.

Reactions: John Cooper
I wish I had an inside track on Crown's business model. It would be REALLY cool if, after Mopar loses interest in selling the part, Crown stepped in as the new reseller for the same OEM with the same part meeting the same specs, but without the Mopar logo.

Probably not how it works, but would be a lot cooler if it was.

Not generally how it works. When an automaker launches a program, the different suppliers and vendors (Tier 1, anyway) have to build the tooling for any new parts they win contracts for. That tooling is the source of many long and contentious negotiations with the OEM regarding who owns what, who’s paying, and how much. In layman’s terms, if something is in direct contact with the part, the OEM pays for it. So, in the case of our radiator, the plastic tanks could be molded in a tool that is wholly owned by Chrysler or its a mold with an insert that is owned by Chrysler. Either way, the supplier is under contract to only use that tooling for Chrysler and no one else.

Once the program goes to service (the model is phased out) things get a bit sketchy. Depending on the supplier and the OEM, they will contact for 20 years of replacement parts. Could be they make them when needed (almost never) or they forecast what the usage should be, make a couple big runs, and store ‘em. When they are gone, they are gone. Either way, that tooling is not generally accessible to any aftermarket vendors, and by this time in its life, they would not want it anyway.

People like crown and Omix-Ada are paying license fees for the part designs and making their own tooling, as cheaply as possible. They are also employing cost saving measures, so generally that means changing the design slightly to make the part less expensively. Sometimes, it works out ok. Mostly it doesn’t. Hard to get top notch design engineers out of the OEMS to work for the bottom feeding aftermarket suppliers.

Either way, that tooling is not generally accessible to any aftermarket vendors, and by this time in its life, they would not want it anyway.

That's more or less what I was getting at...is if Chrysler doesn't want to use it anymore and it's not worth anything to them then it's a shame not to just let the OEM continue using the tools for someone else. But you make a good point on the tool life.

When I worked for Ingersoll Rand we had a molded plastic part that was such low volume (a few hundred per year) and our management was so stingy we had the supplier making production parts with the prototype tooling which was made from....wood. At the time it was infuriating but it actually turned out for the best because by the time the wood tooling was done for we needed to change the design a bit, so those changes got made before dropping the coin on permanent tooling. (The difference in cost between the temp and permanent tooling being about like buying a car vs buying a house).