Died on the way in

JP98

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Jeep died on the way in this morning. Need some thoughts. '98, 4.0, 5 sp. Been driving about 25 min traveling at 55 mph and it dies. No sputter and radio was still playing. After 2 or 3 min and it starts right back up no sputter and drives about 1/4 mile and dies again. After another 2-3 min on side of road she starts and drives no issue the final 5 miles to work. Stopping at three red lights and no more problem. I had spark at the plugs when she died on the side of road.

I had a similar issue with my 98. My fuel pump sending unit had a small check valve at the bottom that was sealed shut. The jeep would run for a bit and die. Then after sitting some time the fuel would make it back into the sump and it would run again. If you are able to check you're fuel pressure and let it run until it dies again you might find that to be the issue.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I had a similar issue with my 98. My fuel pump sending unit had a small check valve at the bottom that was sealed shut. The jeep would run for a bit and die. Then after sitting some time the fuel would make it back into the sump and it would run again. If you are able to check you're fuel pressure and let it run until it dies again you might find that to be the issue.

I would think fuel pressure but it did not sputter not once. It was like the engine was turned off without losing power and had spark.

I would think fuel pressure but it did not sputter not once. It was like the engine was turned off without losing power and had spark.
Has the issue repeated after those two times?

I was recently having the stalling while driving issue too, it has gone away since replacing the Camshaft Position Sensor and the Crankshaft Position Sensor. They're both easy ones to swap out that don't cost too much...I'm not sure which one did the trick since I was in the process of replacing a ton of old probably half fried sensors anyway.

Now i'm just working on the stalling issues while idling, but the stalling while driving had stopped!

(Also no codes ever thrown).

I was recently having the stalling while driving issue too, it has gone away since replacing the Camshaft Position Sensor and the Crankshaft Position Sensor. They're both easy ones to swap out that don't cost too much...I'm not sure which one did the trick since I was in the process of replacing a ton of old probably half fried sensors anyway.

Now i'm just working on the stalling issues while idling, but the stalling while driving had stopped!

(Also no codes ever thrown).
I remember when you were having that problem. Did it just cut off without any hesitation or sign or did you feel some hesitation?

I remember when you were having that problem. Did it just cut off without any hesitation or sign or did you feel some hesitation?
No hesitation, it would just die all the sudden while driving. The radio would still be on, all lights and signals would function, but I would lose power steering, and unless I hit the brakes I would just coast to a stop. One time it died while driving, I coasted for what must have been 30 seconds and it did come back to life and start driving again.