Diff badge and e-brake adjust

RedrumRH

WNC Asheville Area
Supporting Member
I was crawling around under the TJ to do the E-brake adjustment today, not jacked up at all, and tires blocked, and with 31's I can shimmy under the frame. Who knew! It's tight but interesting to get a close up look at the underside. All was damn near mint (TJ sat for last 16 years in a garage with minimum use)! E-brake adjust went great, adjust at the rear drum and then the cable tightening via the long screw. Took my time, after tightening once, and testing twice, and tightening some more, and a final test, I got it dialed in and no more long travel distance for the e-brake lever. The brake lever would pull all the way up (original before position indicated by the white paper tube because I forgot to take an actual before position of the lever), and now it is three clicks to fully engaged. At click two it holds well, except on steeper grade had to go to click three to fully lock the rear brakes. It is nice to know that three clicks and it is securing the vehicle. A week ago I pulled the e-brake lever all the way up, but I was on a slight hill and it started to roll! Jumped in and yanked it hard, and put it in gear to fully secure. Now that BS won't be happening.

While under the TJ, I noticed a manufacturer badge on the diff case. Likely just a run of the mill badge with identifying nomenclature. Anything interesting about the system in this TJ, I assume it is just a standard system/badge?

IMG_1681.jpg
IMG_1682.jpg IMG_1685.jpgIMG_1687.jpg

It's nice having a properly adjusted E brake isn't it. The tag on the TC is just the standard badge for the NP231 case.
No doubt! It has been many years since I have had a standard and forgot how important it is for the lever to be precise.