Diff oil level pinion angle

Pugaroo

Supporting Member
So it’s time to do my 500 mile diff oil change since I had my re-gear done. I have a 4 inch lift, so my pinion angle is turned up. Should I jack up the rear of the jeep to fill the rear diff, or just fill it on the ground and call it good? I searched on the forum and all over google and didn’t find a definite answer.

Through the breather is also an option.
How ever you do it, as long as proper amount gets in, not more or less. I typically begin through the plug and finish through the breather. Sometimes i undo lower control arms, this is the easiest and fastest way.

Sweet. Also, when I re-geared, he recommended 85w-140 gear oil. Seems pretty heavy but he’s a reputable shop owner so I guess he knows what he’s talking about. Anyway thanks for the info.

Here’s how I did it. Found a longer piece of tubing for my pump and went straight to the vent fitting. Stretched the tube with needle nose pliers so it would go over it. I filled the diff until it started to leak out and put in the plug. About 1.25 quarts. Hooked up the hose to the vent fitting and put in the other 1/2 quart. Watching for any leaks but nothing yet 😃

8313C5FD-2163-430D-B04E-3D181F2E6EFB.jpeg

67372B12-C5FD-4979-A186-CB7C23A9D559.jpeg

There's a YouTube video taken through a clear plexiglass differential cover that shows the absolutely massive curtain of gear lube the ring gear throws throughout the housing and toward the pinion gear bearings. Once you see that video you will never worry again about the gear lube level again due to the pinion angle having been raised.

There's a YouTube video taken through a clear plexiglass differential cover that shows the absolutely massive curtain of gear lube the ring gear throws throughout the housing and toward the pinion gear bearings. Once you see that video you will never worry again about the gear lube level again due to the pinion angle having been raised.
Here's the video you speak of where Gale Banks explains the ring gear moving the oil with clear cover.