Diff pro needed: Ford 8.8 carrier too tight with new locker?

That is why you need a shim kit. That way you can have different sized thick shims.

I have them. Thats how I got to my .002 backlash. I just used the cast 1 piece shim on the left and the shim kit on the right. Ended up with the .002 backlash before I called it a night. Looks like I will need to measure 1 piece shim on left and make a shim pack .006 less than original one piece shim. Then configure a shim set to add .006 to current shim set on right.

Reactions: ac_
If your backlash is .002, you need to subtract shim from the left and add shim to the right. If you are using the solid cast shims you either need to find others of the correct thickness or use a different style of shim that sandwiches thinner shims between two thicker shims.

Just wanted to point out this great piece of advise that could come natural to some but not most. Sandwich the smallest shims between the larger ones. This tip will help anyone who is new at this. Its easy to over think the obvious when you are in the midst of learning. It will also save you a shim or two. Using good instruments for measuring is important also. I borrowed a cheap dial indicator from my cousin. So if this is off due to a crummy tool, i'm going to have his head. I have a very good caliper i am using to measure my shims and depth when need be. (mitutuyo) And will have a mic in hand tomorrow.

Last edited:
So a little update as I continued this tonight. I have my ring gear set at .010 backlash. Spec is .008-.012. I then torqued my bearing caps and had the same backlash when double checking. I marked the ring gear with paint and spun the gears. It seems dead on. I would like to share a few photos to get opinions on if I get this pattern correct.

Rear Ring Gear Markings.jpg

Rear Ring Gear Markings2.jpg

Rear Ring Gear Markings3.jpg

Rear Ring Gear Dial.jpg

Rear Axle2.jpg

Yeah I'd run it! I too like the yellow better, but with the exception of the first picture it looks pretty good. (the first picture is hard to make out, not that I see anything wrong there)

this may be overly obvious and i apologize in advance but i have a tool for knocking in those cast spacers, it looks like a small half circle and it goes on teh spacer and the other end you hit with a hammer, they go in much much easier with that tool