Difference between Currie lifts

Artsifrtsi

I just wanna go wheeling...
Supporting Member
I'm getting ready to go ahead and start buying parts to lift the TJ. I have pretty much decided on going ahead and possibly buying RockJock 4inch, but I am concerned with the added work of the slip-yoke and new rear shaft. I see that the Savvy configurable lift I can get as a 3 inch, so might be able to avoid the slip-yoke issues for a while. Can the RJ CE-9800HLS be run with 3 inch coils?

I'm still really undecided on height. For the offroading that we do, 35's have been right on where we want/need on the JT, so figuring that the TJ would probably be where we want in on 33's. The most difficult type of trail that we anticipate with the TJ would be along the lines of Hell's Revenge... nothing more than a difficulty 6 trail. Right now the TJ is stock with 31's, no rubbing at all, it's just a little low for some of the trails we run where we do make skid contact in the JT.

Having had both 3 and 4" suspensions (just that height, not specifically those brands), here are my thoughts.

1. 3" lands in a weird spot with shock selection. You end up having to choose between shocks that are shorter than ideal or longer than ideal, so you often end up with more ride height but aren't able to capitalize with more up/down/total travel.

2. 3" is no guarantee that you won't have driveshaft issues and end up needing an SYE. You'll at the very least need a sizable skid drop and how happy are you gonna be about lifting 3" and only gaining 1.5" of belly height (plus the 1" for the tires)?

Just some food for thought. Any TJ I ever start from scratch with will be either a 4" suspension with 33"+ tires or a <2" with 31s.