Differential gasket replacement questions

If the Lube Locker arrives via Amazon tomorrow I plan on attacking this project this weekend.

A question came up...the Jeep has been in my garage sitting and it is very cold here in Philly. Will the gear oil drain well in cold temps? Do I need to take it around the block a few times first? I want to avoid that as our roads are slush and salt filled and this Jeep has never seen the snow. Anything I can do in the garage to warm up the fluid if it needs to be for better draining?

I have the new fluid sitting in the house to stay warm.

Any input on the question above?

@Jerry Bransford , sorry to call you out but you were following along before. Thanks!
It's likely a multi-weight that should not be all that thick even in cold weather. I doubt you'll have an problem draining it. Leave the very top bolt loosely threaded in and after removing the rest of the screws, pry it open (I use a flat blade screwdriver and mallet) around the bottom so it can drain. The top bolt serves to keep the cover from suddenly falling off into a container of used gear lube.

Reactions: Johnfromphilly
It's likely a multi-weight that should not be all that thick even in cold weather. I doubt you'll have an problem draining it. Leave the very top bolt loosely threaded in and after removing the rest of the screws, pry it open (I use a flat blade screwdriver and mallet) around the bottom so it can drain. The top bolt serves to keep the cover from suddenly falling off into a container of used gear lube.
Great, Thanks Jerry souns good. I have the process down from reading and watching all of the videos about this project. Scraping the old RTV off is my biggest concern other than lifting the Jeep for the first time. I bought 6 ton jacks at your recommendation and will lift the frame to get some room under there. I am thinking that the fact that it has been sitting may be an advantage as all of the fluid is drained out of the shafts and is sitting in the diff.

Thanks agian. I will be sure to report back here how it all goes!

Use a small wire brush for the final cleaning of the RTV remnants on the gasket seating surfaces. A scraper gets most of it off but you want it ALL off which is what a wire brush excels at.

I am thinking that the fact that it has been sitting may be an advantage as all of the fluid is drained out of the shafts and is sitting in the diff.
If you have fluid in the shafts outside of the "pumpkin", I believe that means your inner axle seals are failing. It should all stay inside the diff housing

If you have fluid in the shafts outside of the "pumpkin", I believe that means your inner axle seals are failing. It should all stay inside the diff housing
There are no inner seals on a rear axle, gear lube flowing into the axle tubes is what lubricates the outer axle shaft bearings.

Yes, I got that. Most of the good YouTube videos make that very clear. The Dana 35 is just a rubber plug but I will pull it first anyway.
I say that and I still didn't do it until I drained. It worked out but I just forgot. I got lucky that it already had a lubelocker on it from the prior owner.

I need to replace my dana 60 rear fluid but I think that's going to be a real pain in the ass.

My TJ has a trailer hitch in the back, attached to the frame, there is no frame member across the back. The trailer hitch bar runs frame to frame.

Can I use this as my jack point to lift the Jeep up and put the 6 ton jack stand under the frame in front of the wheels? I don’t want to jack it up side by side but is the, mopar labeled, trailer hitch bar safe to use as a jack point?

also realized my current 2 ton jack is way too small to lift high enough. Buying a 3 ton jack tomorrow.

Last edited:
Just to put closure on this thread, I had success with this project.

I removed the cover, cleaned everything up and installed the new Lube Locker gasket today. Thanks to @Jerry Bransford and others who gave advice in this thread.

I cannot test the seal because of wet and salty roads but everything went by the book with the installation so I think I am good to go! Thanks again

12855FB5-B356-4CB4-9D31-91D475B0F3DB.jpegF4A0C3C4-8E53-456B-A523-964E41DC8B77.jpegA8D1020D-D7FA-4156-A227-C78349BE0F4E.jpeg

Last edited:
Use a small wire brush for the final cleaning of the RTV remnants on the gasket seating surfaces. A scraper gets most of it off but you want it ALL off which is what a wire brush excels at.
Thank you Jerry! How has the thought of using a wire brush to get the final bits off eluded me all these years? Dragging razor blades -check. Scotch bright pads - check. Roloc disks - check. I wasn't in search of this bit of info on this thread, but there it was... and I just put it to use. Pure quick and simple and the tool's always hanging above the workbench.
Thanks again.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford