Digital Instrument Cluster

M

Miles137

Just heard about these new Intellitronix TJ LED Direct Replacement Dash Instrument Cluster Panels, check them out
DP6013G.jpg
DP6013W.jpg
DP6013R.jpg
DP6013B.jpg

It looks pretty cool, I'll give it that.

However, when it comes to TJs, I like analog. Hell, I'd like to have an older CJ style dash in our TJ. Something you'd find in a classic muscle car. Those old, super analog gauges with a nicely shaped dashboard (we've got a minivan dashboard basically).

A dashboard like this might be nice:

28c636080c2d0645e5ba0ff6b11d0e77.jpg

As an analog guy in a digital world, I have to admit that looks pretty nice. I doubt that I would buy it, but at least it isn't bling for bling's sake. All it needs is a plain language readout for trouble codes...

It looks cool but digital readouts (numbers being displayed instead of pointers) were long-ago abandoned by automotive, spacecraft, ship, and aircraft designers because they aren't as quickly or easily interpreted. Analog indicators are designed so most keep their pointers in the middle of the scale and usually pointed straight up when everything is working properly. Only things like fuel gauges can't be designed to stay mid-scale though a mid-scale indication of the gas quantity certainly means you're not about to run out of gas.

Commercial pilots were the first to squawk loudly and vociferously about all numeric displays on the new glass cockpit instrument clusters that came out in new aircraft in the 80's. When numbers are displayed instead of a pointer, the pilot has to take the time to actually read the numbers and interpret what they mean. When analog displays are used, a gauge that isn't indicating mid-scale (normal) will be easily noticed without having to actually read them. A non-centered analog gauge indicator means a problem. PIlots can focus on flying instead of interpreting numbers when analog displays are presented to them. Same with any other vehicle that requires gauges.

That's why literally all modern cars, aircraft, ships, spacecraft went back to analog displays even though they are driven by digital electronics. Cars only had numerical readout speedometers for a year or two, owners hated them. Yes the analog gauges are still operated by digital electronics behind the display but the designers spent a great deal of time getting the digital information to actually display in the better and more easily interpreted analog format.

The speedometer and tachometer in the above display is in an analog format but those other gauges displaying just raw numbers just leave me cold. I personally wouldn't even consider putting anything that un-Jeep-like in my Jeep.

Last edited:
Wow Jerry, I just learned something new (and cool), thank you!

One digital cluster I always liked the Honda S2000 gauge cluster:

3227440383_7154dd2915_b.jpg

Reactions: Jon Wildes
Commercial pilots were the first to squawk loudly and vociferously about all numeric displays on the new glass cockpit instrument clusters that came out in new aircraft in the 80's. When numbers are displayed instead of a pointer, the pilot has to take the time to actually read the numbers and interpret what they mean. When analog displays are used, a gauge that isn't indicating mid-scale (normal) will be easily noticed without having to actually read them. A non-centered analog gauge indicator means a problem. Pilots can focus on flying instead of interpreting numbers when analog displays are presented to them. Same with any other vehicle that requires gauges.

When I was a crew chief on Navy H-3's and H-2's in the 70's and 80's all of the steam gauges on the instrument panel were turned so that the pointer was straight up when operating normally. You could tell at a glance if your temps and pressures were good. I'm too old and set in my ways to go completely digital, although I do like a GPS-based digital nav display in my aircraft.

On the subject of analog vs. digital readout displays, this is the latest F35 all glass all digital cockpit whose gauges are in all analog format.

F35 instruments.JPG

What was cool was I got to fly the F35 flight simulator while at the local Marine Corps air station last year. I have a pilot's license but wow that thing was complex with information overload without a lot of time in the seat to help master it. So much information you had to flip between screens (like Windows pages) depending on what you're doing.

Landing.jpg

Jerry-in-F35.jpg

Last edited:
On the subject of analog vs. digital readout displays, this is the latest F35 all glass all digital cockpit whose gauges are in all analog format.

View attachment 19408

What was cool was I got to fly the F35 flight simulator while at the local Marine Corps air station last year. I have a pilot's license but wow that thing was complex with information overload without a lot of time in the seat. So much information you had to flip between screens (like Windows pages) depending on what you're doing.

View attachment 19410
View attachment 19411

Wow... that is simply mind blowing! So, so cool!!!

Reactions: Shane Mckinley

View attachment 19408

What was cool was I got to fly the F35 flight simulator while at the local Marine Corps air station last year. I have a pilot's license but wow that thing was complex with information overload without a lot of time in the seat. So much information you had to flip between screens (like Windows pages) depending on what you're doing.

View attachment 19410
View attachment 19411

You know, I must be even more old school than I realized - I'm actively uncomfortable with the idea that there are no backup steam gauges anywhere in that cockpit. Even the backup HSI is digital. Sure, there must be multiple redundant power supplies and your battle damage would have to be almost unsurvivable for it to be an issue, but it bothers me anyway. And here I thought I was making progress, I've almost accepted the idea of metal rotor blades...

BTW, do you think we've hijacked this thread thoroughly enough?

Don't feel too bad about hijacking the thread. I'm 99% sure the OP is trying to get some free advertising for his product. I checked out his profile and he just created his account here today, and posted this as his first (and only) post.

I'm very certain he did that because he works for the guys who make this cluster, and he wants to promote his product.

Shady, but it's an interesting enough product that I'll let it fly.

Reactions: Neal
You know, I must be even more old school than I realized - I'm actively uncomfortable with the idea that there are no backup steam gauges anywhere in that cockpit. Even the backup HSI is digital. Sure, there must be multiple redundant power supplies and your battle damage would have to be almost unsurvivable for it to be an issue, but it bothers me anyway. And here I thought I was making progress, I've almost accepted the idea of metal rotor blades...
Triple backup, all three computers have to agree or the odd computer that doesn't agree gets shut down. Same with power sources, three separate. It's designed to fight and survive.

[/ThreadhijackOff] :D

Reactions: Neal
Don't feel too bad about hijacking the thread. I'm 99% sure the OP is trying to get some free advertising for his product. I checked out his profile and he just created his account here today, and posted this as his first (and only) post.

I'm very certain he did that because he works for the guys who make this cluster, and he wants to promote his product.

Shady, but it's an interesting enough product that I'll let it fly.
Yea, it was pretty obvious it was a free ad, not a real thread on something for the TJ. Honestly, it is a waste of money and looks ridiculous. They should post them up on a JK site. Would likely sell the shit out of them.