Dirtworx Bumper / Tire Carrier installed

dan lee

TJ Addiction
Supporting Member
Got her all primed & painted and installed. Very pleased with the workmanship of this part
Thanks Rob

IMG_5595.JPG

That looks great. How is the hinge put together? Is there a bearing inside? I've never seen his tire carrier.

Nice, I like that! I’m always skeptical of bumper mounted tire carriers, only because the one I currently have (and the one I had in the past) started to sag with the weight of the tire on it, and became actually much harder to open than they should have been. Maybe it’s bad bearings?

Never seen these before, but they check all the boxes for what I need in a tire carrier and the price is nice. I’d been looking at the OR fab one but it’s pretty pricey. Is the tire mount adjustable at all or is it fixed? I’d be looking to put a 35” on it.

hmm no bearing, I wonder if that will eventually make it harder to open?

I have had my bumper/tire carrier for about a year and a half and the hinge has operated smoothly from the get-go. I hit it with a few pumps of grease when I do all the other grease fittings, so I don't anticipate any issues long term. I do have one minor complaint: The Harbor Freight-sourced latch (no kidding, it still had the price tag attached when I got the bumper from Robert) occasionally opens on its own when I'm out bouncing off the rocks, creating an amazing amount of noise when the carrier swings around and hits the stop, but no damage. I'm looking at adding a locking pin to keep everything in place, as soon as I figure out where to drill the hole. Aside from that, no worries. I'd recommend Dirtworx products to anyone, anytime.

I have had my bumper/tire carrier for about a year and a half and the hinge has operated smoothly from the get-go. I hit it with a few pumps of grease when I do all the other grease fittings, so I don't anticipate any issues long term. I do have one minor complaint: The Harbor Freight-sourced latch (no kidding, it still had the price tag attached when I got the bumper from Robert) occasionally opens on its own when I'm out bouncing off the rocks, creating an amazing amount of noise when the carrier swings around and hits the stop, but no damage. I'm looking at adding a locking pin to keep everything in place, as soon as I figure out where to drill the hole. Aside from that, no worries. I'd recommend Dirtworx products to anyone, anytime.

Looking at that, I could see how that could happen, I think I will weld a flat piece behind the handle and drill through the handle, maybe install a bolt & nut. Only to be used while wheeling. Thanks for the heads up

That was my picture linked up towards the top. I'll say I've never had a problem with the latch, I adjusted it until I was happy with the amount of pressure it holds when it's closed. As for the hinge, it does get a little tough to open every so often, but all I have to do is pump a little grease in there and it swings like new. No sagging, no rattles. Very happy with how low profile the bumper is, and it even gave me a place to put my auxiliary reverse lights.

Also, just to qualify what I mean by "tough to open" - after several months of doing nothing for the hinge, I'll start to notice that I have to actually push it with my hand to open it up all the way when I'm on level ground. Not with a ton of force, but it will no longer just swing all the open with a small nudge when I'm on level ground. So overall it's not a huge concern as I regularly grease up other parts of the Jeep anyway.

Reactions: ac_
That was my picture linked up towards the top. I'll say I've never had a problem with the latch, I adjusted it until I was happy with the amount of pressure it holds when it's closed. As for the hinge, it does get a little tough to open every so often, but all I have to do is pump a little grease in there and it swings like new. No sagging, no rattles. Very happy with how low profile the bumper is, and it even gave me a place to put my auxiliary reverse lights.

Also, just to qualify what I mean by "tough to open" - after several months of doing nothing for the hinge, I'll start to notice that I have to actually push it with my hand to open it up all the way when I'm on level ground. Not with a ton of force, but it will no longer just swing all the open with a small nudge when I'm on level ground. So overall it's not a huge concern as I regularly grease up other parts of the Jeep anyway.

Nice! I grease mine every oil change. I haven't had any issues with mine at all. I am really happy with mine too.

Reactions: PStov98TJ