Discount Tire is Amazing!

tstaut

Hi all, my KM2s were dry rotting, chunking and splitting at the sidewalls. They were manufactured in 2015. PO must have left the jeep out in the sun? Anyway, I decided to go with Duratracs (35x12.5x17) from Discount Tire. Their service has always been good and I'm planning on taking advantage of the "no questions asked" road hazard warranty.

I went to pick up the jeep and the manager came out to "show me a couple things." Basically they tore up the plastic trim on my Mickey Thompson metal series wheels (that the PO added and I was never in love with).

So.... "We're going to buy you 5 new wheels. Go on the site and pick out whichever ones you want."

Getting the Fuel Anzas on next week, they list at $306 each and look a hell of a lot better than those Mickey Thompsons!

1640124313047.jpg
1640124375658.jpg

Their amazingness starts and ends with person taking care of your paperwork.
Their work bay on other hand is full of high school dufuses with head full of paper clips instead of brains.

Last week had tires balanced at their Texas location, had to go out to the work bay 3 times to explain and re-explain where to to put weights, where not to put weights, why they need to wipe brake dust 1st, why not to slap them all sorts crooked on the rim, why weight flopping on the endge of the rim is a no-no, why i dont need my tires to be at 51 psi and why i am asking what i am asking.
I went from verbally explaining, to pointing out issues with my hand, to standing next to the issues, starring at it, and pointing with a finger while telling them to look at what i am pointing my finger at. Cant make this shit up, and i have had this experience in 4 different states over the years.
Frustrating, but manageable and entertaining :D

But credit is due where credit is due, their work place is always clean, good building lay out, equipment seems to be in good shape and its balancing results are consistent from shop to shop. Receipts get emailed, and their no-bs policy tends to be exactly that.

Reactions: JMT
Free wheels is always a win. Especially some nice ones like that. Thank you HS technician!

Their amazingness starts and ends with person taking care of your paperwork.
Their work bay on other hand is full of high school dufuses with head full of paper clips instead of brains.

Last week had tires balanced at their Texas location, had to go out to the work bay 3 times to explain and re-explain where to to put weights, where not to put weights, why they need to wipe brake dust 1st, why not to slap them all sorts crooked on the rim, why weight flopping on the endge of the rim is a no-no, why i dont need my tires to be at 51 psi and why i am asking what i am asking.
I went from verbally explaining, to pointing out issues with my hand, to standing next to the issues, starring at it, and pointing with a finger while telling them to look at what i am pointing my finger at. Cant make this shit up, and i have had this experience in 4 different states over the years.
Frustrating, but manageable and entertaining :D

But credit is due where credit is due, their work place is always clean, good building lay out, equipment seems to be in good shape and its balancing results are consistent from shop to shop. Receipts get emailed, and their no-bs policy tends to be exactly that.
You sound like the tire-shop version of a Karen. LOL. I've never had any issues and always had great service, but then again I am not a master wheel balancer so maybe ignorance is bliss.

I'd only use Discount tire if they promised to screw up my wheels and buy me new ones. :unsure: I used them once and had to take the Jeep back several times to get them to balance the tires correctly. I have zero patience for idiots.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: John Cooper
I love my old ProComp rims. You can't find them easily anymore either. I'd be pissed if they trashed them. Appreciative of the offer but still pissed.....

Those are nice replacements BTW. Sharp looking.

Reactions: Starrs
I've always had great service at Discount Tire and won't go anywhere else. I had a dealership tear the bead on my brand new tire and tell me I had to buy a new one. The shop manager refused to admit their tech tore the tire and accused me of driving on the flat, which I did not. I told them to F off and went to Discount. They told me that the tire was a special order and recommended I go to the dealer. After I told them the situation they ordered the tire for me at cost and mounted it for free.

I have done business with Discount for decades. Seems they were always the ones who could balance the wide 5 VW rims.

My next rim purchase will be beadlocks. I hear Discount won't deal with them. The shop who did me regear told me they could balance me beadlocks when I get them. Crisis averted.

I'm planning on taking advantage of the "no questions asked" road hazard warranty.
Maybe this is why you had good experience - you bought the "free replacement certificates"? They must get a nice commission on that. Their demeanor instantly changes to less friendly if you say no to their special warranty.

Regarding the warranty. It's only good for three years. Cost is based on tire price. If you use the warranty, you pay mount/balance, disposal, taxes, fees, another warranty on the new tire...

If you use the warranty once on a set of five $300 tires, then the "free" tire is actually costing you about $311 plus tax.

I love my old ProComp rims. You can't find them easily anymore either. I'd be pissed if they trashed them. Appreciative of the offer but still pissed.....

Those are nice replacements BTW. Sharp looking.
These old MT's have cheap plastic all over them, that's what got torn up by their mounting machine. I don't think your ProComp rims would have had this problem.

Maybe this is why you had good experience - you bought the "free replacement certificates"? They must get a nice commission on that. Their demeanor instantly changes to less friendly if you say no to their special warranty.

Regarding the warranty. It's only good for three years. Cost is based on tire price. If you use the warranty, you pay mount/balance, disposal, taxes, fees, another warranty on the new tire...

If you use the warranty once on a set of five $300 tires, then the "free" tire is actually costing you about $311 plus tax.
I get the math, but the peace of mind is worth it to me. Especially the "no questions asked" part on tires I have every intention of pushing to their limits on trails and rocks.

Hopefully they don’t trash this set when they throw them on. I’d ask to pick them up and go elsewhere to have them installed. I’ve never had a good experience with these guys.