Disney, OK

hear

Can't type
Lifetime Supporting Member
This was our 2nd trip to Disney, first was this time last year. I was in my JKU that time, and water levels were much, much higher. A few spots people had water coming over their door sills & noses down into a deep hole, but never any real problems. To be safe, one guy added a snorkel for the trip, and I relocated my 32RH's breather hose and extended my other breathers as well. It may have been unnecessary this trip, but better safe than sorry.

The park itself is part state park, but 100% public land, mostly behind Pensacola Dam, which is the longest multiple arch dam in the world. There are 2 other smaller dams, each of which have cool geography behind them. There is some cool rock crawling to be done in that area, and it transitions into a wide riverbed which is bedrock underneath so it makes for good wheeling, no fear of getting stuck in soft mud. There are a few DEEP spots, so it's not a total free for all. When the water is up, you can do an island hopping sort of thing for several miles...super fun. And some good sized shelves to climb up, some are waterfalls with good water conditions. The river transitions into the hills, which give you the wooded trails with tons of good climbs, dry creek beds, that sort of thing. Plus plenty of steep stuff & technical sections. And then of course there is a soup bowl area with a ton of mud holes if thats your jam.

The group was my TJ, an XJ, a JKU, a Samurai, and a friend who just bought a side by side. We like him so we only tease him behind his back about it. The Sami broke 3 drive shaft u-joints and eventually grenaded his slip yoke, but he had a lot of backup parts with him.

image1.jpeg

IMG_2526.jpg

From the top of the dam:
IMG_2535.jpg

From below the dam:
IMG_2520.jpg

Riverbed below another portion of the dam. This is about 50' above the river bed, so there is some nice waterfalls and climbing to be done to get to the bottom (not pictured).
IMG_2472.jpg

Water is super clean with a rock bottom...clean except for where we stir it all up.

IMG_2504.jpg

Pics never do the steep stuff justice. This was a butt pucker for sure. Rode that tree just ahead & to the left of my spotter on my roll bar. Super sketch, but we did it.
IMG_2495.jpg

The Sami has never seen a hole he didn't want to conquer. We were on our way out of this section when we got the call on the walkie: "uh guys, I'm gonna need a pull" and then we came back and found this.

image0.jpeg

And then the Sami hitting this with a full head of steam:
IMG_2500.PNG

Here is part of one particularly fun section that involved backing down onto a ledge in the water, and then following that shelf to the next section. You can see the water gets DEEP just off that shelf. Prior to this was a section across a waterfall ledge — couldn't go right, you'd fall down the falls (5 foot drop), couldn't go left cuz deep water, and then up a steep climb to get to this section. That stuff is a blast, but I don't need a ton of it in my life. :)

Me failing to climb up the waterfall:

And then this super sketch descent...my man almost lost an arm & leg here:

Now it is crystal clear why you wanted to re-locate the 32RH vent. This looks like a fun trip for sure! (y)

• Haha
Reactions: hear
Greetings from another Jeeper in North DFW. Looks awesome. I've never been to Disney but its on my list. Maybe next spring once my lift and tires are on. I've been to Clayton Lake once before and it was awesome.

Greetings from another Jeeper in North DFW. Looks awesome. I've never been to Disney but its on my list. Maybe next spring once my lift and tires are on. I've been to Clayton Lake once before and it was awesome.

where at in NDFW? Not sure if you've heard, but it's a big place.

We go to Crossbar somewhat regularly, let me know if you want to tag along next time.
Awesome, yeah I'd love to do that. My Jeep is still a stocker. Next spring, when the bonus hits I'll have a lift and tires. Looking forward to it.

Are there any decent Jeep clubs locally? A decade ago I was a member of Lone Star Jeep Club, but they seem to have imploded and there's not much activity anymore.

looks like fun. I'd like to try Disney some day but to be honest it seems kindof intimidating because I'm used to having a map of forest service roads in Colorado where it's really obvious where I can and can't go. Having a big open rocky space reminds me of hiking and I just think of getting off where I'm not supposed to be and getting cliffed out, lol.

looks like fun. I'd like to try Disney some day but to be honest it seems kindof intimidating because I'm used to having a map of forest service roads in Colorado where it's really obvious where I can and can't go. Having a big open rocky space reminds me of hiking and I just think of getting off where I'm not supposed to be and getting cliffed out, lol.
Yeah, I'm jealous of all the Colorado guys being here in north Texas.

That's valid, but we've never found such a place at Disney after spending about 7-8 days exploring now. The most trouble you can get in is being careless in the water and finding a DEEP spot where you weren't expecting one. So aside from that, it's the sort of place where you can drive anywhere you want. Night wheeling is a thing out there, and we didn't get into any trouble even then (but definitely stayed away from the water in the dark!!!!).

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
Yeah, I'm jealous of all the Colorado guys being here in north Texas.

I am too, now. 6 months ago I had forest service roads 5 miles from my doorstep and real wheeling trails within half an hour, then some of the most scenic but mostly doable by a stock Jeep within another 3 hours. Now I think crossbar is the nearest at about 2 hours away, and disney is probably next at 3 hours.

I actually lived about 20 miles from Disney from 2007-2012. These are some old photos from a visit up to the west end of the dam when the just a few of the gates were open. I don't think I'd want to be wheeling down there when the lake was up.

IMG_4123.JPG

IMG_4111.JPG

IMG_4127.JPG

Reactions: PRNDL and Vasq
wow, that's fantastic!! They say there are alarms that sound when they're going to open the flood gates, and that you need to seek high ground immediately. One of the pics I posted is downstream of that gusher, we would absolutely be swept away in that scenario. I don't know this for a fact, but based on the "river banks" & tree lines you'd only have to get up about 6-8' to avoid trouble, and you're never very far away from a chance to climb the banks and get out of trouble should that ever actually happen.

But man, I bet my blood pressure would skyrocket if I ever heard those sirens!!

Reactions: PRNDL
Awesome, yeah I'd love to do that. My Jeep is still a stocker. Next spring, when the bonus hits I'll have a lift and tires. Looking forward to it.

Are there any decent Jeep clubs locally? A decade ago I was a member of Lone Star Jeep Club, but they seem to have imploded and there's not much activity anymore.
NTJC is good if you want a sticker on your jeep (admittedly, I have one on my JKU), they used to do meet ups at places like Gas Monkey, but 'rona kinda did all that in. They do plan wheeling trips and offer 101 courses and stuff, but I've never done anything with them. They're great if you have trouble and need 25 people to recommend you get your oil changed at Dallas Offroad. Yet Another Jeep Club doesn't have a huge following but it's got people who actually work on their jeeps.

Reactions: PRNDL