Ditching the 42RLE in my LJ: What would be involved in swapping in a 32RH?

LJSki

Junkyard Crawler
Supporting Member
Hi guys. First time poster. Been lurking around the internet for about a month looking for a 42rle replacement for my LJ; mine is doing the 1-2 shift lurch and I'd like something more rugged. What would be involved in swapping in a 32RH?

I replaced by NV 3550 in my 2000 TJ with an AW4 out of a 1999 cherokee in 2009. You get to keep an overdrive with the AW4. It has been flawless so far.
I am not sure what differences may arise with not starting out with a manual....I would presume you would have to swap out your ECM for a manual ECM. Anyway, I love my AW4.

A quick gut check to determine if its in fact the PCM would be to scan for codes, (Note: they dont set off the CEL, but they trigger some typical ODB codes with the PCM failure). Also a simple basic check would be to disconnect the battery and reset the PCM. This usually stops the harsh shift for 100+ miles or so while the system relearns. Not the most elaborate diagnostics but certainly easy to do before your start researching tranny swaps or spending money.

I suspect @mrblaine has probably swapped a 42RLE or two for a 32RH, so he would know what's involved.

I know he swapped a 42RLE for an AW4, though I'm really not sure that swap is worth the hassle. I've owned both XJs with AW4s and TJs with 42RLEs, and I can't say one is any better than the other, unless I'm overlooking something.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try a PCM reset and some scanning to get a better idea of what I'm dealing with. I do have a AW4 sitting under my bench but its a spare for the Cherokee. I'm willing to get into some hassle if it gets me a solid transmission. No plans for crazy off-roading - just trail riding with stock wheels. Still pretty interested in the 32RH though.

Codes P0218 and P0714 are a couple of tranny codes that are typically associated with the PCM failure. They can result in harsh shifts or odd early shifts/lockup conditions. Lots of info on this board about that. Post up your findings and I'm sure someone will chime in to help out. The transmission control module is part of the PCM on the 05/06 so the swap isn't super straight forward.

The problem with swapping a 32RH into a 2003 or newer TJ is their newer PCMs have no way to automatically control the 32RH torque converter's lockup circuit. That means its torque converter would always be slipping which means lower mpg and a hotter running transmission.

Personally I'd stick with the 42RLE and hope that a reprogrammed PCM would fix it.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try a PCM reset and some scanning to get a better idea of what I'm dealing with. I do have a AW4 sitting under my bench but its a spare for the Cherokee. I'm willing to get into some hassle if it gets me a solid transmission. No plans for crazy off-roading - just trail riding with stock wheels. Still pretty interested in the 32RH though.
This is a never ending battle. It never gets any more fun. The AW-4 is a giant piece of mechanical poo. It has 2 things going for it, reliability, and OD. Of those, the OD is just barely tolerable. The 42RLE has a .69 OD, the AW has .75. That is a difference of .06 or about 1 gear step. If you can't fix the 42 by going one gear step deeper (you can't) then the AW-4 isn't really that much better.

The things it doesn't have going for it are they are terribly inefficient and rob lots of power. If you want to run it with 33's it is barely tolerable. Step up to 35's and the 42 will walk off and leave it all day long. (we have done that test with similar rigs) Go even bigger with tires and it gets worse.

It runs hot, even with a high dollar cooler and one that will cool the 42 all day long easily, they still run upwards of 220 when you work it hard.

They are much longer than they need to be.
They hang down much further than is prudent.

I also have to go through this conversation in writing via email every time I do a swap because invariably the owner gets in touch and wants to know a few things. Where did my power go and why does it run so hot and why does it have such a hard time going up hills now? I have to go dig up the email and forward it to them again where I pointed out that they run hot, rob power, and the OD isn't that special.

If you care to, go to Novak Conversions and look at what they have to say about the AW-4. The first time I read it, I thought I wrote it.

I suspect @mrblaine has probably swapped a 42RLE or two for a 32RH, so he would know what's involved.

I know he swapped a 42RLE for an AW4, though I'm really not sure that swap is worth the hassle. I've owned both XJs with AW4s and TJs with 42RLEs, and I can't say one is any better than the other, unless I'm overlooking something.
I've not done the 32 into a later than 02. I've done lots of 32 to NV3550 and back. AX-15 to 32 and back. AW-4 into 97-02 and 05-06. 42RLE to NV3550 in 05-06. NSG370 to 42RLE in 05-06. Oddly, I've not done any swaps for the 03-04 and I'm not sure why.

Still looking for an 05-06 Rubi 42LRE that wants a NSG370 to do that swap.

Reactions: Chris
Where did my power go and why does it run so hot and why does it have such a hard time going up hills now?

I never knew this, but I guess I learned something new. I always wondered why my XJ had such a hard time going up hills, even with 32s.

I never knew this, but I guess I learned something new. I always wondered why my XJ had such a hard time going up hills, even with 32s.
Put it in a TJ and it really falls on its face. Good friend has helped me do several swaps. I make him test drive them in the TJ after since he is a big XJ guy. He always gets out shaking his head going WTF??. They work so well in the XJ, why do they suck so much in the TJ? We are thinking it may be prudent to get Joe involved in some valve body tuning.

If I end up doing a 32RH, I'll drag out the camera equipment and document it. So far I think a manual PCM is needed, and I'll use a manual lockup switch until I figure out how to automate it. I work from home so the lack of overdrive won't be a huge deal - or I'll just use the Cherokee for longer drives. No lifts or huge tires for my LJ - I had to look hard to find a good one and I want to keep it classy.

I have no plans to use an AW4 in a Wrangler - I'll save that for the Cherokee.

Put it in a TJ and it really falls on its face. Good friend has helped me do several swaps. I make him test drive them in the TJ after since he is a big XJ guy. He always gets out shaking his head going WTF??. They work so well in the XJ, why do they suck so much in the TJ? We are thinking it may be prudent to get Joe involved in some valve body tuning.

Is weight the reason they suck even more in the TJ?

I'd just keep the 42RLE and see if @Wranglerfix can possibly address the shift issue (he's had a lot of success with it).

I used to hate the 42RLE, but once you re-gear and get in the habit of turning the OD off every time you get in the vehicle, then it becomes just fine.

Believe me, once you get in that habit, it makes all the difference in the world. As for the hard shifts, I suspect that may be PCM related, in which case @Wranglerfix is the person to talk to.

Is weight the reason they suck even more in the TJ?
Inefficient. Aerodynamic differences, tire diameter, and weight all add up to show how poor they are. My other helper was all happy with the power and telling me how great it was and how wrong I was about them. Then he went and ran around out in the desert for a weekend with his buddy with a TJ Unlimited auto on 35's with 5.38's just like his extended wheelbase TJ. After trying to keep up and not being able to for a weekend, he came back and admitted he was wrong.

I agree with Chris. Re-gearing is critical and the OD button is your friend. I took it a step further and reprogrammed the OD shift points and I'm happy with its shifting now. My only small gripe is the lack of control when it comes to converter lockup.