DIY Interior Cargo Rack for LJ

Mr. Bills

Raconteur Emeritus
Supporting Member
Area Code 605 USA & Código de área 415 MX
My last weekend project was an interior cargo rack for my LJ. Additional photos are at the end of this post.

LJ Interior Cargo Rack view 1.jpg

Design Goals:

I wanted something to fit behind the factory rear seat that will allow me to access my trail box, tools, repair parts, fluids, trail box, etc. without having to pull everything out to get to an item on the bottom. I also wanted to be able to open my cooler at lunchtime without having to remove gear to access it. The rack needed to be quickly and easily removed and not weigh a ton. I also wanted to keep the cost of materials low in case my design was a major fail.

Materials List:

28', 3/4"square tube, 16 ga.
4', 1 1/2" angle, 1/8" thick
2', 1 1/2" flat stock, 1/8" thick
1 can, Rust-Oleum Universal Hammered Spray Paint, Black

Dimensions:

40" wide x 17" deep x 22 1/2" tall (from floor to bottom of rack)

Notes re Dimensions:

The 22 1/2" leg height allows two Frontrunner Wolfpack storage boxes with high lids to fit underneath. However, with the factory rear seat in place one cannot stack the Wolfpack boxes due to the 20" length of the top box interfering with the angled rear glass of the factory hardtop. (It is not an issue if the rear seat is folded forward or removed because the Wolfpack boxes can be anchored farther forward.) Not to be defeated, I switched gears and used a standard 13" x 19" x 11" high milk crate as a trail box on the bottom with a smaller 13" x 13" x 11" high milk crate on top which holds my camp kitchen gear. The smaller box on top eliminates any clearance issues with the rear glass.

The 17" depth allows 1 1/2" clearance from the rear glass. If I were to do it over again I would reduce the depth to 16".

The 40" width allows me to reach around the sides of the rack without having to squeeze past the roll bar. I had originally planned to make the rack 36" wide but 40" looked better and I had no shortage of material because I had to buy two 20' "sticks" of 3/4" square tube even though the project only requires 28'. (I have another use for the excess.)

Construction:

The rack itself is a simple 40" x 17" rectangle with 3 cross bars. The leg assemblies are 22 1/2" high x 12" wide, with angle at the top and bottom and a piece of 1 1/2" flat stock across the middle about 9" up from the bottom for lateral support. the leg assemblies were bolted in place in the jeep and the rack set on top to mark the location, then everything was removed and welded together. Barely visible in the second and second to last photos on the left side is a gusset at the top of the leg assembly to increase rigidity. There is s similar gusset on the right side.

Securing the Rack:

The leg assemblies slide in tightly. All that is required to secure the rack in place is 2 bolts per side through holes drilled through the 1 1/2" flat stock and the tub.

Weight and Load Capacity:

The finished rack weighs a bit less than 25 lbs. Its purpose is to secure bag chairs, sleeping bags, tents and other relatively lightweight items. Although a quantitative load test has not been performed, we did strap 100 lbs. of weightlifting plates to the rack with the rack installed in the jeep, far more than the rack will ever carry, then tried to bend, twist and warp the rack and legs. We couldn't.

Additional Photos:

LJ Interior Cargo Rack installed view 2.jpg

LJ Interior Cargo Rack installed view 1.jpg

LJ Interior Cargo Rack as set up for daily use.jpg

LJ Interior Cargo Rack loaded for offroad day run.jpg

Hope my project gives you some ideas for your own interior cargo rack.

EDIT: 17 June 2022

Here are some additional photos showing the gear I usually take for an extended trip and how it packs:

Gear ready for packing 05 05 19.jpg

Packed and ready to go 05 05 19.jpg

The gear behind the driver's seat:

Gear behind driver seat 05 05 19.jpg

Sometimes I take a Kodiak Canvas one-person bedroll/swag tent, which fits on the back seat. One of my goals was to avoid having to remove the rear seat. I pack around it instead. This shot also shows the unobstructed view out the rear window with everything packed:

View out rear window with gear packed 05 05 19.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work! You’re going to love the how convenient two level storage makes everything

Great idea! I may have build something like that! I’m always digging for something and it seems to be always on the bottom! You got me thinking. Let us know how it works out and if any changes should be done! I’m not going to build my today so you have a little while . Thanks ! The more minds the better!

Great idea! I may have build something like that! I’m always digging for something and it seems to be always on the bottom! You got me thinking. Let us know how it works out and if any changes should be done! I’m not going to build my today so you have a little while . Thanks ! The more minds the better!

I like @Mr. Bills design because he retains his rear seat.
If you don’t need or want to run the rear seat I’ll post a link to the cargo basket I use in my LJ just in case you hadn’t seen my thread

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/custom-cargo-basket-storage.8648/

I’ve changed the height of mine several times as detailed in my thread but the utility of it hasn’t changed. I love it for storing my tent, chair, sleeping pad and bag, and other light things. I use it for light weight items that maybe are ackward to tie down.

Both racks are good ideas! I’ll need to keep the rear seat for the grandkids.
Mr Bills rack raises a question after reading @jgaz comment about adjustable height. Would it be useful to have the sides of Mr Bills rack adjustable? Have the sides cut in half and the top half slides over the bottom (and drill holes so you could pin it at different heights) one inside the other. Still keeping the side brace bolted to the wheel wells with enough space to slide the legs up and down! Hope I made since of this, it does to me : )

Update 5/21/18:

I just returned from the first weekend trip after installing my interior rack. I had originally planned to add footman loops in various places but after living with the rack a bit I don't think I will need them. Time will tell. The height of the rack worked out perfectly. (I have a similar interior cargo rack in another 4x4 I own, so the optimum height for my gear was worked out long ago.) I had been a bit concerned about rear visibility with chairs and other items on top of the rack but those concerns were unwarranted.

This rack could certainly be built with adjustable legs but I don't see really see the need for a rig with hardtop in place. Also, one thing I hate is stuff that squeaks and rattles and adjustable legs introduce the possibility that fasteners will loosen and the noises will start. However, if one runs with the top off I can see the advantage of a rack that does not extend above the sides of the tub if one can get the necessary gear to fit in the space underneath.

Update 5/5/2019:

It has been one year since I added the rear cargo shelf to my LJ which has given me time to refine the system and work out the bugs.

One lesson I learned during last year's devastating Carr Fire is to always keep the essentials in the jeep. I was fortunate when the evacuation order came that my jeep was already packed and ready to go on a four wheeling trip that weekend. Others barely escaped with the clothes on their backs; I had everything I needed to fend for myself for an extended period.

The first photo shows everything arranged on the garage floor waiting to be packed. The other photos show how it fits.

Upper row, left to right: Rotomolded cooler, Kodiak Canvas Australian-style swag tent.

Second row: Camp Kitchen in Front Runner "Cubpack" box, Jeep Box containing jacks, jack tools, large hand tools, spill kit and related trail gear, tools for Max-Ax (in green bag), Blue Ridge Overland Gear soft bags for Repair parts, Recovery tools (shackles, soft shackles, straps, ropes, etc.), Provisions, Hand Tools, Hygiene, portable Toilet, Fluids, and sleeping bag in black nylon stuff sack.

Third row: Safety Seal tire repair kit, First Aid kit, Gas One dual fuel stove, jump bag, Front Runner folding chairs, Hi-Lift base, tarp

Fourth row: Folding table, telescoping hiking poles (double as emergency tent poles for Noah's tarp), blanket, bag containing refueling supplies (super siphon, nozzle for fuel can, fuel treatment, etc.), bag with air hose and other tire tools, Kelty Noah's Tarp.

The following photos show everything packed in the jeep. The first aid kit, Recovery bag, air hose bag, Hygiene bag and jump bag live behind the driver's seat within easy reach. The sleeping bags and duffle bags for clothes fit on the fenderwells next to the back seat. The tent bag goes on the back seat (swag tent for solo trips, a different bag with backpacking tent, air mattress and double sleeping bag when there are two of us). Everything else goes behind the rear seat.

Rear of Jeep.jpg
Gear behind driver seat 05 05 19.jpg
Back seat packed 05 05 19.jpg
View out rear window with gear packed 05 05 19.jpg
Front Runner drop down table 2.jpg
Packed and ready to go 05 05 19.jpg
Rear of Jeep.jpg

Note: It takes less than 5 minutes to completely unpack everything and about 10 minutes to load up.

Another note: In case you were wondering What the hell is a Max-Ax, it is a multi-purpose tool based upon an ax that has attachments to turn it into a pick, shovel, rake, hoe, maddox, etc. I acquired it bolted to a roof rack that came with a used ZJ I bought many years ago. The ax portion is pictured in the photo above directly underneath the spare tire, these are the attachments:

Contents of Max Axe tool bag.jpg

Very nice indeed, @Mr. Bills ! Just as it served you well during the evacuation, I like the idea of having essentials ready to roll, just in case. Whether it's for an emergency, or just a spur of the moment trip.

I have the rear seat out of my TJ, so the build @jgaz put together would work well for me.

Reactions: jgaz
@Mr. Bills have you ever heard of a rack like yours for us short wheelbase guys? I'm toying with the idea of ditching my spare and looking for a rack that will fit behind my rear seat just above the tailgate. The rack would be positioned partly inside the cab and partly over the bumper. It would only be used for a small cooler and only with the rear window removed. In a perfect world, the rack would be on a hinge in case the rear window needed to be put back in place. Just remove the cargo and it would flip up and lock in place for storage.

I'm fully aware that this is likely a pipe dream but thought I'd bring it up just in case it's already been done. If nothing else, I'll just add it to my "fabrication to-do list". lol

@Mr. Bills have you ever heard of a rack like yours for us short wheelbase guys? I'm toying with the idea of ditching my spare and looking for a rack that will fit behind my rear seat just above the tailgate. The rack would be positioned partly inside the cab and partly over the bumper. It would only be used for a small cooler and only with the rear window removed. In a perfect world, the rack would be on a hinge in case the rear window needed to be put back in place. Just remove the cargo and it would flip up and lock in place for storage.

I'm fully aware that this is likely a pipe dream but thought I'd bring it up just in case it's already been done. If nothing else, I'll just add it to my "fabrication to-do list". lol

I'm not aware of any commercially available behind-the-rear-seat racks for TJ's but since I have an LJ I haven't looked.

Tuffy makes some nice products for TJ's, including a box with tie downs on top.

Yeah, Tuffy makes some really neat options - I have a couple of them already. Keeping the rear seat in place takes a lot of those off the table, unfortunately.

Update 5/5/2019:

It has been one year since I added the rear cargo shelf to my LJ which has given me time to refine the system and work out the bugs.

One lesson I learned during last year's devastating Carr Fire is to always keep the essentials in the jeep. I was fortunate when the evacuation order came that my jeep was already packed and ready to go on a four wheeling trip that weekend. Others barely escaped with the clothes on their backs; I had everything I needed to fend for myself for an extended period.

The first photo shows everything arranged on the garage floor waiting to be packed. The other photos show how it fits.
View attachment 92055

Upper row, left to right: Rotomolded cooler, Kodiak Canvas Australian-style swag tent.

Second row: Camp Kitchen in Front Runner "Cubpack" box, Jeep Box containing jacks, jack tools, large hand tools, spill kit and related trail gear, tools for Max-Ax (in green bag), Blue Ridge Overland Gear soft bags for Repair parts, Recovery tools (shackles, soft shackles, straps, ropes, etc.), Provisions, Hand Tools, Hygiene, portable Toilet, Fluids, and sleeping bag in black nylon stuff sack.

Third row: Safety Seal tire repair kit, First Aid kit, Gas One dual fuel stove, jump bag, Front Runner folding chairs, Hi-Lift base, tarp

Fourth row: Folding table, telescoping hiking poles (double as emergency tent poles for Noah's tarp), blanket, bag containing refueling supplies (super siphon, nozzle for fuel can, fuel treatment, etc.), bag with air hose and other tire tools, Kelty Noah's Tarp.

The following photos show everything packed in the jeep. The first aid kit, Recovery bag, air hose bag, Hygiene bag and jump bag live behind the driver's seat within easy reach. The sleeping bags and duffle bags for clothes fit on the fenderwells next to the back seat. The tent bag goes on the back seat (swag tent for solo trips, a different bag with backpacking tent, air mattress and double sleeping bag when there are two of us). Everything else goes behind the rear seat.

View attachment 92119View attachment 92055View attachment 92112View attachment 92113View attachment 92114View attachment 92117View attachment 92118View attachment 92119

Note: It takes less than 5 minutes to completely unpack everything and about 10 minutes to load up.

Another note: In case you were wondering What the hell is a Max-Ax, it is a multi-purpose tool based upon an ax that has attachments to turn it into a pick, shovel, rake, hoe, maddox, etc. I acquired it bolted to a roof rack that came with a used ZJ I bought many years ago. The ax portion is pictured in the photo above directly underneath the spare tire, these are the attachments:

View attachment 92121
On your front runner drop down table, any special installation? I notice they don't make one specifically for an LJ so was looking at using the one for the JK. Is that what you also did? Looks great!

On your front runner drop down table, any special installation? I notice they don't make one specifically for an LJ so was looking at using the one for the JK. Is that what you also did? Looks great!
The tailgate is the same on an LJ or a TJ.
Any table designed for one will work on the other.

The tailgate is the same on an LJ or a TJ.
Any table designed for one will work on the other.
Yeah I was wondering if he had to do anything special on the install since frontrunner doesn't make one specifically for the TJ/LJ. They currently show one only for the Jeep JK/JKU/JLs.

I have a Front Runner Drop Down Table P/N TBRA027. It was purchased from SierraExpeditions.com in early 2018. The price was $127 at that time.

TBRA027 appears to be substantially similar to P/N TBRA030 listed for the JK/JKU/JL. Front Runner has recently updated part of its product line. A phone call or email to Front Runner should confirm if the dimensions are the same as TBRA027. Better yet, contact Will at Sierra Expeditions and source your Front Runner table from them.

No special installation instructions, other than I used riv-nuts rather than the supplied hardware.

Last edited: