DIY Rear Floor Tire Mount

K_Dom

I removed my tire carrier from the back gate. After some looking around on this site and a few questions, I got to making a spare tire mount for the rear floor of my TJ. A quick trip out for some hardware and I was ready to get the build started. I did not take step by step pictures but I will try to explain how it all went together. The metal was all cut with an angle grinder and I used my flux core wire welder to weld it all together. It may not be pretty but it seems like it will work. Here is a list of items I used:

24” 5/8 threaded rod
2 5/8 nuts
1 5/8 washer
2 5/16x1 1/2 bolts
4 5/16 washers
2 5/16 lock nuts
1/2” Black pipe nipple
3/4” black pipe nipple
3/4” plywood
3/16 steel plate
Clear RTV

I started by making the plate that mounts to the rear floor.
IMG_3408.jpg

The plate was made from a 3/16 thick tie plate from a local metal supply store. I purchased 2 of them so one could be placed on the bottom of the tub for added strength. I drilled two 3/8's holes for mounting through both plates. I then welded a 5/8" nut to the center of one of the plates. This was then bolted to the rear floor using 5/16"x2" bolts, washers, and lock nuts. I used some clear tv around the holes before bolting it down.
IMG_3409.jpg

From there I started the mounting t handle. I used a 3/4"x 3" black pipe nipple (plumbing pipe) and cut the threads off both ends. On one end, I welded a 5/8" nut. I then flattened the other end some so it could be welded to a 1/2" x 10" black pipe nipple.
IMG_3406.jpg

From there I cut 6" round piece of 3/4" plywood. I drilled a 3/4" hole in the center. From there I had to cut the threaded rod to length. I placed the spare in the Jeep, ran the threaded rod all the way down in the floor mount, placed the wood circle over the threaded rod on top of the spare and then cut it to length to allow the threaded rod to go inside the t handle about an inch. Once cut, I put it all together. I did use a washer between the wood and the the handle. Here is a pic of all the pieces. I painted everything with rattle can primer and paint.
IMG_3405.jpg

Here's the final product mounted:
IMG_3412.jpg

It may not be the prettiest, but hopefully someone else can use this.

Kevin

I used to run something similar in an old pickup bed I had. I mounted the plate underneath though drilling a large for the threaded rod to pass through. That way with the tire removed not got hung up on any mounting brackets when I needed to use the bed.

You can also use some old spare tire hangers from a factory spare mount. Here is a pic of the Toyota one. Maybe an xj one would work?
20211230_224135.jpg