DIY Windshield install, anyone done it?

I did on my VW one time, similar to the Jeep. Never again, what a mess. I had adhesive on everything. I found a local mobile glass dude that's cheaper than what I can buy glass, weatherstripping and glue. He did my truck for $120 installed. Not worth it IMO. Call around and decide for yourself. Its doable, but keep some rags, and acetone handy.

Reactions: qslim
My local glass shop sourced and installed the glass on my 06 TJ for less than I could buy the glass from any online source.

I did on my VW one time, similar to the Jeep. Never again, what a mess. I had adhesive on everything. I found a local mobile glass dude that's cheaper than what I can buy glass, weatherstripping and glue. He did my truck for $120 installed. Not worth it IMO. Call around and decide for yourself. Its doable, but keep some rags, and acetone handy.

Agreed. One & done for me, it really sucked. It takes practice and the right tools to get it right, and my practice session on a old BMW was a real shitshow. Sealant just everywhere, lots of bad language. Never again.

Agreed. One & done for me, it really sucked. It takes practice and the right tools to get it right, and my practice session on a old BMW was a real shitshow. Sealant just everywhere, lots of bad language. Never again.

If had help, and a couple extra tools (suction cups, paddle to cut out old window, electric caulk gun thing they use to apply sealant, etc) it would have went a lot better. I got it done, but it did suck, for days. That sealant is hard to get off skin. Once I found out I wasn't saving any money, I call my guy. He installed my last window while I was out of town, and billed me via text. He takes Paypal, I never even saw him.

If had help, and a couple extra tools (suction cups, paddle to cut out old window, electric caulk gun thing they use to apply sealant, etc) it would have went a lot better. I got it done, but it did suck, for days. That sealant is hard to get off skin. Once I found out I wasn't saving any money, I call my guy. He installed my last window while I was out of town, and billed me via text. He takes Paypal, I never even saw him.

Damn dude, you didn't even have suction cups? I did, I got sealant all over them :LOL: