DJI Mavic Air 2 (drone)

rasband

Dickhead 🍆
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I recently picked up a DJI Mavic Air 2 for trail footage. It’s really great for most uses, however I think I must be missing some settings for two things:

1. Color/Sharpness - I’ll get a short sample uploaded, but the trees look almost fake.
2. Follow mode - it seems to lose the target a lot

anyone else with a drone that has ideas of how to address either or both of these?

Side note: did you register with the FAA?

Yes! For any readers unfamiliar, this specific drone is over the required weight to register with the FAA. Consequently, you have to both mark the drone with the FAA identifier and carry a printout.

The DJI Mavic Mini doesn’t require it (as far as I am aware today), but has different features that may or may not be sufficient for a given usage.

Reactions: Apparition
So here’s my experience with the tracking so far, which may be just bad settings. It can do okay overall, but often the target is either lost entirely (and not picked back up with the intelligent estimation) or the camera can be a bit jumpy (until it’s lost).

So far the above experience is both a pretty tree free area and a forest trail.

While I can edit down the footage a bit, I’m half wanting to find either a good driver or pilot to get the shots I want. I’m not looking to be famous on some site, but I do want to make some good videos

I've been considering the mini since it's a friendlier price point to a first-time droner and is so compact.

hope you get your issues figured out.

get the fly more combo if you buy one

100x this, you'll want the spare batteries and everything included.

The follow mode probably works pretty well in Moab (though I think in any of the NPs they are prohibited), it loses me in trees pretty easily. I need to get my footage from yesterday out (only a short climb before the wind got too extreme and it alerted me that it was at full power and to be cautious so I brought it back in).

Reactions: Apparition
100x this, you'll want the spare batteries and everything included.

The follow mode probably works pretty well in Moab (though I think in any of the NPs they are prohibited), it loses me in trees pretty easily. I need to get my footage from yesterday out (only a short climb before the wind got too extreme and it alerted me that it was at full power and to be cautious so I brought it back in).
At the end of the video I posted mine gave the overheating warning. It was 105 that day. You may run into that, it was hot Friday when I was there.

Yeah don’t fly it in the NP’s although a couple weeks ago I watched someone fly one over old faithful and I didn’t see rangers go on chase.

Most of the trails you should be fine. Any idea which ones you plan to run? Get the badges, they are free.

Most of the trails you should be fine. Any idea which ones you plan to run? Get the badges, they are free.

We are doing an overnight on Elephant Hill, another overnight on White Rim, and want to do at least Top of the World. I'd like to go a little more aggressive with Fins and Things and Hells Revenge, however my buddy I'll be traveling isn't as confident in those. He's got a nicely built 3rd gen 4runner - but also has a long drive back to Michigan.

We are doing an overnight on Elephant Hill, another overnight on White Rim, and want to do at least Top of the World. I'd like to go a little more aggressive with Fins and Things and Hells Revenge, however my buddy I'll be traveling isn't as confident in those. He's got a nicely built 3rd gen 4runner - but also has a long drive back to Michigan.
That should be a great trip.

Definitely do fins and things it’s not hard and if it seems hard you hit the road part way through so you can drive out from there, the first part is fun and IMO it starts getting repetitive with all the fins but if you can, do it all.

Elephant hill is great make sure you have a good camera it’s so scenic. Do the joint hike, I think that’s what it’s called amazing cave.

Be ready for lots of ledges on TOW, the view is worth it but there’s not much on the way up and down.

Haven’t done white rim, take good pics.

Reactions: rasband