DMV failed me for rear axle having zero brakes

RickDel

Couldn't find my answer with search....

Hello, I went to DMV yesterday and they failed me saying I have "NO rear braking". Every time I go through DMV I have issues with the rear brakes registering a reading, but I can normally shift from Drive - Neutral - BRAKE to get them to read, but not this time. We tried three times and the guy said, you have "no rear brakes" and pointed out how my front end was dipping so hard when braking.

I'm not very mechanical, but I changed the brakes about a year ago with the help of a knowledgeable friend.

After failing, I jacked my rear up, spun the rear wheels and applied the brakes, which did stop the wheels.

So, what's the deal here? Can anyone give me some guidance? Thank you.

My Jeep:
2000 Jeep TJ Sport (stock) w/ 100k miles
I think it has a Dana 35 real axle

IMG_6968.JPG

Lets go back a step..I have never heard of this type of testing in my life. Is this a safety check in order to get tags? If so how are the brakes being tested?

So like I said, I'm not very mechanical, but I can follow instructions and have fixed many things on my Jeep through the internet. So, I'll try to describe the test.

In Delaware our DMV does out registration and vehicle safety inspection. For the brake test, you drive about 15mph onto four metal grates and hit the brakes. A machine than calculates the stopping force of each wheel. They said I had NO rear brakes and provided the attached printout. Thanks

So like I said, I'm not very mechanical, but I can follow instructions and have fixed many things on my Jeep through the internet. So, I'll try to describe the test.

In Delaware our DMV does out registration and vehicle safety inspection. For the brake test, you drive about 15mph onto four metal grates and hit the brakes. A machine than calculates the stopping force of each wheel. They said I had NO rear brakes and provided the attached printout. Thanks
I find it odd that there would be zero braking on both rear wheels. I can buy into partial but am having a hard time with zero. My pea brain says 2 things

1-their test equipment is faulty

2-there is either no fluid being supplied to that circuit or both assemblies are WAY out of adjustment.

Have you popped the drums off and done a visual inspection?

Have you popped the drums off and done a visual inspection?
Not yet. I have a friend coming by in a couple days to give me a hand. (in the meantime, I have some evap leaks to try to fix)

I go through hell EVERY YEAR with the back brakes.... They've told me before it's common with Jeeps.

Is there an easy way to check if fluid is being supplied to that circuit? Or can you give me the key words I should research to try to find some instructions online? As to both assemblies out of adjustment... I assume that will be determined when we pull the drums off?? Thanks again.

There is a resident Brake Expert on this forum. Perhaps he will hop over and offer some qualified opinions.
However, he is very busy and may be converting Chris's TJ into a fully amphibious vehicle or something.:LOL:

Reactions: lulzpwndyah
Not yet. I have a friend coming by in a couple days to give me a hand. (in the meantime, I have some evap leaks to try to fix)

I go through hell EVERY YEAR with the back brakes.... They've told me before it's common with Jeeps.

Is there an easy way to check if fluid is being supplied to that circuit? Or can you give me the key words I should research to try to find some instructions online? As to both assemblies out of adjustment... I assume that will be determined when we pull the drums off?? Thanks again.
Assuming you have drums, I'd start with adjusting the shoes. You don't even have to take the wheel off to adjust them (assuming all the hardware is connected). Support the rear axle, remove the rubber plug on the back side of the drum backing plate, & turn the star wheel with a screwdriver until you can hear/feel a slight amount of drag on the wheel when you turn it by hand. If you can't get it adjusted with the star wheel pop the drums off & make sure all the hardware is where it should be.

1620399656582.png

qslim, thanks for that attachment. This is exactly what my friend suggested we do. Looks simple, but I'll probably wait for his assistance since he has prior experience with this. In your opinion, do you think this could cause a zero brake reading at DMV? I'm just skeptical of how they're saying ZERO when I obviously have some braking back there. Thanks

qslim, thanks for that attachment. This is exactly what my friend suggested we do. Looks simple, but I'll probably wait for his assistance since he has prior experience with this. In your opinion, do you think this could cause a zero brake reading at DMV? I'm just skeptical of how they're saying ZERO when I obviously have some braking back there. Thanks
I have no experience with whatever machine they had to test so I can't say for sure. The front brakes on our TJs provide the overwhelming majority of the braking anyway so I suppose it's possible.

When I picked up mine I actually drove it around for about a month with pretty much no rear braking without even knowing it. My parking brake didn't work for shit, so I popped off the rear drums & found a bunch of dangling hardware. My shoes were barely touching the drums. I got it all assembled, adjusted the star wheel so there was a decent drag on the wheel... GTG. The only real difference I felt was a firmer pedal & a parking brake that actually worked, the thing still braked like a TJ :LOL: .

BTW your full factory manual is available for free over in the TJ Resources subforum. Everything you need is in there.

Hey. I know it’s been a few years since your post of tj rear brakes reading zero at Delaware dmv , but I also live in Delaware with a tj, and having the exact same issue . Did u ever get it to pass? What did u do?