Do all Dana 44 axles have limited slip?

D M

CEL free! (again)
Supporting Member
I have a dana 44 in the rear, dana 30 up front on an 01 wrangler sport. Do all dana 44s have a limited slip, or at least do some have them? Also how would I be able to know?

Jack it up spin one tire by hand, if opposite tire spins in same direction it's LS, if spins in opposite direction it's open. this is not 100% as the clutches can wear out and clips break rendering your LS to become open. Fool proof way is to remove the cover and look... Probably time for an oil change anyway?

Reactions: D M and EzPeezy
Jack it up spin one tire by hand, if opposite tire spins in same direction it's LS, if spins in opposite direction it's open. this is not 100% as the clutches can wear out and clips break rendering your LS to become open. Fool proof way is to remove the cover and look... Probably time for an oil change anyway?
Will check when I do a diff oil change at 100k

Jack up rear and spin one wheel by hand. If the other wheel spins in the same direction your diff has the LSD present.

Edit: haha @Hook_62 beat me to it. Left the screen up too long before I clicked post.

Reactions: Hook_62
Was just checking my build sheet (mine is an open Dana 44) to see what it says. It doesn't say anything about the specifics, just "Heavy Duty Dana 44 Rear Axle". But, I also don't see Trac-lock (sp?) mentioned anywhere. I believe that is what it would say for the LSD. My JK has it, but my TJ doesn't., so the JK will be used in the Winter and the TJ will be in the garage (y)

Just to mention, if an LSD has a lot of miles on it, it likely needs a clutch pack refresh. They don't last a lifetime in case anyone was wondering.

If you're worried that the presence of a LSD would mean you need to add the friction modifier additive, don't. It's hard to find a gear lube that does not have the additive since the additive is compatible with axles that do/don't have the LSD. You can confirm the presence of the additive on the back label of the gear lube bottle. If it says something like 'Compatible with limited slip differentials' that confirms it contains an adequate amount of the additive.

And not all rear Dana 44 axles came with the LSD. Some did, some did not.

I have had this same questions as I have the 44 rear as well. My build sheet shows Trac-Lok rear axle, but it is open at 170000+ k, so the clutches probably need to be replaced.
1572031668154.png

Is it worth replacing the clutches or should I just plan on getting locker at some point? I have heard that the 44 LSD is not very good anyway. How much should getting the clutches replaced cost?

I wouldn't bother getting it rebuilt. If you prefer a LS type differential just get a Detroit Truetrac which doesn't ever need to be rebuilt, if you want a full locker, you'll have to decide if you want it locking and unlocking even on the street like a Detroit Locker, or a selectable locker, which of course is more money, but better drivability.

Many prefer a locker in the front, with a selectable in the rear.

How much should getting the clutches replaced cost?
Clutch packs are cheap, like $80. do it yourself.

Is it worth replacing the clutches or should I just plan on getting locker at some point? I have heard that the 44 LSD is not very good anyway.
depends on what you want to do with your TJ. Detroit make a nice upgrade to the LSD called the True-Trac, not overly priced. Serious off road you might want to consider a selectable locker if you still want to go back and forth to work.

How many of those have you personally installed?

I know your not replying to me, but I haven't done any. From your comment I am assuming it is either not all that easy, requires special tools, or since it would be my first I am likely to screw it up and cost myself more than a new locker when I try it?

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I know your not replying to me, but I haven't done any. From your comment I am assuming it is either not all that easy, requires special tools, or since it would be my first I am likely to screw it up and cost myself more than a new locker when I try it?
I've never done it, but it definitely isn't a "unscrew this, remove, replace screw back in" type of repair.

If you're worried that the presence of a LSD would mean you need to add the friction modifier additive, don't. It's hard to find a gear lube that does not have the additive since the additive is compatible with axles that do/don't have the LSD. You can confirm the presence of the additive on the back label of the gear lube bottle. If it says something like 'Compatible with limited slip differentials' that confirms it contains an adequate amount of the additive.

And not all rear Dana 44 axles came with the LSD. Some did, some did not.
I have confirmed I have a limited slip, and I have never taken apart my diff, im at 91k on the clock and going to do a trans and both diffs at 100k, so is that a yes that I do need a friction modifier?

I have confirmed I have a limited slip, and I have never taken apart my diff, im at 91k on the clock and going to do a trans and both diffs at 100k, so is that a yes that I do need a friction modifier?
Yes but by 91k miles the clutch pack for your Tracloc LSD has worn out so it can no longer act as a LSD. So there's really no more need for the friction modifier that is in most gear lubes anyway. The Tracloc's clutch pack is normally worn out by 50k miles or so.

Reactions: gatertamer
How many of those have you personally installed?
I did one when my wife had a Liberty.

I was struggling a bit so I called a mechanic buddy of mine for advice. He said "Wow man, I don't know. They are such a pain in the ass to rebuild, I just replace the carriers with rebuilt ones and call it a day."

I got it done but fully understand that I will just pony up for a rebuilt carrier if I need to replace one again.