Do GMRS antennas need grounding?

kiwi

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Looked it up a bunch but couldn’t find a solid answer. I’ve got a midland mxt275, as well as their longer antenna and cable, and a teraflex taillight mount. The mount is fully powder coated. Does a GMRS need grounding like a Cb? Like will i have to scrap off some powder coating? Or is it fine as is? TIA

Yes, the mount needs to be grounded. Antenna mounting bracket manufacturers only know about bending steel and powder coating it. The powder coating needs to be removed from the points where the ground connections have to be made.

Only no-groundplane antennas don't need to be grounded. Those are like what would be installed onto something like an all wood or all fiberglass boat.

Reactions: DrDmoney and kiwi
Yes, the mount needs to be grounded. Antenna mount manufacturers only know about bending steel and powder coating it.

Only no-groundplane antennas don't need to be grounded. Those are like what would be installed onto something like an all wood or all fiberglass boat.
Thanks. So do i need to ground the antenna to the mount as well as the mount to the body? Some people say only need to ground to the mount not to the body…

Reactions: NOTNSUV
Thanks. So do i need to ground the antenna to the mount as well as the mount to the body? Some people say only need to ground to the mount not to the body…
Mine is grounded to the body, but It's been mentioned to also ground it to the frame as well if applicable.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Can you give more info, like a link or photo, on the antenna mount you're asking about?
The mount:
Screen Shot 2022-02-08 at 6.12.41 PM.png

The Antenna cable:
Screen Shot 2022-02-08 at 6.13.55 PM.png

I can go out and take some photos of actual parts if you'd like but basically just wondering what to do with the grounding/contact points of where the antenna cable mounts to the top of the taillight mount.

Yea that’s the mount i’ve got in my CB. But either way should i put something on the metal that the mount contacts to prevent rust or no?
I don't know how that particular mount works or how it gets grounded. I'd have to see it and look it over first to figure it out, sorry I'm no help.

Reactions: kiwi
The mount:
View attachment 308267
The Antenna cable:
View attachment 308268
I can go out and take some photos of actual parts if you'd like but basically just wondering what to do with the grounding/contact points of where the antenna cable mounts to the top of the taillight mount.
The NMO mount shown grounds to the metal of the bracket which in turn should be grounded to frame or chassis. Should be no need for additional grounding. NMO is all I use for GMRS. One in the roof of my XJ, the other on an 8x8" x 1/4" aluminum plate mounted to my 3rd brake light housing on the TJUR.

PXL_20211002_215826340.MP.jpg

PXL_20211002_215648536.jpg

If you use the tailight mount with NMO just be sure the bracket is screwed to ground, pretty much anywhere. You can check continuity from the bracket to frame ground with a multimeter. That's it, ezpz.
In my case the brake light mount is part of the bumper so ground is solid. The teeth of the NMO will penetrate paint, powder coating, etc.
My antennas are 1/4 wave (6") Laird AB450 I believe.
www.theantennafarm.com

If you use the tailight mount with NMO just be sure the bracket is screwed to ground, pretty much anywhere. You can check continuity from the bracket to frame ground with a multimeter. That's it, ezpz.
Thank u! So just to clarify, do i need to sand down the powder coat on my mount to bare metal to get ground through the NMO mount? Or are the teeth on the mount strong enough to get a ground

Thank u! So just to clarify, do i need to sand down the powder coat on my mount to bare metal to get ground through the NMO mount? Or are the teeth on the mount strong enough to get a ground
I think we walked on each other (radio jargon). Or you caught me mid-edit.:)

In my case the brake light mount is part of the bumper so ground is solid. The teeth of the NMO will penetrate paint, powder coating, etc.
My antennas are 1/4 wave (6") Laird AB450 I believe. These work very well but require a ground plane (minimum 7" diameter), hence the roof mount on the XJ and the aluminum plate on the LJ.
www.theantennafarm.com

Thanks. How should i go about protecting the bare metal from rust once i scrape it for ground?
Redneck silly-putty maybe, but this stuff works well for me, has lasted 3 years on my NMO connector on my SxS, is super easy to apply, just roll it up and press it on. Duct Seal, aka Bear Shit. I would guess most hardware, electric supply houses would have it.
I don't have bare metal but seals the NMO connection.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TEB2QAS/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: InOmaha
I just installed the same mount and antenna type tonight. I had to drill out a bigger hole which removed the powder coating. But if it doesn't ground, I'll add a grounding strap to the inside and tie it to the cable. That way the ground is inside the vehicle and rust issues go way down. I'd only need to put silicone chalk around the bottom outside after installation.

I live in a salt area with 50 inches of rain a year, so I will seal the top and sides while letting the bottom drain to keep moisture out of all the bolt holes.

• Haha
The mount:
View attachment 308267
The Antenna cable:
View attachment 308268
I used this antenna cable and I dont have anything grounded, at least not intentionally. It works great. The mount I used is one I bent of of bare aluminum though.

Reactions: pagrey