Do I need a relay?

MikekiM

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Working on aux light to the rear cargo area. I have a Bestop Instatrunk installed as well as the Bestop High Rock 4x4 Cargo basket. InstaTrunk stays installed full time but the basket gets installed only when I need it (five minute job with two half inch wrenches). I have four LED surface mount pods that are marketed as rock lights. Two will go under the lid of the InstaTrunk and two will mount on the front underside of the cargo basket aimed down and illuminating the tailgate table.

Plan is to run 12v constant power to the trunk. Split the power lead to two LED pods inside the InstaTrunk and two LED pods mounted to the bottom of the cargo basket. Trigger the power using a pin switch mounted in the tailgate with switched ground. Lights inside the InstaTrunk will be permanent. Lights on the cargo basket are mounted permanently but have an SAE quick disconnect.

Open the gate and the pin switch completes ground and illuminates both sets of lights, unless the basket is not installed in which case just the trunk lights will illuminate. I have a waterproof dust cover for the SAE quick disconnect for when the basket isn’t installed.

Question is, do I need a relay considering the low draw of the four LED lights? If so, how do I wire it?

No relay necessary. Fuse protect the line and make sure the components like pin switches are adequate.
How many amps are the pods?

No relay necessary. Fuse protect the line and make sure the components like pin switches are adequate.
How many amps are the pods?

I have to check the boxes. The details listed on the site where I purchased them don’t list the draw. Four LEDs can’t draw that much.

I am installing a Painless Performance CurKit Boss and feeding power through that so it’s fused.

I have to check the boxes. The details listed on the site where I purchased them don’t list the draw. Four LEDs can’t draw that much.

I am installing a Painless Performance CurKit Boss and feeding power through that so it’s fused.

You'll be fine. I was just curious on the amperage.