Do I need extended rear brake lines?

Midtenn

TJ Addict
Working through my SSYE install and was tilting the pinion in order to get the measurements for the driveshaft. While tilting, I observed my brake line hose getting taut. I’m thinking of replacing it with an extended version but wanted to see if that was necessary and if so, what model is suggested?

B0F4B4B0-6229-4B8F-9452-3DD831D28860.jpeg

I only have one hose on my Jeep. It goes to a "T" on the rear axle with hardlines going to each wheel. It is an 03. Are other models different?

That rear brake line clears on my 4" lift even at full droop. It follows the same arc as the upper control arm, I'd think the only way for it to rip put is for the axle to move rearward. I put some insulation around it, zip tied it to the control arm, cycled the suspension with everything connected & it looked GTG.

Edit: on second thought looking at your photo again that looks shorter than mine. I have enough slack to secure it to the control arm in two places.

Reactions: IrishWake
There’s about 1” of deflection in my line. It won’t even tough the LCA. I don’t know how much the axle travels in normal operations.

As an aside I’m curious how long your driveshaft ended up being?

Yes, is that not what the OP is looking for? Sorry

I’m looking at the rear. The hose coming off the frame and connected to the axle is very taught very little deflection after rotating the axle back to get the pinion angle up.

If that's at full droop, you'll be fine on the rear. You might check your front. The lines I linked you to are YJ lines that are longer and common replacement for the front.

You shouldn't need extended brake lines for the rear, only the front. I've had up to 5.5" of suspension lift and currently running 4" with stock length rear brake lines. The rear brake line follows the chassis to the driver's side upper control arm to the axle so it just swings through the same radius arc whether it's lifted or stock.

Reactions: D M
If that's at full droop, you'll be fine on the rear. You might check your front. The lines I linked you to are YJ lines that are longer and common replacement for the front.
That is at ride height with all 4 tires in the ground.

You shouldn't need extended brake lines for the rear, only the front. I've had up to 5.5" of suspension lift and currently running 4" with stock length rear brake lines. The rear brake line follows the chassis to the driver's side upper control arm to the axle so it just swings through the same radius arc whether it's lifted or stock.

I see. I just saw that it started to straighten as I angled the pinion up and wanted to be sure.

Reactions: D M
Working through my SSYE install and was tilting the pinion in order to get the measurements for the driveshaft. While tilting, I observed my brake line hose getting taut. I’m thinking of replacing it with an extended version but wanted to see if that was necessary and if so, what model is suggested?

View attachment 237031
I would take another look at this line. Looks like it’s been rubbing something, or is it just dirt?

There’s about 1” of deflection in my line. It won’t even tough the LCA. I don’t know how much the axle travels in normal operations.

As an aside I’m curious how long your driveshaft ended up being?
Tom Woods made me a shaft just short of 16". I think it was like 15 7/8, 15 15/16, something like that.