Do I need to do something about this rust?

Happy to have the exact opposite problem. Every component leaking every type of fluid. Probably cheaper and easier to fix in the long run....

Not always a bad problem to have. I remember about 6 or 7 years ago I was in a pinch and needed a car asap as my girlfriend's Saturn blew a motor and my Subaru blew a turbo a week apart. I bought an old 2002 Subaru with 514,000 miles on it, from my boss for a couple hundred dollars, that had been sitting for a year or two. The head gaskets had been leaking for quite some time so the undercarriage had a nice coating of oil, but was rust free which is unheard of around here. It's got 585,000 miles on it now and still looks great underneath!

Not always a bad problem to have. I remember about 6 or 7 years ago I was in a pinch and needed a car asap as my girlfriend's Saturn blew a motor and my Subaru blew a turbo a week apart. I bought an old 2002 Subaru with 514,000 miles on it, from my boss for a couple hundred dollars, that had been sitting for a year or two. The head gaskets had been leaking for quite some time so the undercarriage had a nice coating of oil, but was rust free which is unheard of around here. It's got 585,000 miles on it now and still looks great underneath!
WOW, glad I have an outback as my DD now!

WOW, glad I have an outback as my DD now!

My girlfriend still DDs the 2002, trying to work on a million miles. My DD is a 2000 outback, not as impressive as it only has 320,000 miles on it. But its a manual trans which was rare that year, lifted about 3 inches and has cooper at3 tires so it doubles as toy. Just pulled a WRX 2.0t to drop in it which means I'm torn between that and my jeep as to which gets worked on in my spare time 🤣