Do I need to have CB radio power isolated, or can it be shared?

Twopoint

TJ Pupil ... and all it entails...
Lifetime Supporting Member
I am planning out my power needs for my CB and stereo Amplifier. I was going to run it from the battery through a bulkhead connection to a power distribution block. but in my research there was a question of introducing noise into the CB.
My question is... can power be shared? or do I need to have the CB power isolated?

Ideally you want nothing else on that circuit.

Depending on the unit. It might have a noise filter built into it.

But it is not uncommon for a CB to run fine using the same power wire as the radio.

Reactions: Twopoint
I used an add a circuit to run mine through where the fuse would have been for the rear wiper on my jeep. I run it that way because it was quick and easy plus the it is only powered while the car is on so I don't have to worry about accidentally leaving it on. There are some downsides like some minor added noise to the CB and sometimes having the car on to run it, but it was a quick and easy set up.

Basic 101 2-Way Radio Installation says 2-way radios need to have clean power. That way you don't hear static, whining, etc. and such noises don't go out on your transmitted signal so those hearing you hear a nice clean signal.

The best location I've found on a TJ to power a CB or ham radio from is the 12 volt power input lug at the rear of the power distribution center, under that little black plastic cover that unsnaps to reveal the lug and its nut. Crimp a round solderless connector onto your CB or ham radio's + side power lead and place it under the power input lug nut. That lug is connected directly to the battery so the power there will be very clean and noise-free

This is what it looks like on a TJ.... it's between the battery and power distribution center. One of those red leads powers my CB and 2m ham radio, the other powers a fuse panel I installed in the engine compartment.

Power-Distribution-Center-Power-Lug.jpg

Ok, will fess up here. Yes I am a real ham radio operator of 50 and 100 watt output radios in vehicles for many years. Direct to the battery is always best with a fuse just off the battery terminal, or as Jerry suggested to the power block, which is almost the same thing.

My contacts to Australia off my cigar lighter plugged mobile in a friends vehicle with a mag mount HF antenna still count also, ya know.

My advice is a a tap off of a direct lead to the battery will work best. Further downstream may get interference from other devices in your vehicle on receive. Not eveything in your vehicle is solid 12v dc, lots of computer higher frequency stuff getting into your radio power, and some cases into the case itself. Most likely any transmit interferrence will be off your alternator and need a capacitor. Look for an igniton "condensor" to install directly on the back of your alternator to fix that. I had a GM truck that the "whine" pulsing DC off the alternator got into my radio transmit. A "condencer" (capacitor) from an older Briggs and Stratton lawn mower attached to the 12V output of the alternator under one of the housing bolts resolved that. RF is strange stuff.

Sometimes overthinking can delay the project that could have been completed after trial and error. (as in this case, see what happens, move the power source around to achieve what you need). Another way of saying that is at some point in any project, it becomes time to fire the engineers and start production. If things do not work out as planned, adjust in the field.

Post back of your success or if you need additional help. We all have something inside to want to know what works or opinions of what does not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Twopoint
OK, I am still in the engineering phase of my radio install! Can I alternate between a CB and 2M antenna on the same antenna mount as needed? I also do not know if the can share the same mounting system.

I want to install a General Lee HP and a 2 meter multi band digital radio.

Thanks!

I put a fuse tap there behind the glovebox also.

Contemplated going thru the firewall on the battery side....damn near impossible with the HVAC in the way. If I went thru the passenger side grommet, I'd have to run the wires all the way across the firewall back to the battery.

I do have some interference if you turn the squelch all the way down or the 'noise reduction" switch off on the CB.

Reactions: Igoo65
I used one of those splitter fuses that plugs into the fuse panel behind the glovebox and I don't have any interference.
Igoo65

I used one of those splitter fuses that plugs into the fuse panel behind the glovebox and I don't have any interference.
Igoo65
Do you recall which fuse # you tapped? (I don't w/o looking!) But I believe it was the cigarette lighter.
Maybe I can try another fuse # to eliminate the interference?

OK, I am still in the engineering phase of my radio install! Can I alternate between a CB and 2M antenna on the same antenna mount as needed? I also do not know if the can share the same mounting system.

I want to install a General Lee HP and a 2 meter multi band digital radio.

Thanks!
2 meter and 11 meter, CB, are two way different wave lengths. I wouldn’t recommend using sameantenna

I have a tail light mount with a fire stick connector and spring. I switch antenna stubs and radios that have the same 12v connector between 2m and CB at times. Works well one at a time. So far I have not seen the need to two antenna mounts.