Do I need to replace oil pan gasket when removing timing chain cover?

AussieNick

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I am replacing the timing chain on my 98 4.0 with 180,000 miles. All the engine noise is coming from the timing chain and speeds up with the engine.

the oil pan gasket looks like a pretty new 1 piece unit and doesn’t leak a drop.

if I just remove the timing chain cover will I be able to reuse the oil pan to timing chain gasket assuming it doesn’t get destroyed or should I just be planning 100% to remove the oil pan and replace the whole gasket?

The last time I changed my timing chain in place I found a good undamaged oil pan gasket and was able to clean everything up and re-use it without removing the pan. I just added a light bead of RTV under the gasket. Additionally there was a small section of gasket included with the timing chain kit so you could cut out the old section under the harmonic balancer.

Be careful not to over tighten the bolts when you install them thru the oil pan into the bottom of the timing cover, they can be easy to strip.

Reactions: AussieNick
Follow up question, probably a stupid question. If I am leaving the oil pan on does that mean I don’t have to drain the oil?