Do I trade up to a LJ Rubicon?

jeepmikey

Supporting Member
For those of you that don't know me - I have an 06 Rubicon that just hit 69K miles. Solar yellow, 6 speed that was originally a 1 owner from New Mexico. It's one of the cleanest TJs I've ever seen. The frame, tub, floors, everything is rust free with not a spec of rust anywhere. I was going to keep this one forever given the condition as a weekend car for the kids.

Long story short - there's a super clean LJ Rubicon with low mileage. I really, really like the LJRs but curious if it makes sense to trade up or just keep the current TJ. Would be a no brainer but the LJR is tan interior vs. black and not solar yellow which is making this harder.

Current rig below. I have new Fox shocks, Quadratec leveling kit, 265/75/16 tires and more supposed to go on soon.

IMG_5298.jpg

Do you absolutely need or want the longer wheelbase? I personally prefer the shorter more maneuverable wheelbase.

I like the idea of having room to throw a cooler in the back vs. the space trunk has now, and I do think the longer wheelbase does look badass with a 2 inch lift and 33s. More than a TJ but that's just me.

Again, having dilemma as I just posted photos of how clean the TJR I currently have is.

Keep both!

I have 3 jeeps, a 74CJ, 94XJ and 04 TJR. Best thing about it is that I can take my time when work needs to be done to one of them. (Which is basically always)

I tell my wife when she complains that all three of my je err ps cost less than her car and I don't have any payments either.

Whatever you do, prep either one of them very well to handle those New York winters if you plan on keeping them that clean 😎👍🏼

Keep both!

I have 3 jeeps, a 74CJ, 94XJ and 04 TJR. Best thing about it is that I can take my time when work needs to be done to one of them. (Which is basically always)

I tell my wife when she complains that all three of my je err ps cost less than her car and I don't have any payments either.

I've been trying to do the math to maybe buy the LJR and keep the TJR. They're just so close in what they are - IE if it were a CJ etc I'd have multiples but not sure it's worth carrying an LJR and TJR when I'll end up doing the same things to both.

Reactions: Rubisohoe
I've been trying to do the math to maybe buy the LJR and keep the TJR. They're just so close in what they are - IE if it were a CJ etc I'd have multiples but not sure it's worth carrying an LJR and TJR when I'll end up doing the same things to both.

If financially possible, buy the LJ and keep the TJ. If you change your mind about it you can sell either one to recoup your money.

Reactions: jazngab
If financially possible, buy the LJ and keep the TJ. If you change your mind about it you can sell either one to recoup your money.
Been thinking about that - reality is I don't want to keep both and have a buyer for the TJR now at good money if I want to sell it.

That’s the direction I’m going. The LJR will have a cost to ship, register / tax and about $2K more than what id get for the TJR. Not sure it’s worth $5-6K and the headache plus roll of the dice for longer wheelbase.

I’d keep the TJ, you know the story and maintenance. It’s hard to say that about any other 14+ year old vehicle.

Reactions: rasband
Many of us have made the mistake of getting rid of something we regret later. The condition of your TJ is getting incredibly hard to find. When you do find one like yours, they are pricey. As much as I like the LJ, keep the TJ and don't settle. If you do get rid of it, I'm betting you'll be second guessing the decision for a long time!

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Many of us have made the mistake of getting rid of something we regret later. The condition of your TJ is getting incredibly hard to find. When you do find one like yours, they are pricey. As much as I like the LJ, keep the TJ and don't settle. If you do get rid of it, I'm betting you'll be second guessing the decision for a long time!

yup. PS this is my 4th TJ because I’ve regretted selling each one. I think best thing to do is maintain this one, finish a few minor touches and just enjoy it.

Reactions: Zorba and Irun