Do I understand thick gears correctly?

Ole Rusty

Shadetree Mechanic
Lifetime Supporting Member
So last winter I discovered the spider gears in the rear Dana 44 Traclock are chewed up pretty good. Got some good advice on what it takes to rebuild the Traclock. That thread is here is you wanna see the pics or background.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/spider-gear-replacement-in-trac-lok.67137/

At that time I Just cleaned out the housing, put some fresh grease in and rolled on. Been putting some money aside to get it fixed and want to make sure I'm thinking thru this correct. Long term I'd like to regear for 33" tires but not quite ready to dump that much cash into right now. if I just replace the carrier for now with whatever I decide on (debating an e-locker vs truetrac since I don't think the trackloc is worth rebuilding) can I buy the 3.73 and down carrier (3.73 is the current gearing) and then buy thick gears later on when I get to the regear point? I've read other posts that make me think that's the point of the thick gear option so that you don't need to replace a carrier. Want to avoid buying a 3.73 and down carrier now and then buying another down the road when I regear.

Reactions: TimV