Do TJs have a clear flood mode?

Steel City 06

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
I recently learned on some cars if you completely floor the gas pedal and then start it, the fuel injectors don't add any fuel and the engine just cranks. It's traditionally used to clear a flooded engine, though it can also be used for diagnostics (if you need to turn it over without starting).

Do TJs have this feature? Or am I going to start it at 5000 RPM?

I thought you couldn’t flood an engine that was fuel injected. Is that wrong?

This does not seem like a difficult thing to test. I suspect our Jeeps don't have the feature. Next time I do a hot start I'll test and report back if nobody else has. I'm sure you could flood the Jeep somehow, maybe a leaking injector or something?

Our engines have enough safeguards where flooding won't happen. It's a non-issue that used to be a common problem with carburetors. If flooding was a problem for even older technology FI systems I'm not aware of it.

Clear flood mode is often installed on a lot of fuel injected cars.

Google only brings up one claim that TJs (at least 2005) have clear flood mode, and it didn't seem confirmed.

An alternate to pulling the fuel pump relay would be to put the gas pedal to the floor while cranking as this is a clear flood mode or at least it is on my 2005-you can try it and verify on yours.

Here is a very basic description of clear flood mode:
https://www.ericthecarguy.com/a-flooded-engine/

I'm thinking it might be useful for when you're working on it and just need to turn it over.

Alternatively, perhaps it could be used in 4Low and 1st to move the vehicle a very small distance.

I'm not expecting a flooded engine, just curious if the TJs have this feature.

Reactions: pagrey
Below is from the 2004 TJ operator manual, this might be what is being eluded to as far as a "Clear Flood Mode" it does not seem to turn off the injectors like many newer vehicles do. It is really the same procedure to clear an engine with a carburetor (for those of us who remember), which explains the second paragraph.

I do know that my 2013 Mustang GT, 2014 Mustang GT500, 2018 F150 (sold), 2019 F150, 2020 Expedition and 2016 JK do shut off the fuel if the accelerator is held to the floor while starting, but my 88 Bronco does not.

If Engine Fails to Start
If the engine fails to start after you have followed the
“Normal Starting” or “Extreme Cold Weather” procedures,
it may be flooded. Push the accelerator pedal all
the way to the floor and hold it there while cranking the
engine. This should clear any excess fuel in case the
engine is flooded.
If the engine has been flooded, it may start to run, but not
have enough power to continue running when the key is
released. If this occurs, continue cranking with the accelerator
pedal pushed all the way to the floor. Release the
accelerator pedal and the key once the engine is running
smoothly.

Reactions: Steel City 06
If flooding was a problem for even older technology FI systems I'm not aware of it.

The older "batch fired fuel injected" cars/trucks used to flood real easy (at least the Fords and GMs) when they had fuel related electrical problems back in the early 80's but I do not remember any of them having any type of "Clear Flood Mode" like the modern ones do now.

I thought you couldn’t flood an engine that was fuel injected. Is that wrong?

Yes, that is wrong.

If you treat your fuel-injected engine as if it were an out-of-tune carbureted engine by repeatedly pumping the gas pedal while starting, you can flood it.

Reactions: Chris