Do you need a wheel spacer to put JK wheels on a TJ?

Yea I run the Spider adapters and have gone with brand new jk rubicon take offs for years with no issues! By far the cheapest new set of 5 tires and wheels you will ever get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may need 1.5" or larger to avoid tire rub. I put 2" spacers on mine and no rub. I think you might be fine with 1.5" or 1.75".

Curious, Do I need a lift too? A slippery slope, I know.

No. Not at all.

One of the top rated lifts around here though. IS the OME 2" with either light duty or heavy duty coils. And Rancho 5000x shocks. That would give you a bit more clearance for larger tires. But not necessary with stock JK rims and tires.

There's a thread around her recently with pics of Jeeps with 2" spacers. And several other threads with Jeeps with spacers of different sizes.

If you go with JK rims and tires just make sure your tires aren't going to rub with the size spacer you chose. It decreases your turning radius. And is generally a pain in the ass. When your trying to make a tight turn.

I'm not sure you need 2" spacers. I just went that way to be completely sure that I didn't rub. 1.5" are probably fine. Maybe even 1.25". But I've not read anyone using 1.25" and not rubbing. None that said they rubbed. Just nobody to comment on that particular size.

Last edited:
Reactions: TomT509
I did the JK stock take offs budget lift on my 97 Sport I really liked it bought the brand new shocks and springs with for an additional $70 bucks from the guy I bought the wheels and tires from. It went on easy and rode great can’t speak for the longevity of it though as a lady pulled across the hwy right in front of me 2 months after the instal and totaled my 97.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Blondie70
Yes, you need a wheel spacer / adapter to put JK wheels on a TJ.

These are the adapters I used to put JK wheels on my TJ:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IVKIZW0/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Yes, you need a wheel spacer / adapter to put JK wheels on a TJ.

These are the adapters I used to put JK wheels on my TJ:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IVKIZW0/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Chris,

I used these exact same spacers and for some reason they will not fit my 2003 TJ. Will not fit over the hub. Why would that be? Thanks

Chris,

I used these exact same spacers and for some reason they will not fit my 2003 TJ. Will not fit over the hub. Why would that be? Thanks

I can’t say for certain. I suppose it’s possible that you have some sort of aftermarket hub or those specific adapters have changed. Are your axles factory? Do you have a picture of your hubs?

I can’t say for certain. I suppose it’s possible that you have some sort of aftermarket hub or those specific adapters have changed. Are your axles factory? Do you have a picture of your hubs?

IMG_2899.jpeg

IMG_2900.jpeg

I don’t believe it’s the rust. I laid the spacer into the aftermarket wheels and there is a difference between the wheel hub and the spacer if that makes since. You can fill it with your finger.

I don’t believe it’s the rust. I laid the spacer into the aftermarket wheels and there is a difference between the wheel hub and the spacer if that makes since. You can fill it with your finger.

You can see where the hub is hitting the back of the spacer. I’m at a loss. Thought this was going to be an easy swap. I really appreciate your help.

IMG_2901.jpeg

You can see where the hub is hitting the back of the spacer. I’m at a loss. Thought this was going to be an easy swap. I really appreciate your help.

View attachment 454490

I seem to recall a similar issue. I know this sucks but you should contact the seller.

I would find another seller with good reviews. Get them overnighted. And send these back. Should be possible with Prime.

Or maybe they sent you the wrong ones?

Running JK Moab wheels. Bought 5 wheels with adapters with about 10,000 miles tread left for less than one new 255/80/17 tire. Bolted up with no problems and run smooth without the balance issues the stock wheels/tires had.

There are adapters that have 2.75" plus center hole that may solve the too large hub problem that ChilliD has. They aren't hub centered but bolt centered if that makes a difference. Unfortunately it looks like the hub is larger than 2.8" hole that seems to be standard for jeep wheels plus the reduced flange at the outside edge of the center which is the problem for Locking Hubs. Requires machining off the flange with a 2 3/4" hole saw to use with Warn/Yukon Locking Hub.

The 265/70/17 rub at full lock. Will add a washer or two for temporary fix. New tires will be 255/80/17 about a 1/2" narrower than the 265/70 which hopefully will end the rubbing and taking off the washers and return to the original turning articulation.

Reactions: PalmettoStateBob
I seem to recall a similar issue. I know this sucks but you should contact the seller.

I would find another seller with good reviews. Get them overnighted. And send these back. Should be possible with Prime.

Or maybe they sent you the
Running JK Moab wheels. Bought 5 wheels with adapters with about 10,000 miles tread left for less than one new 255/80/17 tire. Bolted up with no problems and run smooth without the balance issues the stock wheels/tires had.

There are adapters that have 2.75" plus center hole that may solve the too large hub problem that ChilliD has. They aren't hub centered but bolt centered if that makes a difference. Unfortunately it looks like the hub is larger than 2.8" hole that seems to be standard for jeep wheels plus the reduced flange at the outside edge of the center which is the problem for Locking Hubs. Requires machining off the flange with a 2 3/4" hole saw to use with Warn/Yukon Locking Hub.

The 265/70/17 rub at full lock. Will add a washer or two for temporary fix. New tires will be 255/80/17 about a 1/2" narrower than the 265/70 which hopefully will end the rubbing and taking off the washers and return to the original turning articulation.

Thank you Rover. I confirmed at autozone this morning that the spacers I ordered were for a regular TJ hub. My hub is about an 1/8” bigger. Haven’t measured exactly just guessing. Do you have an idea on where to find these bigger spacers?