Dobinsons 3 inch lift

Hammer24

TJ Enthusiast
Is anyone running or heard anything about the Dobinsons 3 inch lift? I'm wanting to run about 3 inches of lift and was originally going to go with Rancho shocks and probably currie 3 inch springs, however I can get the whole Dobinsons 3 inch kit locally for a pretty good price so that has also caught my attention. My biggest concern is that it will ride too stiff as I know Dobinsons usually cater to heavier 4x4's like landcruisers.

https://www.superiorengineering.com.au/dobinson-3-lift-kit-jeep-wrangler-tj-15859

They're an Australian company who generally cater more to full sized rigs like landcruisers and patrols, but they're a respected product over here and I'd say probably comparable to OME.

I was about to say, the shocks almost look like OME (Monroe) shocks.

I think they're also made by Monroe, don't quote me on that though

I wouldn't be surprised if they are. There's only a handful of factories in the world that have the tooling to produce shocks and suspension, so I'd almost bet on it.

Reactions: Rick Flair
Run their stuff on my Runner, very happy with it. Company has been around a very long time, not familiar with their Jeep stuff but they don’t produce junk.

I know I had three different choices of spring rate like OME offers. I know many complain about the valving of the OME shocks being stiff for our light Jeeps, not an issue for heavy cruisers, patrols or my runner which is about 5500 pounds.....

40k miles with no regrets. Over here our contact is Mike with dobinsonsusa, I’m sure you get answers there.

Reactions: Jamesval035
Shoot them a quick Email and ask about the shocks and spring rates. Truthfully I've never heard of them, but a lot of Australia and South Africa companies are starting to come onto our (USA) shores. And are introducing many new ideas and parts to us. I'd love to have more come here. Many american companies are losing interest in the TJ nowadays.

Got some info on the shocks, if anyone can make anything of these please translate it into laymans terms for me lol

"Please find quote attached for front and rear 3 inch lift to suit a TJ Jeep Wrangler.
C29-048 front coils = 16mm wire / free length 500RH -490LH / rate 196Lbs/I
C29-049 rear coils = 17mm wire / free length 355RH - 350LH / Rate = 240Lbs/I
Shocks are rated same compression as our 2 inch shocks but slightly firmer in rebound control."

They also said compression and rebound info on their shocks is something they do not give out unless it is to an engineer requiring that info for GVM upgrades, which seems very weird imo

Got some info on the shocks, if anyone can make anything of these please translate it into laymans terms for me lol

"Please find quote attached for front and rear 3 inch lift to suit a TJ Jeep Wrangler.
C29-048 front coils = 16mm wire / free length 500RH -490LH / rate 196Lbs/I
C29-049 rear coils = 17mm wire / free length 355RH - 350LH / Rate = 240Lbs/I
Shocks are rated same compression as our 2 inch shocks but slightly firmer in rebound control."

They also said compression and rebound info on their shocks is something they do not give out unless it is to an engineer requiring that info for GVM upgrades, which seems very weird imo

Pretty simple, 196 lbs for the front and 240 lbs for the rear. Compare that to OME or other brands to get a feel for if the springs will work for you.

Some info is protected for sure, not sure you could get that info on shocks from Rancho or many others...some companies won’t give out the weight ratings you got here from Dobinsons. They get a little protective cause as mentioned above, they want to sell you their shock, not have you source it from elsewhere. Just a few thoughts on it.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are. There's only a handful of factories in the world that have the tooling to produce shocks and suspension, so I'd almost bet on it.

I will say I know for a fact that Dobinsons do make their own springs. That is in house. The shocks I don’t know. I run their extended travel shocks which might be just made to their spec, I know it’s not a cross over shock from something else.

Reactions: Chris
Pretty simple, 196 lbs for the front and 240 lbs for the rear. Compare that to OME or other brands to get a feel for if the springs will work for you.

Some info is protected for sure, not sure you could get that info on shocks from Rancho or many others...some companies won’t give out the weight ratings you got here from Dobinsons. They get a little protective cause as mentioned above, they want to sell you their shock, not have you source it from elsewhere. Just a few thoughts on it.
Does that mean they support 196lbs/240lbs of additional weight of accessories etc,? Do you know where I can find the same figures to compare to OME?

Does that mean they support 196lbs/240lbs of additional weight of accessories etc,? Do you know where I can find the same figures to compare to OME?

No sir, those are the rates the springs are. Let me look to see if I can find OME spring rates for you.

Found this info, compare OME to factory spring rates.

OME #.......... Spring Rate lbf/in........OE Spring rate Lbs OME930.............162...........................140 OME931.............140............................140 OME932.............140............................140 OME933..............140............................140 OME934..............160............................140 OME949..............216............................160

Found this info, compare OME to factory spring rates.

OME #.......... Spring Rate lbf/in........OE Spring rate Lbs OME930.............162...........................140 OME931.............140............................140 OME932.............140............................140 OME933..............140............................140 OME934..............160............................140 OME949..............216............................160
Thanks a tonne mate, so they'll be quite a decent bit stiffer than the both the OEM and OME springs? Would you think thats too stiff?

Thanks a tonne mate, so they'll be quite a decent bit stiffer than the both the OEM and OME springs? Would you think thats too stiff?

No worries!! I think it depends on if you have a heavy front bumper/winch, armor, tire carrier.

Give Dobinsons a call and see if they will walk you through to the right springs. Here in the US, Mike did exactly that for me. They worked out perfect. Good luck!!!