Does $1400 seem like a good price for a complete gear change?

89grand

TJ Addict
Including the gears and bearings and of course labor? I seems reasonable to me, but you guys tell me. Now I want to add front and rear Detroit TT's, so that's another $1k, but still $1400 sounds decent.

Yes, including the gears, labor, and everything, that's a fantastic price!

Usually shops will charge around $1200 just for the labor, not including parts (gears)!

Reactions: skrelnik
Yep, that’s reasonable. I paid $950 for regear, $450 for the gears and master install kits. $850 for e-locker and $100 for install and $400 for PowerTrax no slip.

Including the gears and bearings and of course labor? I seems reasonable to me, but you guys tell me. Now I want to add front and rear Detroit TT's, so that's another $1k, but still $1400 sounds decent.
I have to know. Who gave you this price?

Funny they don’t mention warranty. I’d be skeptical of any shop advertising on Craigslist. Any good shop that I know doesn’t advertise on Craigslist. Neither would a good mechanic that does work privately. They won’t need to if they’re any good.

Funny they don’t mention warranty. I’d be skeptical of any shop advertising on Craigslist. Any good shop that I know doesn’t advertise on Craigslist. Neither would a good mechanic that does work privately. They won’t need to if they’re any good.

Yeah, if I go this route, I won't just blindly do it. I checked into them just a little today, and found no negative reviews, but I'll want to know more before dropping the Jeep off.

Yep, that’s reasonable. I paid $950 for regear, $450 for the gears and master install kits. $850 for e-locker and $100 for install and $400 for PowerTrax no slip.

Last few had me over 6 hours of setup. I make $45 an hour...so I do the math and now I don’t have access to the lift and tools to the gears, I’m going to pay to have it done. I love doing my own work...but sometimes it pays to find a good shop.

Read your post wrong the first reply. $950 labor is about right.

Reactions: skrelnik
I came across this, while looking on craigslist for any decent TJ parts I might want.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/ptd/d/jeep-jk-wrangler-gear-ratio-changes/6845443461.html

I just had a rear end built for me at LetzRoll in Mesa. I had them build me a Ford 8.8, including welding on all of the TJ garb, regear it to 4:56 gears, and install a Eaton E-locker. I am not the kind of guy that takes his Jeep to the shop, and I was really worried about it, but I highly recommend these guys, in fact I am sending a friend with a YJ there to get a rear Ford 8.8 put into his YJ, and he is getting new 4:56 front, and rear also with some sort of lockers.

They did an excellent job on my Jeep. I usually do my own work including gear ratio changes, but I don't weld so I needed them to build my diff and since they were there I had them build the gears and locker, so all I had to do is install it with little down time.

We had an issue and they took care of it professionally. I will tell you what happened, but It didn't have anything to do with their work. and they took care of it professionally. I will tell you, and you can decide what you think, but I am completely happy, and like I said I usually do my own work so it takes a lot to impress me.

I think it is worth calling them and at least hearing them out. I bet they will give you the same quote or beat it, and if they don't they will probably match it. The owner is Andrew.

So here's the deal.
I ordered a Ford 8.8 from them. They were going to acquire it, do all of the welding of all of the brackets and perches. They were going to put in Yukon 4:56 gears with and Eaton Elocker. It took them a couple weeks to get it all done, and I came and picked it up. I installed it and wired up the locker. It worked great I was driving it around for a month then I ordered the front gears 4:56 gears and an eaton elocker for the front. I ordered the gears from Allen's Offroad. (Shout out to @AOR) They came with no issues, and I took the next weekend to install the front gear and locker. Once I was finished, I went on a test drive and I put it in 4hi, and it immediately popped out of gear. I tried it again and it popped out again. then stupidly I put it in 4lo and it violently popped out of 4 wheel drive, so I put it back into 2wd again and it was fine, so I drove it back into the shop and jacked it up, and did the driveline to wheel check and sure enough the rear spun almost 5 revolutions and the front about 4.5. So the next morning I called Andrew expecting to argue, and at first he didn't believe me when I told him he put in the wrong gears. He told me to pull the cover which it was time to change the fluid anyway, and count the teeth. So I did and sure enough 4:88 gears in the rear and I just installed 4:56 in the front.

I slept on it and called him back the next day, and he was really receptive. He apologized and said that it had to be boxed wrong. He said there is no way this is his fault, but he said bring it back in and he will put 4:56's in it.

Here is where the cool is! I asked him since I have been driving around with 4:88's already and was loving it, if he would Just replace my fronts with 4:88's to match, and he did it! He changed out my front diff to match the rear.

Since then I have broke them both in and changed the fluids, and the pattern is right on, and I am really impressed.

So that is the good and bad of it, so you can take it for what its worth, but I suggest giving them a call. It is an actual aftermarket Jeep shop. They do everything. They make bad ass Jeep buggies. They fabricate. I can't really say enough about them. If I was 30 years younger I would probably work for them.

Sorry for the long winded way to say you should give them a call, but I don't think you will be disappointed, and I think they really hooked me up giving me the option to go up to 4:88 rather then requiring me to go back down to 4:56 under warranty. Now they are kind of on the hook for both diffs now. I have not had one lick of problems with them. Seriously no leaks or anything.

Ok I will stop talking now.

I've never dealt with them, but I've definitely heard of them. They seem pretty well regarded locally in the Jeep community. I'll talk to them about my plans as well before pulling the trigger. Thanks for the input.

Reactions: ac_
So, i just paid $1800 for mine.

I provided gears, install kits, lockers, rear axle shafts, and bearings.

Shop purchased, new u-joints (for drivelines, and front axle shafts), front and rear brakes, fluids, air locker lines/sylenoid. All new seals were put in and all work was warrantied.

I can PM you my invoice if you'd like.

Well worth all the money IMO.

So, i just paid $1800 for mine.

I provided gears, install kits, lockers, rear axle shafts, and bearings.

Shop purchased, new u-joints (for drivelines, and front axle shafts), front and rear brakes, fluids, air locker lines/sylenoid. All new seals were put in and all work was warrantied.

I can PM you my invoice if you'd like.

Well worth all the money IMO.
I vote post it here so we can all use this thread to know if we are getting ripped off, maybe others will do the same and we can use this thread to shop around when needing gears installed.

Anybody with input on why this would be a bad idea?

Sounds like a good deal to me. I paid $1400 for my regear to 4.10s parts & labor done by a reputable shop with a guarantee on all is work including a no gear whine or leaks promise.

$1450, all parts, labor and warranty by a good shop. I spent another $100 for the front axel u-joints installed as well. Do it!
$1350 out the door, about two years ago. I took a gamble and went against the usual recommendations to let the installer supply all parts for warranty purposes. I purchased the RGA gears and master install kits myself for $550, and hooked up with a local mechanic who does pretty much nothing but gears. He sort of stays under the radar, but is considered by local 4x4 enthusiasts to be the "go to" guy for gear work. $800 total labor. My gamble seems to have paid off, as two years later the gears are quiet.

Around here, I figure 250-300 an end for parts, 200 per end labor. Locker choice on top of that. 50 bucks more per end labor if the ARB air line has to be drilled and tapped.