Does anyone actually spend this much money on clothes?

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
First and foremost, this post may seem like it has political undertones, but it isn't meant to be that way at all. Let's not turn it into a political discussion.

Anyways, the family and I were at Dick's Sporting Goods to get some new shoes. Usually I buy these Under Armour shoes that are around $60 and very comfortable. I like them for running and day-to-day.

I stumbled into the Nike apparel section and was curiously looking at the price tags of some of their clothes. A polyester athletic shirt to the tune of $70... yes, $70 for a T-SHIRT! What, does this t-shirt have some sort of magical powers I don't know about?

That wasn't all, I looked at a bunch of other stuff as well, and none of the shirts were cheaper than $40, with some of the pants being well over $100. Keep in mind this is all sports apparel too. We aren't talking about dress apparel or anything you'd wear to any place other than a gym.

My mind is blown... given how successful Nike is, this obviously means people are wiling to pay this outrageous price for something as simple as clothes?

I'm not exactly a fashion person by any means. For me, the best shirt someone can give me is a free one, or one I found at a gift shop in some small town for $10 on the for sale rack. Maybe I'm just out of touch with the world in general... but really, do people spend that much money on casual sports apparel?

I cringe when a pair of shoes or jeans are over $60!

First and foremost, this post may seem like it has political undertones, but it isn't meant to be that way at all. Let's not turn it into a political discussion.

Anyways, the family and I were at Dick's Sporting Goods to get some new shoes. Usually I buy these Under Armour shoes that are around $60 and very comfortable. I like them for running and day-to-day.

I stumbled into the Nike apparel section and was curiously looking at the price tags of some of their clothes. A polyester athletic shirt to the tune of $70... yes, $70 for a T-SHIRT! What, does this t-shirt have some sort of magical powers I don't know about?

That wasn't all, I looked at a bunch of other stuff as well, and none of the shirts were cheaper than $40, with some of the pants being well over $100. Keep in mind this is all sports apparel too. We aren't talking about dress apparel or anything you'd wear to any place other than a gym.

My mind is blown... given how successful Nike is, this obviously means people are wiling to pay this outrageous price for something as simple as clothes?

I'm not exactly a fashion person by any means. For me, the best shirt someone can give me is a free one, or one I found at a gift shop in some small town for $10 on the for sale rack. Maybe I'm just out of touch with the world in general... but really, do people spend that much money on casual sports apparel?

I cringe when a pair of shoes or jeans are over $60!

I’m with ya on this overpriced Nike crap. You can buy quality apparel for far less. In the spirit of not going political that’s all I’m going to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jack72
I’m with ya on this overpriced Nike crap. You can buy quality apparel for far less. In the spirit of not going political that’s all I’m going to say.

I get my athletic apparel (for the gym) for around $12 for a shirt and $18 for a nice pair of pants on average, and that's brand new. I guess I just don't understand how anyone would pay that much money for clothes. My mind is blown... I honestly didn't realize Nike stuff was so absurdly priced.

Reactions: MultiMotive
I get my athletic apparel (for the gym) for around $12 for a shirt and $18 for a nice pair of pants on average, and that's brand new. I guess I just don't understand how anyone would pay that much money for clothes. My mind is blown... I honestly didn't realize Nike stuff was so absurdly priced.

How much did you pay for your headlights??[emoji848]just messing with ya [emoji6]

I don't buy any clothing with a logo on it. I'm not a free walking billboard. I go to discount stores and buy off of their clearance rack. Always have. Always will. I'm in the process of delivering everything for my sons apartment in Seattle. Drove a box truck and spent two nights in truck stops for free. I'll spend money. I just don't waste it.

Somehow I always seem to be in the right place at the right time and end up with free t-shirts, or I ask for them. Currie gave me several free shirts with an order I placed a while back, as did Savvy, Extreme Terrain, and a number of others. Those are my favorite kind of shirts too... the free ones!

Reactions: fuse and KMG
part of my business is in the apparel customer customization business, Under Armour or Nike will only authorize only a couple places in a designated are to use their stuff so they can keep their prices very high!

part of my business is in the apparel customer customization business, Under Armour or Nike will only authorize only a couple places in a designated are to use their stuff so they can keep their prices very high!

Oh really? I guess that kind of makes sense. Though in all honesty I see Under Armour and Nike stuff for sale just about everywhere around here, including the Fred Meyer grocery stores in the apparel section.

all reasons why I love school uniforms, wish we had them here

no logos, no branding, all affordable, everyone is equal

Unknown.jpeg

Reactions: tquig01 and Chris
Nike has turned itself into a lifestyle brand, and in some ways good for them, they have been very successful at it. They sort of created a ath-leasure fashion trend which love it or hate it, is big business.

I used to distance run a lot, and Nike shoes are just not great for most people wanting to run any sort of distance (half-full marathon etc). They don’t have enough support and aren’t attuned to pronation/supination and sort of just average shoes. I still like a lot of their stuff (although sometimes pricey) but my first bit of advice to new runners is go and get properly fitted for running shoes, and most people don’t walk out a running store with Nike’s.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
Oh really? I guess that kind of makes sense. Though in all honesty I see Under Armour and Nike stuff for sale just about everywhere around here, including the Fred Meyer grocery stores in the apparel section.
yes you can find them retail in all sorts of places...but for silkscreening to teams and schools they keep a really tight reign on "authorized" suppliers. I can get Nike golf polos but nothing related to team wear.

Reactions: Chris
I normally agree, but I now spend upwards of $75-85 for a pair of Jeans at Buckle. The reason is that the jeans there just fit much better than anything I've bought anywhere else and they also have a much more comfortable feel to a lot of their denims.

Sure, they have really over-the-top fancy pants there for people that want elaborate designs on their back pockets or fake holes/tears. But they also have some good normal looking relaxed fit boot cut jeans that are more comfortable and better fitting than anything I can find anywhere else.

So, I ended up buying in to spending a bit extra here.

Also, while I don't pay more than $60 for sneakers, I'll easily pay $150 for a good pair of boots since you're paying for a lot more functional footwear than your average shoe.

For most of the other expensive fashion stuff though, I get that some people are really wrapped up in having specific brands and fashions, but most of that seems pretty ridiculous to me. While I know that some people just really want to appear trendy, the over-priced "outdoor" gear from places like The North Face, REI, and places like that tend to piss me off. There's just no reason most of that stuff should be at the exorbitant prices they charge.

@Chris do you ever make it to Chehalis or Burlington? There are Nike factory clearance stores there. I have had great luck getting clothes dirt cheap in those spots. There is a UA clearance outlet in Chehalis too.

$150 for boots I understand. I have a pair of Danners that are about $150, but that's a lot different than a $200 pair of sneakers that will fall apart in under a year. Those boots are leather and should last years if you take care of them. You can even resole them when needed.

As for jeans, I find American Eagle jeans fit me the best due to their 2% Spandex construction (so they flex just ever so slightly). Normally I can get two pairs for $75, which is an awesome deal!

Reactions: Equilibrium31
@Chris do you ever make it to Chehalis or Burlington? There are Nike factory clearance stores there. I have had great luck getting clothes dirt cheap in those spots. There is a UA clearance outlet in Chehalis too.

They have a Nike outlet store near me in Woodburn, Oregon as well as an Under Armour outlet store. The Nike one occasionally has some good deals, but I never really look too much. I always go to the Under Armour store because I can usually score a set of shoes for $60 or less, which is a good deal to me. I actually very much like running in my Under Armour shoes, they're comfortable.

$150 for boots I understand. I have a pair of Danners that are about $150, but that's a lot different than a $200 pair of sneakers that will fall apart in under a year. Those boots are leather and should last years if you take care of them. You can even resole them when needed.

As for jeans, I find American Eagle jeans fit me the best due to their 2% Spandex construction (so they flex just ever so slightly). Normally I can get two pairs for $75, which is an awesome deal!
Interesting. I never stepped foot in an American Eagle (for some reason, I just got an Abercrombie and Fitch vibe from them), but that's a good price for a pair of jeans that has some flex in them.

Interesting. I never stepped foot in an American Eagle (for some reason, I just got an Abercrombie and Fitch vibe from them), but that's a good price for a pair of jeans that has some flex in them.

Try them on. I wouldn't ever buy anything from American Eagle other than jeans. However, my wife shops there occasionally and it was her who suggested I try the jeans on. I'm glad I did, because having that spandex built into the jeans is absolutely amazing. You can bend over, sit down, etc., and your jeans stretch with you. Not enough to be form fitting or anything, but enough that it will give you a totally new perspective on jeans.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!

Also, for some of the shoes stuff, particularly with brands like Nike, I can understan
Try them on. I wouldn't ever buy anything from American Eagle other than jeans. However, my wife shops there occasionally and it was her who suggested I try the jeans on. I'm glad I did, because having that spandex built into the jeans is absolutely amazing. You can bend over, sit down, etc., and your jeans stretch with you. Not enough to be form fitting or anything, but enough that it will give you a totally new perspective on jeans.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!
Yea, it was finding jeans at Buckle that had additional flex in them that turned me on to the idea of shopping there. Good to know that there may be cheaper options out there for that though.