Does anyone carry spare sensors, etc. on the trails ?

TeeJohn

I recently had the somewhat good fortune of having my OEM crank sensor fail and then three days later the replacement failed as well. Both times the failure was in or close to town. This happened during a trip to Colorado to run some of the Jeep trails around Pitkin, Lake City and Ouray. I'd hate to have been broken down miles off the highway on narrow, rough, steep shelf road trail. While buying a the second replacement I bought a spare.
Neither failed sensor was physically damaged and the first replacement was professionally installed since I couldn't determine the problem with certainty.
Does anyone carry any of the other sensors for the engine? Any input on the most common failure?
I have a 2002 with 4.0l and 3 speed auto at 163,000 miles.

I'm still in the process of getting mine built, but no matter where I go or what I drive I always have my code reader with me. Having a few sensors for backup makes sense. Especially ones that can get damaged from below. Be interested what people carry.

I have recently gotten a TPS code so for good measure I carry an old one as a backup.

At some point I preemptively replaced all my sensors as they were all almost 20 yrs old, so depending on the trip I carry some of the old ones as backups for myself or anyone else who may be wheeling with me. As well as carrying a code reader now.

I have spares. They would probably do me good to have in my trail/gear box vs sitting in the cabinet in the garage.

I keep a crank position sensor in the seat back pocket. I need to build up my sensor collection. If it super easy to replace and can completely shut the Jeep off, I don’t think it’s a bad idea to keep one with you