Does anyone know what size the nuts are for the door pins?

OFFRD TJ

Folks, Does anyone know what size are those nuts for the door pins? I tried metric sizes 9,10 but they don't seem to fit snug.

Also, the nuts are kind of recessed inside the door pin holes. Is that how they are supposed to fit?

Do you mean the security nuts on for doors? If so it's a 13mm or 1/2 and it will be tight from the paint build up

If that's not what you are talking about can you be more clear?

Reactions: B252
I guess I wrongly assumed that a nut was attached but does not look like it (see pictures), but my doors do not want to come out
IMG-3485.jpg
IMG-3484.jpg
. I applied a good amount of PB blaster, but still, they are not even moving in the upward direction. I was thinking of wedging them using a jack with a piece of wood. Any ideas?

IMG-3482.jpg

IMG-3486.jpg

IMG-3487.jpg

If the bushings are old it can take a bit of force.

There is no nut in those photos. The doors should pop out. Even if there was a nut, you can still lift up the door maybe 1/8" before the nut catches.

Roll down the window, pop the strap, and lift up while opening and almost closing the door all the way from side to side. Put one hand in the center of the bottom of the door and pull up. Use the other hand on the top rail to stabilize.

Once you get it out, swap those bushings with delrin bushings to make it easier in the future. Here's a handy kit:
https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadrat...american-outlaw-ez-door-pin-guides-jeep-yj-tj

I think what the person asking the original question was,
What the thread pitch and diameter is for those nuts, not the wrench size.
I would hope most folks who wrench on their Jeep, know how to figure out what wrench to use.
I have seen this information but have not been able to find it again

Reactions: matkal
After applying a lubricant, take a floor jack with a 2x4 on top of it, place under door and gently raise the jack cylinder.

Reactions: matkal
If you’ll look a little closer at you crescent wrench you’ll see that one side is metric and the other side is standard. All you gotta do is flip it over for the correct size!🤫
Cool, now I can take one out of the tool kit. Saves space too.

• Haha
Reactions: nathanotis
I think what the person asking the original question was,
What the thread pitch and diameter is for those nuts, not the wrench size.
I would hope most folks who wrench on their Jeep, know how to figure out what wrench to use.
I have seen this information but have not been able to find it again
He clearly said in the first post that he thought the nuts were recessed so he was obviously trying to remove them and then in the pictures you could see where he had the wrench on the stud, which he assumed was the nut. I have seen people struggle because a 1/2 or 13mm fit really tight and a 14mm is too big

Reactions: Steel City 06
True, But most nuts for those hinge pins are actually use a #50 torx or at least that is what Jeep Crysler shows for the nut... I found the threads to be M6-1.0mm. I use nylock nuts of that size to keep mine from chattering over rail tracks and such. I wonder if I am not understanding which nut is being talked about.

True, But most nuts for those hinge pins are actually use a #50 torx or at least that is what Jeep Crysler shows for the nut... I found the threads to be M6-1.0mm. I use nylock nuts of that size to keep mine from chattering over rail tracks and such. I wonder if I am not understanding which nut is being talked about.
I’m suspecting he means the “threaded shaft” that the “nut” screws onto. It’s not called a bolt, dunno what the actual term is. Maybe he doesn’t understand that shaft is part of the door hinge and it comes off with the door.

I have never seen a tj use a #50 torx anywhere near the doors...can you show me an example?