Does anyone use a tow bar on your TJ?

Supplemental brakes are required by law in many states, and quite simply are peace of mind against liability if you were to be involved in an accident while towing. None of them work really well, but do aid some in the braking process. Picture trying to brake with the engine off scenario with no power brakes. Doesn't work so well. I use a Brake Buddy with my setup. It's basically a air compressor with a motion activated arm that is clamped to the brake pedal. Powered via accessory port in the dash.

Wait... how the heck does it apply your jeeps brakes? Or am I misunderstanding here?
Works exactly like surge brakes on a trailer. Play between the tow vehicle and the trailer activates the brake master cylinder so when the trailer leans on the tow vehicle it leans on the brakes. It also means you have to be careful and disconnect or disable it when you back up.

Used to flat tow my Jeeps but after a few scary incidents I bought a car trailer. I towed many times without incident but going around a sweeping corner the Jeeps wheels went sideways and I ended up skidding it’s tires for quite a distance before they finally straightened out. Those big tires with aggressive tread pattern sometimes have a mind of their own. Even when things are working properly you can feel the Jeep fighting against the hitch back there. I also believe flat towing is somewhat hard on steering components. My current Jeep spent its life being flat towed by it’s previous owner and the frontend steer components where completely shot. That all said I know plenty of people that flat tow without problems, mostly cars. I think smaller street tires work better but most Jeepers I know have gone to trailers. You can actually find used flatbeds for sale cheaper than a tow hitch. Those things are expensive.

Reactions: Viking Jeeper
I purchased a Smittybilt towbar which attached to the schakle mounts on the front bumper. As to lights, I have a hitch haul for the Jeep that I outfitted with lights since I often filled it above the factory lights with camping gear, so a 24’ trailer pig tail worked great to connect the tow vehicle and then you don’t have to worry about tapping into the Jeeps lights. I have plans to tow it more, so looking into adding some type of braking system.

I am considering doing something similar to this. You wouldn't be able to provide pictures of your towbar setup, would you?

I am considering doing something similar to this. You wouldn't be able to provide pictures of your towbar setup, would you?
We use a Towmaster Falcon towbar and a Brake Buddy to flat tow our 97 TJ. We hook up to the D-Rings mounts on our XRC bumper. It works great for us and it folds up small so you don't have to find a place to park a 16 foot long trailer.

I will say that one of the most important things is to use a breaking system in your Jeep. We will not row without one!!!

20191017_094523.jpg

20191017_094510.jpg

20190929_151549.jpg

20190929_151658.jpg

20191017_094516.jpg

20191021_131527.jpg

20191017_094516.jpg

Last edited:
I have an lj on 32’s tow with a roadmaster sterling and demo stay and play duo, not cheap but one of the best solutions

What brand tow bar do you use? I didnt even think about the brake lights thanks!
I’ve not towed my tj but.. I used to flat to my Cj occasionally.. it’s been years but iirc I had a Reese tow bar that I picked up at TSC. And a set of lights that plugged into the trailer wires on the tow vehicle.

I use a Falcon 2 tow bar attached to the tabs on a Smitybilt bumper, and a Readybrake braking system, behind a motorhome. Thousands of miles with no issues.