Does lug nut heft / size other than thread size / type matter?

DCTeater

Hi fellow TJ owners. I own. ‘98 TJ with all the mods. (Or at least a few) and I also now own a ‘19 JLU as my daily driver. I’m in the process of doing very light mods to it. I just upgraded tires and wheels. Original wheels were silver. I bought graphite/almost black. OEM lug nuts are silver. I bought aftermarket black lug nuts in proper size from ExtremeTerrain. They look ok but the heft/weight of the new nuts aren’t as substantial as the old lugs. What say the experts here. I searched first on both forums and a general web search. Nothing relevant in first few pages of search. So.....I came here. Thanks in advance.

image.jpg

AB1D4517-4B01-45C6-ADB7-284721D24036.jpeg

8EDDA56E-954B-405D-A74C-793FD71E6657.jpeg

Reactions: Chris
I don't think it should matter, but I always look to @mrblaine for fastener related questions like this, as he seems to be the guru of all things fastener related. Hopefully he'll chime in, as I'm actually curious myself.

Great topic of discussion.

Thanks Chris. It is an issue of first impression for me and apparently the Wrangler TJ and JL forums. I didn’t go to JK forums. I think the black lugs look better on the wheel but the heft/weight is so remarkably different that I couldn’t help but wonder. The flange (?) angle is the same on the wheel. The snugness is the same on the wheel but there is a little space you can see in the actual diameter of the holes on the wheel with the black.

The clamping force is from the taper, most are 60*. The rest of the body is along for the ride for the most part. The only other thing to look out for is you should have at least the diameter of the stud threaded into the lug nut. So 1/2 stud should have a minimum of 1/2 thread engagement into the lug nut.

The clamping force is from the taper, most are 60*. The rest of the body is along for the ride for the most part. The only other thing to look out for is you should have at least the diameter of the stud threaded into the lug nut. So 1/2 stud should have a minimum of 1/2 thread engagement into the lug nut.
Thanks. Not really sure what that means but it fits snugly. Didn’t appear to be any wobble. I took them off until I get a clearer answer. I’m gonna try to get some MOPAR OEM Charcoal gray or black lugs if I can. Just to be certain. I think the black looks better than the silver but I’m not ready to take that chance that they will hold the same until I get a definitive answer.

The taper of the stock lug and the ones you have are the same 60*. The body of the new one is smaller (doesn’t matter) and just make sure you have 1/2 of stud sticking through the hole of the wheel. (You should)

Reactions: DCTeater
I do. They both, New and old, have same taper. There is over ½ of stud(s) sticking through holes in wheels. I’ll give it a go tomorrow evening on all 4 wheels and test drive it locally before hitting the interstate with them.

Thanks Chris. It is an issue of first impression for me and apparently the Wrangler TJ and JL forums. I didn’t go to JK forums. I think the black lugs look better on the wheel but the heft/weight is so remarkably different that I couldn’t help but wonder. The flange (?) angle is the same on the wheel. The snugness is the same on the wheel but there is a little space you can see in the actual diameter of the holes on the wheel with the black.

The black lugs definitely look better with those wheels!!!

You're probably better off with the new solid lug nuts. Those OEM lug nuts are a two-piece design. The chrome outer cap is pressed on to a steel inner lug nut. Over time after taking them on and off, the chrome caps will loosen and separate from the lug nut.

I bought aftermarket black lug nuts in proper size from ExtremeTerrain.

Which brand are these? They look like the ones I had... rusted within a month. McGard is the only black nuts that I have found that haven't rusted.